A Dream Year Part 4 - June 2012

Started by Sulley's Arms, January 30, 2013, 12:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sulley's Arms

Back in October we embarked on a journey that would involve buying Dream Annual Passes and visiting DLP during Halloween, Christmas, February (Magic Moments Festival) and June (20th Anniversary).  There was destined to be an extra couple of days at the end of our Summer Holiday in August as well, but they were just really planned to break up my overlong drive through France, rather than being an official part of our Dream Year...

Part 4 – Day 1

This trip was a little different to the others, in that we travelled during the day rather than overnight, arriving at around 5pm.  The weather was lovely on the journey down, in fact it got warmer & sunnier as the day wore on, so that by the time we reached DLP it was 28deg. (which unbelievably was a whole 40deg. warmer than the coldest point in the Feb trip).

I had planned a surprise meal at Café Mickey for 6pm so we went inside The World of Disney first, as this had only opened after our previous trip and so we spent a while in there, browsing all the things you can't get anywhere else in the Parks.

I then sprung the surprise on everyone that we were dining with Mickey and hid friends; this went down very well indeed!  It was pretty busy, with a small queue outside but we got inside and were shown to our table, which was not in the main part of the restaurant but in the glass annex to the side.  There was a large party in there when we arrived, (who all looked, and sounded, like they were having great fun!) although they were finishing off so after 5-10 minutes or so the noise level dropped quite a bit (it was a bit like being in the swimming baths at first, where the noise bounces off all the walls, LOL).  While we were there, Mickey came over to say hello, closely followed by Tigger, Pluto, Goofy & Scrooge McDuck, who I've never met before.  The meal was good (though not really worth the premium, to be honest) and the drinks refreshing!

Now it was time to venture over to DLP for the evening, starting at the Disneyland Hotel (no characters ?) and sweeping through as many of our fave rides as we could, navigating the large weekend queues.  It's strange only turning up at tea time but still having 6 hours of fun!  In Winter the main park is only open for 8 hours (without EMH)!!

One of the main points of note was that on Pirates of The Caribbean the swinging pirate was back - he'd just been hanging stationary for 2-3 years of our visits, so it was good to have balance restored to the Universe.  Savvy?

We chose not to do Dreams this evening, as we would be up early next morning for a day in Paris...  

So "Day 1" a big success (a big tick in the 'Fun' box) and off to get some sleep before venturing into the Capital the next day.
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

Sulley's Arms

Day 2

After a day scooting around the City of Lights (would recommend going up the Montparnasse Tower, by the way – incredible views, not least being able to look down at the Eiffel Tower!!) it was late afternoon and time to spring surprise no2 on the family, which this time involved dining at Crockett's Tavern (we weren't staying at the Davy Crockett Ranch but you can pre-book to eat there and the Reception give you the code for the security barrier, allowing you to go down to the main complex (play park, bar, restaurant, shop, etc.).  This is one of our favourite places to eat whilst at Disneyland (it holds some great memories of our previous trips) and so everyone was buzzing when I pulled off the motorway and drove into the entrance lane  ;) .  We met Donald at the shop (The Trading Post) dressed in his Davy Crockett outfit and got his autograph and a couple of lovely photos.

After this treat it was back in the car and over to DLP again for the second evening stint.

On this holiday, the Carrousel de Lancelot was due to be closed after today so we went on that first!  Another cool thing was that on this trip we had a different camera so could video in low light (and in HD, LOL), which meant I could record POTC the whole way round ;).

This evening we were able to see Fantillusion, which was great, particularly as we were able to get a better spot to stand than at Christmas, LOL.

As closing time approached we went round to Thunder Mountain as the queue had died down a lot.  As soon as we got off (didn't break down this time either!) it was a quick dash to Central Plaza, ready for our premier viewing of Disney Dreams (woooh!).  I had seen that there were various videos of this show on the web but I had resisted the temptation to see it ahead of our actual trip.  WOW, how amazing is that show??  We stood speechless for a couple of minutes at the end ? before making our way (very slowly) back to the car and then the hotel for a very welcome night's sleep...
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

Sulley's Arms

Day 3

Our first full day at DLP began slightly later than the traditional early manner we have become accustomed to (well, we have to catch up on sleep at some point!).  So, after a small lie-in and substantial breakfast, we were standing in Fantasia Gardens by around 9am, admiring the recently re-paved flooring (this was all closed-off in Feb).  The Parc was still fairly empty at this time, allowing a fair number of rides during the rest of EMH, plus POTC, BTM, Phantom Manor, etc. after 10.  We opted for a Fast Pass for Buzz by 11-ish, as the queues were growing steadily, which was the theme for the day – busy but not stupid, queues but not traffic jams (you get the picture ;) ).

