Disney's Paris trips

Started by tubbsy, April 07, 2013, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubbsy

Hi all! *Ducks as "older" members lob things in my direction and yell "Where have YOU BEEN!?!" *
I have been around, just lingering, reading trip reports and dreaming of the day we can take another trip. Well, we are booked and will be on our way in August! And I cant wait! (Need to sort myself out with a ticker to see how long I have!!!)

Right, shall we get back to my question? It might be a good idea!

For those not in the know - my son has Asperger's and can find things pretty over whelming. However he's a speed freak when it comes to roller coasters and loves Disney so ....  :thumbs:

Three years ago we planned to take a trip into Paris during our stay, but we never quite made it (apart from a memorable detour on a journey to Disney when our satnav took us through Paris and near the Eiffel Tower!)

I would love to do it this time, but feeling a little unsure with my son being over whelmed with it all. SO, I've been thinking about doing one of the excursions- then if it all goes well, maybe do another half day on our own using rail cards.

Has anyone done an organised trip? Or can give advice?

Cheers all!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia
August 2010- Newport Bay Admiral Floor
August 2013- Newport Bay Admirals Floor
August 2014 - WDW! Art of Animation Resort
August 2017- Newport Bay Compass Club

Epcot_Boy

tubbsy :thumbs:

I've not done any day excursions but I have done the Paris by night excursion, which was wonderful :) Paris by night has a kind of Magical feel about it, especially the Eiffel Tower. The only drawback that I can remember was that we didn't really wander too far from the coach, security I guess, so not sure how your son would cope with being cooped up for a long period in the coach. It, was however an impressive trip and one that I keep promising myself I will take again :)

David

DisneyDonna

On our last trip in November we went to Paris for half a day and it was really fun! The train/metro is really easy after you figure it out, but us Dutchies aren't really that used to the underground so that could be just us! One thing to realize is that everything in Paris is pretty far away! We thought it was a good idea to walk to the Eiffel Tower from the Arc de Triomphe and it nearly killed us. But if you do everything by underground it should be fine! I personally loved Paris :)

jeakat24

Quote from: "Epcot_Boy"tubbsy :thumbs:

I've not done any day excursions but I have done the Paris by night excursion, which was wonderful :) Paris by night has a kind of Magical feel about it, especially the Eiffel Tower. The only drawback that I can remember was that we didn't really wander too far from the coach, security I guess, so not sure how your son would cope with being cooped up for a long period in the coach. It, was however an impressive trip and one that I keep promising myself I will take again :)

Unfortunately they no longer do the trip in the evening. Gutted. But I assume one of the ones they do in the day is similar. They also have another now where you can hop on and hop off when you like-though I have no idea if either is any good. Good luck
Jan 2002- Cheyenne,
Nov 2004- Santa Fe,
July 2005- Santa Fe,
March 2007- Cheyenne,
Sept 2007- Cheyenne,
Oct 2008- HNY,
Jan 2010- Santa Fe,
Sept/Oct 2013- Cheyenne (Alice's first trip),
Feb 2015- DLH (Isaac's first trip and Alice's birthday trip)
June 2016- Sequoia Lodge

tubbsy

OOH! didn't know about the one you can hop on and off from!
Thanks guys :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

julesk

Hi.. We can highly recommend a day trip into Paris. We did the explore at your leisure option last year when our daughter was 4 yrs old. Not sure they do that option now but its cheaper to just buy your RER ticket at the station anyway. Our little one has a similar condition to your son, so taking things at our pace was perfect. We simply caught the train into central Paris, then paid for the Hop on/Hop off open top bus. It ment we had no deadlines on a group trip and she got to call the shots. It was an amazing day and as regular Paris visitors before she arrived we couldnt wait to show her all our fav places.  

A year on and she goes mad when ever she speaks about the day and see's Paris on TV. She wants to go back for another day trip this year when we go in May. She loved the open top bus, as she didnt feel trapped or out of control once. I truly think its a day for everyone. Stop off for fresh crepes and dont forget your pennys for the wishing wells.

We didnt use the metro at all and had no problems with the push chair on the buses.  :D

never2old

Welcome back tubbsy! :D

A friend of mine just came back from taking her daughers to Disney for the first time, and they also spent a day in paris. After going to see the Eiffel tower they took the bus where you hop on and off (City Sightseeing bus), and they loved it. She really recommends it!

tubbsy

Just costed up the Disney option for Paris and its ....  :shock: Yes, I know, I should have expected that.
So now we either dont do it because I am being a big fat chicken or we go on the train and then catch the hop on hop off open top coach .....

Reading through all your fantastic advice, I think I just need to get a grip!  :lol:  We are staying a week this time. (we have never done such a long trip!) so it would be really daft for us not to do it.

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

tubbsy

And thanks Never2old-I am a terrible member arent I? ;)   :lol:

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

tubbsy

OK, so being my usual anal self and have spent the morning looking at how we can do this :)
RER into Paris - then see Eiffel Tower, outside the Louvre, Notre Dame and other bits and bobs. I just need to work out which train station to go to-I'm thinking Notre Dame but would appreciate advice. Thanks all!

