Interpretations of the term "Cast Member"

Started by Javey74, February 06, 2008, 11:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javey74

Can anyone tell me about the term CM (Cast Member), where it originally came from and who's idea was to use this term within the Disney Company.

I have my own ideas....

Everything Disney does is based on a story in someway or another, a story can be then put into a play or film.  So everybody involved in it would be casted, each having a part or role to play within it.  So I suppose you would then be called a Cast Member.  :|

Though I've noticed that this term is applied whether you work in a Disney Resort or an assistant within a Disney Store.

I understand the term "Imagineer" better, basically an an engineer with a creative imagination, it speaks for itself.  But I find a "Cast Member" not as straight forward as it sounds, with a few different interpretations or reasonings.

Can anyone shed any more light on this term in general, or the people responsible for it and its wide use across the Disney Company  :?

Kristof

Walt Disney believed that Disneyland was a movie and that all employees were part of the cast, thus a cast member.  They also talk about onstage, backstage, etc. all movie related terms.

Javey74

Yeah,  now you come to mention it, I've heard the terms "Onstage", "Backstage" used quite a lot aswell.  :wink:  

So it was actually Walt that imposed the term on his staff.  So its been used ever since...Mmmm.

Thanks for that Raptor :D

Brervixen

The credits even roll in the movie (on the windows!) as you walk up main street at the beginning of your day, and then back down on your way home :)

The train station acts as a Curtain, unveiling the castle as you walk underneath.

The Posters in the train station are the "trailers" for the forthcoming attractions (all the rides in the park)

Never "rides" always, attractions
 =D>

So yes, the theme parks are a "show" and the Cast Members of the show help make the magic, even more magical.
Well Br\'er Rabbit, looks like I\'m gonna have to SKIN ya!

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Brervixen"The credits even roll in the movie (on the windows!) as you walk up main street at the beginning of your day, and then back down on your way home :)

That's very clever isn't it, is that actually how it's meant to be or your interpretation of it? :)

Kristof

QuoteThat's very clever isn't it, is that actually how it's meant to be or your interpretation of it? :)

It's true!  I think it was Walt's personal idea.  You should also notice the lights in the passage way under the train station.  Those are the same lights they used in the lobby of old movie theatres.

The original park was build by set builders and script writers and special effects artists... So they made their version of a theme park.

Jon

also a red brick path leading into the park to symbolise a red carpet for the premiere of a film because walt wanted the visitors to believe that they were the stars.
If we don\'t have the key, we can\'t open whatever it is we don\'t have that it unlocks. So what purpose would be served in finding whatever need be unlocked, which we don\'t have, without first having found the key what unlocks it?

Alpop

This is sort of going off topic now, but....

The posters under the main street station represent the up coming attractions.

Brervixen

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"
Quote from: "Brervixen"The credits even roll in the movie (on the windows!) as you walk up main street at the beginning of your day, and then back down on your way home :)

That's very clever isn't it, is that actually how it's meant to be or your interpretation of it? :)

That's what they told me on the Keys to The Kingdom tour in the Magic kingdom :)

I love the attention to detail!

Alpop, I mentioned about the  attraction posters already :)
Well Br\'er Rabbit, looks like I\'m gonna have to SKIN ya!

Alpop

Quote from: "Brervixen"Alpop, I mentioned about the  attraction posters already :)

Oops I missed that out of on 7 posts!!!!!