In early evening we took up a good viewing position in Fantasyland for Disney Magic on Parade!  Yet another brilliant example of how Disney do what they do.  The Fairies at the beginning are just superb, 'floating' around the parade route, all in sync with each other.  Amazing.  DW booed Capt Hook, and he started climbing down the stairs of the float to challenge her about it, LOL.

A pleasant evening followed, with pleasant weather, and the opportunity for a spot more shopping (mostly the window variety as always), plus the ability to wander around Alice's Labyrinth (it's odd thinking about this during Winter that you can still walk around DLP in a T-shirt at 9.30 at night during June!), as well as a further visit to Pirates and Thunder Mountain.
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

Sulley's Arms

Day 4

This morning was spent over at WDS, for a last go on all the favourites and back over to DLP for the afternoon.  For dinner today it was the main surprise event of the trip – announcing to the guys that we'll be dining at The Blue Lagoon, no less!  Pirates is probably in the Top 3 rides for each of us (I should ask them all at some point!) and we've often said how nice it must be to eat in that restaurant overlooking the ride.  Well, our table was 'beach-side', right next to the passing boats, which couldn't have been better for our experience.  I'd said this was a one-off special treat so make the most, and DW did!  She had the "I'm really expensive with lots of courses" Menu, LOL.

We really enjoyed the food (I even loved the Caribbean Salad, which I wouldn't have expected...) but I have to say, the main event for me was the Crème Brulee dessert, which is delivered flambéed.  Just what is the best setting for your camera to get the full effect of the flames, whilst still being able to see the dessert as well, when you're sat in a moonlight-effect nighttime setting??

As we had dined fairly early, we were able to go across and catch the Parade for the second time (cool, it's almost as if somebody planned it that way ;) ).  It had somehow started raining (I hadn't even noticed any clouds when we went in to the restaurant) so when we reached Small World to get a place I could see Ariel aboard her float from behind the huge gates that were still closed, but she was under an umbrella, which looked funny since she's a mermaid, LOL, so shouldn't really mind a little rain!

A few more rides and then we decided to head back to the hotel early, as we would have to pack, etc. ahead of our final day tomorrow.
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

Sulley's Arms

Day 5

So, yet another final day was upon us, which meant simply doing as many rides as we could.  I always find these days a bit odd, as we wake up as usual, have breakfast as usual, do EMH as usual, and do all the best rides as usual.  It's just that shortly after lunch we have to leave, climb in the car for the 3-hour drive to Calais and a few hours after the crossing we'll be at home.  In Normalsville.

Lunch was at the Earl of Sandwich (this is at risk of becoming a final day regular fixture!), followed by one last visit to the stores in the Village and, inevitably, that long walk back to the car park ?.

Still, we can't be sad about it.  After all, we'll be back at some point.  :D

Did I mention we're having a Dream Year  ;) ??
Trip Counter
Nov 07 - DCR [4d]
Mar 09 - DCR [3d]
Feb 11 - DCR [4d]
Oct 11 - Kyriad [3d]
Dec 11 - Adagio [3d]
Feb 12 - DCR [6d]
Jun 12 - Crecy Golf [4d]
Aug 12 - Crecy Golf [2d]
Feb 13 - Adagio [4d]
Dec 13 - Crecy Golf [3d]
Feb 14 - DCR [5d]
Mar 15 - Sejours [4d]
Feb 16 - Kyriad [4d]
Dec 16 - Offsite [3d]
Feb 17 - Adagio [4d]
Aug 17 - Offsite [2d]
Dec 17 - Offsite [3d]
Dec 18 - Cheyenne [3d]

Rafael

I really enjoy reading your report. Thanks for sharing! :)

BlackPearl

Nice report, sulleysarms, thanks for sharing  :D

TigerLily

Lovely trip report Sully!

One or two questions if that's ok? What time in June did you go and (although I read that day 1 was hot and that there was a bit of rain on day 4) what was the weather like throughout?

Bet you are really enjoying your Dream Year :D