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

julesk

Quote from: "tubbsy"Just costed up the Disney option for Paris and its ....  :shock: Yes, I know, I should have expected that.
So now we either dont do it because I am being a big fat chicken or we go on the train and then catch the hop on hop off open top coach .....

Reading through all your fantastic advice, I think I just need to get a grip!  :lol:  We are staying a week this time. (we have never done such a long trip!) so it would be really daft for us not to do it.

You really need to do the day in Paris, as its an amazing day away from the park and a great experience. It isnt stressful at all and thats coming from a seriously nervious person! Use the hop on / hop off, its quite expensive but well worth it as it acts a lot like a taxi. Plus as you react the end of the day, do a full circuit on the bus. Its a great break and you see everything one last time. We got off the RER at Arc de Triomphe, then paid for the bus at the stop there. If you are worried about knowing which stop is which. Pop into the tourist info shop, the one between disney village and disneyland. They are lovely in there and will mark off on a map for you. Its easy to find the RER, station is relaxed and great signs. Your love it, honest.  :D

PS: If on your way back to Disney, the train just stops and the doors stay open. Get off, follow the locals and wait at the train track next to where you get off. We didnt have a clue and luckly a lovely CM on her way to work. Came over and told us what to do. The train arrived within a 5 mins and we got back with no problems all day.

tubbsy

Thanks Julesk. Thats really reassuring :)
Will do as you suggest and got see the tourist info shop. We've been looking at websites today, but getting info from someone face to face will be even better :)

Sam
October 2001-Santa Fe
June 2002-New York
August 2006-Sequoia
October 2007-Sequoia

polar vixen

We're hoping to go in september, and have wanted to do this the last 3 times we've been, but never had the guts.  I'll have 4 littlish ones, a 8yr old (with autism), a 4 yr old (being assessed for autism) , a 2 yr old, and a 6 week baby.  My only way of coping, and thiers is to have everything super over-the-top planned.  Could you please post a review of what youve done, how do you know which stops to get off for the bus?  What time do you leave/set off to return etc.  As much advice as possible would be HUGELY appreciated.
THANK YOU!

julesk

Quote from: "polar vixen"We're hoping to go in september, and have wanted to do this the last 3 times we've been, but never had the guts.  I'll have 4 littlish ones, a 8yr old (with autism), a 4 yr old (being assessed for autism) , a 2 yr old, and a 6 week baby.  My only way of coping, and thiers is to have everything super over-the-top planned.  Could you please post a review of what youve done, how do you know which stops to get off for the bus?  What time do you leave/set off to return etc.  As much advice as possible would be HUGELY appreciated.
THANK YOU!

I will try and do a trip Paris trip report this week but will need to pull out all my maps etc. Our daughter has sensory processing problems and needs strict routein and planning. Yet we didnt have a problem at all. One thing I would say is, (I know its hard) but dont over plan the day. Let the children guide you and DO NOT attempt the Louvre Museum. Its claustrophobic and really hot on sunny days. We where in there all of 5 mins before we had to make a seriously quick exit. Plus total nightmare with a pushchair. . As for the bus stops, again no planning needed. You get a map when you buy your ticket showing stops etc but the bus goes slow and you can see before you pull up whats there. Buses come something like every 10 mins so just wait at a stop (there easy to find) and before long you will be collected. Just flash your ticket and plug in your headphones if you want the tour communtry. Our daughter loved this, she was only 4 yrs old. The bus route is all tourish areas so you wont find yourself getting lost at all.

One tip we where given by family. Dont wear Disney tops, you stand out to pick pockets and keep phones/bags stucked away. We witnessed a police car in front of our bus, do an emergency stop and grab a man attempting to pick pocked some tourists. They where looking out across the water and had no idea (back pack on back) Police are great though and we had no problems.

Allow about an hour to get home, just go to the stop you got off and wait for a RER train. They are really regular. Its relaxing on the tarin and they have digital info telling you where you are so I just follow on a map as we go. But its clear when you reach you stop, its the cleanest , most modern stop we saw. Well sign posted too. .  We did our morning trip in rush hour and still found it easy.

We didnt use the metro, you wont need it with the hop on/hop off bus.  Plus loads of English tourists and helpful french people if you really needed help. Plus police on push bikes in most places. We did the Eiffel Tower years ago so didnt attempt the queues for that as it was about 3 hours. Think it was a wednesday we went?

Your be fine, just relax and have a great time! Oh and dont wear white, we got really dirty sitting on the open top bus. It was just dust as so hot.  :D

julesk

Quote from: "tubbsy"Thanks Julesk. Thats really reassuring :)
Will do as you suggest and got see the tourist info shop. We've been looking at websites today, but getting info from someone face to face will be even better :)

Your welcome  :D .. We grabbed a tourist info book from WHS which helped us loads. Its nothing like London there, its so breathtaking everywhere you look. Hope you have an amazing time. We are tempted to go again on our trip in two weeks but havent done the Aquarium/shopping day yet so in two minds what to do. I personally would go to Paris every year if possible  :oops: . Its diffent again by night, maybe next year  :cry: