Solo Traveler Gives Advice About Travelling Alone

Started by bad-pink-tink, February 06, 2013, 05:34:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bad-pink-tink

I am heading to DLP for my second solo trip at the end of March.

I go to Disneyland California every year with friends , I have been there 3 times and trip number 4 will be in the summer. While I really enjoy the Disney experience with friends, in 2011 I decided to try DLP as a solo traveler.  

I have done city trips as a solo traveler and I really enjoy the freedom to explore and just loose myself in new experiences, so I was really looking forward to just doing my own thing in Disney without having to fit in with other people needs.

I enjoyed that trip so much that I am heading back to DPL as a solo traveler at the end of March 2013 . My first trip I stayed at Hotel Santa Fe and this time I am trying Sequoia Lodge. I will be back and let you all know how my trip was  :)
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

SwipatronSparks

sounds like fun looking forward to your report =]
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

Rafael

Looking forward to reading your report :)

disney-dan

I just did this and hated it but obviously you enjoyed it so hope you have a fab time
Have a Magical day!!

DD

princessemily

Would love to do this some day, when the kids all grown up, and I only have myself to please.  You should check out the Disneyland Paris forum, on Tripadvisor.  There is a poster there, called Figgygirl, who has done some very successful solo trips.  You will find her reports under the general trip report heading.  
Happy planning.
Sequoia  Lodge - May 2004
NPBC- September 2005
SL - June 2006
SL- June 2007
Ch -December 2007
NY - September 2008
SL - March 2009
SL- March 2010
NY - March 2011
SL - January 2012
Ch - March 2012
NPBC -March 2013
SL - February 2014
Ch - February 2015
Ch - November 2015
NPBC -March 2016
NY - November 2016
SL - April 2017
SLGF - March 2018
NY - Nov 2018
Cheyenne - Nov 2019
NY Nov 2021

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: "SwipatronSparks"sounds like fun looking forward to your report =]

Hi SwipatronSparks  :)

Quote from: "Rafael"Looking forward to reading your report

Hi Rafael  :)

Quote from: "disney-dan "I just did this and hated it but obviously you enjoyed it so hope you have a fab time
Hi disney-dan I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your trip. Can I ask why? Did things like eating alone in restaurants, or going on rides alone make you feel awkward?  Have you done other solo traveler holidays?  I'm not bothered about eating alone at restaurants, I just bring a book with me. I have traveled alot on my own, and I just love the freedom of exploring and new experiences. I go to Disneyland California with a group of friends and it is a very different experience as a solo traveler.

Quote from: "princessemily "Would love to do this some day, when the kids all grown up, and I only have myself to please. You should check out the Disneyland Paris forum, on Tripadvisor. There is a poster there, called Figgygirl, who has done some very successful solo trips. You will find her reports under the general trip report heading.
Happy planning.

Hi princessemily
yes it is a very different experience when you dont have kids or even other adults with you. OOOh thanks for that I will check out Tripadvisor and find Figgygirl's posts  :)

DisneyDancer92

That sounds exciting- cant wait to read your report :D and nice to meet a fellow "solo-traveler"- I did my first solo trip to DLRP last August- and doing a similar trip again in 10 days. I can only agree with what you said about freedom and being able to do exactly what you want- I enjoyed my first trip solo to DLRP alot and cant wait to get back. In general I also dont mind doing things on my own- if I want to go see a show Ill just do it- I like the freedom of being independent.
If I could find someone equally in love with the place to go with me I would of course choose that- but doing it alone has another kind of charm, and as long as I get to go to disney- I dont really mind :D

" No matter how your heart is grieving,
If you keep on believing..
The dream that you wish will come true"

lauralouisemidwinter

When is your trip, ours  is the 24th of March :)
Laura Louise

My yesterday is your today, My today is your tomorrow.

DLP - 2011 - May/June - Santa Fe
DLP - 2012 - February - Santa Fe - VERY COLD
DLP - 2013 - March - Santa Fe
DLP - 2014 - September Santa Fe - CAN'T WAIT

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: "DisneyDancer92"That sounds exciting- cant wait to read your report :D and nice to meet a fellow "solo-traveler"- I did my first solo trip to DLRP last August- and doing a similar trip again in 10 days. I can only agree with what you said about freedom and being able to do exactly what you want- I enjoyed my first trip solo to DLRP alot and cant wait to get back. In general I also dont mind doing things on my own- if I want to go see a show Ill just do it- I like the freedom of being independent.
If I could find someone equally in love with the place to go with me I would of course choose that- but doing it alone has another kind of charm, and as long as I get to go to disney- I dont really mind :D

Hi DisneyDancer92 , great to meet another solo traveller, I hope you have a great time  :)  exactly, if I want to see a show I will go too. Last time I spent nearly the full EMH on Peter Pans Flight.  The CM were very helpful and let me stay on as there was no one in the queue, so I went round and round for nearly an hour. Its stuff like that you can only do on your own, cos I know if I was with other people they wouldnt have wanted to stay on as long as I did. Later in the day I did the same with POTC. As soon as the ride ended I went right back to the front and went back in again.  I did this a few times in a row as the wait time was very short  :)  When I go to Disneyland in California Im with friends and I cant get to go back in a ride like that.

And talking of the EMH, I know that if I was with my friends, trying to get everyone up in time,to have breakfast and be in the park before 10am would be impossible. Being on my own, I can just get up and go without having to wait for anyone, knowing that we are wasting time when the park has opened.

Quote from: "lauralouisemidwinter "When is your trip, ours is the 24th of March

Hi lauralouisemidwinter omg, we will be there the same time  :mickey2:  I arrive 25 March and leave 27 March

lauralouisemidwinter

OMG we travel on the 24th so our days in the park are 25th and 26th :D
Laura Louise

My yesterday is your today, My today is your tomorrow.

DLP - 2011 - May/June - Santa Fe
DLP - 2012 - February - Santa Fe - VERY COLD
DLP - 2013 - March - Santa Fe
DLP - 2014 - September Santa Fe - CAN'T WAIT

PrincessHi

Hello there!
I'm really looking forward to reading your report - I have just booked a trip to DLP in September which will not only be my first visit but my first solo holiday too! I have taken short trips in the UK alone before though and I don't mind things like eating on my own etc so I'm not really worried about it - I'm just really excited to be finally going after years and years of wanting too  :cheshire_bounce:

It will be great to read your report though and any tips that you have for me  :thumbs:

orangarnold

I am thinking of a solo trip to DLP at some point soon too, my friends aren't big roller coaster fans so its hard for me t go on the rides I want to go on. Will look forward to your report

bad-pink-tink

great to see so many positive reactions , thank you everyone  :)

It seems lots of you would like to do solo trips too but are a bit unsure as people always think of Disney as somewhere you go with your family or group of friends.  

People think nothing of doing solo city trips or going inter railing around Europe on their own, to me doing a solo trip to Disney is exactly the same.  A long as you are aware of your own personal safety and do proper research,  doing a solo trip to Disney is actually alot safer than doing a solo city trip.

I always make sure I have a book, my mobile phone is fully charged and I am very aware of my surroundings, picking out landmarks I pass so that I familiarize  myself with where I am and how to return that place.  Also some simple street smart things, like only staying in well lit places where there is traffic , both people and cars, making sure I have a secure handbag which I keep on the front of my body and if I don't have a bag, I make sure my phone and money are in secure inside pockets.

Also another trick I use, which doesn't really apply in Disney but is more for city solo trips. I don't look like a typical tourist,
If I go to London for example, I wont have my camera around my neck, I wont wear or have visible a hat or bag or clothes from the tourist shops, you know the  " I heart London"  stuff. I wont wear my "good holiday clothes" I wear my normal clothes which I would wear on a regular shopping trip to my local shopping centre.  I don't walk around holding a map, either a street map or tube map.

I used to live in London and would often meet my friends at one of the tube stations on Oxford Street.  While waiting for my friends, "spot the tourist" was my favorite way to pass the time.  The clothes were the first giveaway. You could always tell a tourist couple from a local London couple, cos they would be dressed in very obvious holiday clothes, usually with a camera in their hand and the woman would have a bag which you knew was not her regular every day handbag.  

On the tubes, "spot the tourist" is easy too. My trick is to always look like you know where you are going, don't hold the tube map in your hand. Plan your route before hand,  check the map BEFORE you go on the tube. London people need to plan their routes too, but London people use the maps on the walls of the tubes or in the tube stations, not the paper maps.

DisneyDonna

I'm thinking of doing a solo trip as well, however I'm only 18 years old, is this a bit too young regarding safety?

bad-pink-tink

Quote from: "Donuttiejj"I'm thinking of doing a solo trip as well, however I'm only 18 years old, is this a bit too young regarding safety?

It depends. Some 18 year olds are very streetwise, and mature, while others are not.

Things you need to ask yourself

Do you still live at home or have you ever spent time away from your parents like at a holiday camp.
How do you feel when your family is away and you are on your own for a few days.
Can you plan your day without supervision.
How would you feel about going into a restaurant, ordering a meal and sitting at a table on your own.
 Do you have a good sense of direction or do you rely on people to bring you places, are you aware of your surroundings. Have you ever taken a flight or any sort of transport  on your own.
Do you speak French, how would cope on your own in a country where you dont speak the language.
Do you get anxious and afraid when you are on your own and in a place you have have never been to?
How would you cope being on your own using an unfamiliar currency (if your home country does not use Euro)
How would you cope with unfamiliar food which you have no idea what it tastes like and not seeing food items which you take for granted at home.

You dont need to post your answers, just seriously think about every angle. People forget that Disney is in France, and that when you land at the airport everything is in the French language.  Landing at Charles De Gaulle you still have to get yourself to Disney, which is approx 40 minutes travel from the airport.

It really depends on the person, how mature and independent you are, how capable you are of looking after yourself.  Disney itself I would say is great place for a first time solo traveller.