19-21 february- Solo trip. Day 1 added!

Started by DisneyDancer92, February 22, 2013, 11:42:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyDancer92

Pre-trip story: I went for my first solo trip to DLRP in August 2012- I live in London so have the luxury of having the resort so close and not at a very expensive price either- even for a young student  :D . I got a Dream Annual Pass with the plan of returning at least 3 times a year. My original plan was to go in December- but due to a new relationship and various other stuff that wasn't possible (It is def on my list next year). Well after breaking up with said boyfriend- I decided the easiest way to get through it would be to go to DLRP. Booked the trip about a month ago- and having that light at the end of the "break up tunnel" helped me a lot. People were surprised I didn't want to go home to Denmark for half term- but to me DLRP has almost a much a feel of a second home (if not even more) than Denmark has- been like that all my life.    :D
As a young student I can't afford to stay onsite- so I stay in "Bussy-Saint-Geogres"- which is a lovely, neat little town (almost like an extension of Disney- very clean and safe- if I ever go to work in the park I will def live there)- I can highly recommend it to anyone watching their budget- it's only 10 min. (or less) by the RER- and you can get amazing offers at fine basic hotels. I stayed at Villa Bellagio for 2 nights- at the amazing online 50% offer of 50 euros!- bringing the total cost of my trip (excluding food) to around 100 pounds- what's not to love about that?  :thumbs:  :thumbs:
Now to the actual trip report:

Day 1- 19/2 2013:
My alarm went off to "Dancin' a catchy rhythm" at 5.30- mood set for the day. Had been waking up several times during the night of pure excitement. After a quick shower, breakfast and packing the last few items, I was on my way to St Pancras at 6.30- living in Victoria it takes barely 8 min., can't believe it used to take 2 days by car back when I used to go with my parents from Denmark, and now Im there in barely a blink of the eyes!
The Eurostar train departured at 8:04- with a half hour break in Lille Europe transferring to the TGV to Marne Le Vallee. Arrived at DLRP at 12:07.

The first thing I noticed was the absolutely beautiful weather. Not a cloud in sight and a warm sun shining. It felt so good to be back. At this point I was very hungry- so went to Mcdonald's for a salad and some fries. Took a quick walk through Disney Village- didn't really visit it in August, it was quite deserted though.

Finally off to the parks. Started at Disneyland Park- went to the guest storage (thank you very much DLRPmagic for all the info) to check in my big bag, which was very easy and free because of my dream pass.

Walking unto Mainstreet again was an amazing feeling- especially with the beautifull weather. The Park looked better than ever- and there was a good amount of people in the park too, without it being crowded. The music, the smiles, the atmosphere- that warm feeling the stomach. Nowhere like Disney.

Went for a walk inside the castle- and outside for a view over fantasyland. My normal first ride of every trip has been "Blanche Neige"- which was unfortunately closed, its my fave ride so made me kinda sad- but went on It's a small world  instead. It seemed to be working very well- all the animatronics were in superb condition. Fantasyland is my fave land in the park so always spend a great deal of time just walking around taking it all in.

Went on "Pinocchio" after that (which is another of my faves- I love fantasyland dark rides)- and then for a walk around Adventureland. Very sad to see Pirates closed- made Adventureland seem a little dead. Went over to "Big thunder mountain" to get a fastpass. This is a ride I had never been on before- and with a couple of my fave rides closed I found it was time to figure out what all "the fuss" was about. More about that later.

Went on "Phantom Manor"- amazing and creepy as ever. I don't know if it's just me, but the ride seemed darker (as in less lit) than normally. Several times I could see nothing but pitch black and several of the hallway scenes seemed very dark too. Also noticed light improvements in other places- the whole ride seemed fresher and more creepy- Can anyone confirm any of this?
After a walk around Frontierland I got a sudden urge to visit the studios. One of my goals of the trip was to finally ride "Tower of Terror"- after watching videos on youtube the excitement had built over the last couple of weeks.

On the way to the studios I passed the "party train". I have heard quite a lot of criticism towards the train itself and the new colours, etc- I have to say I think it looks amazing at the moment. I love the colours and the theme. Seeing the characters- especially Minnie and Mickey always makes me very happy. I don't have any need to "meet/greet" them anymore- but I love watching them interact with guests and the smile on children's faces- so cute!
Over to the Studios. I really felt a huge draw towards the studios this trip- and actually spent as much time in there as in Disneyland Park. This came as a huge surprise to me- there was so many attractions I hadn't been on in years- and the feel of it along with the beautifull movie music kept me coming back several times.

The line for TOT was only about 10 min. so I figured the time had come, and I might as well do it right away. I was very excited, but so scared! Can't even count the times I regretted my choice. The theming of this ride and the queue area is absolutely stunning. Can really see why people love it so much. I actually even got the pre-show in English- how lucky can you be? As I got to the boiler room I was so nervous and kept thinking "What in the world have you put yourself up for?"- I went on a free-fall-drop tower in Tivoli in Copenhagen about 10 years ago (63 metres)- and the memory of that experience had kept me away from TOT. Seated in the elevator I was regretting it more than ever- could barely concentrate on the "dark ride" part- just waiting for it to drop- which it eventually did! I was very surprised how short the first drop was- and in general how much fun the ride is. It was never unpleasant- and I enjoyed every second of it- gives you the most amazing thrill in your stomach. Felt a little shaky as I left the elevator- but I was in love, and it ranks right up there as my new fave thrill ride in the parks! :D/  :D/

Went to watch "Animagique" after that- which is one of my fave things to do as well- it's lovely and Donald was really funny this time around- then a stroll around "Toy story playland". I really like the theming, didn't feel like riding any of it though- the lines were very long so that will have to wait till another visit.
Suddenly ended up at "Rock N' Roller coaster" which I haven't been on in 4 years- it was supposed to be a 20 min. wait- but ended up being more like 45- very annoying- but the roller coaster itself was so much better than I remembered- more intense too, especially the beginning.

It was about 4.20 now. As a dancer and performer I'm used to eating dinner very early (performances etc)- so I figured it would be easier to get a table now than later. Went to "Restaurant en Coulisse" and got the "4 cheese pizza"- I really like that place, the music, the lights- the pizza wasn't that good but it was okay.

It was time to head back to Disneyland  Park for "Disney Magic on parade". As it wasn't very crowded and I'm 6 feet (and can look over most people) I quickly got myself a nice spot down at Town square. I must admit that this parade is not exactly my favourite. I loved the old "Once upon a dream"parade- it was probably the best Disney parade the park have had- but I do like the two new floats- and if they had made a whole new parade with that theme I would have been happy as well- but the mix of the two (as well as cutting out several characters and the villains) does not really fit. Nevertheless I do enjoy watching it- it's still Disney after all- and I love the last float with Mickey & friends :D .

After getting in a really good mood from all the magic and characters (the new song "Magic everywhere" is quite nice too) it was now about 5.30 and I decided to go and check out the waiting time for "Space Mountain". Luckily for me it was only 15 min.- and turned out to be only about 10. In general SM had quite short queues, never above 30 min. and more likely 15, I'm not really sure why as both BTM and Indiana Jones had the usual "60 min." queues through most of the day.

After a very thrilling trip through space I walked around Discoveryland. In the past I have never spent too much time there- but apparently this was "trip of the opposite"- and I was determined to ride "Star tours" for the first time as well. The queue was about 30 min.- so decided to come back the next day.

By now it was getting really dark- almost pitch black apart from all the lights- and can I just say how beautiful the park looks at night in the winter when all you can see are the lights- wow! The park had gotten less crowded after the parade as well- so it sometimes felt like you were all alone in some magical kingdom. :D
Went over to BTM. Because of all the excitement of TOT and the studios I had missed my fastpass slot- the waiting time was now "40 min."- but figured it was now or never since I was just walking around waiting for Disney dreams anyway. By the time I got on the ride it was about 7- and even darker than before- so it was all very dramatic and exciting. This was my first time on the ride (I know!)- and I can really see why so many people love it. The theming is absolutely fantastic- and I will have to ride it in daylight some time to be able to appreciate it even more.

Back to Mainstreet. It was getting quite cold- and went to look at the shops while waiting for "Dreams". This would only be my second time seeing it- so barely remembered the order the scenes, etc. It was beautiful and the "Tangled" bit almost made me cry as well as the finale. Of all the fireworks and "light shows" I have seen at Disney parks this is by far the best- it is truly unique and special  =D> - and kudos to Disney for showing it all year round- most people stayed to watch it and it was a very magical end to a lovely day. :thumbs:

Went back through Disney village (having a quick look at "World of Disney") and then on the RER train to Busy Saint Georges. The hotel was only 5 min. walk from the station- and was very nice (I'll review it by the end of the report).
Once I got in bed I could finally feel how tired I was- and after about 5 min. I was fast asleep dreaming of Disney and the next day of magic.
-To be continued  :mrgreen:

" No matter how your heart is grieving,
If you keep on believing..
The dream that you wish will come true"

Elaine

loving your trip report - we also did Tower of Terror for the first time ever this week - and loved it, its my favourite ride now  :thumbs: . We rode Phantom Manor at least half a dozen times because BTM was being temperamental and Pirates being down, and sometimes the lighting was very dark, sometimes it was a bit easier to see.

BlackPearl

Thanks for sharing your report.
Hope to read more soon  :D

Robert97

Great report  :D

Ravenseye

Thanks for sharing that, love the pics too!
Disneyworld 1990
Disneyland Paris 1996, 2002, 2004, 2013, 2014...

SwipatronSparks

loving your report looking forward to more =]
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....