travelling by car using euro tunnel advice and tips needed !

Started by Minne&Mickey92, November 22, 2012, 11:11:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minne&Mickey92

Hi all ,

Basically we've booked a last minute trip , christmas was so magical last year we just couldn't miss another christmas visit and a chance to catch dreams again ! were staying for 3 nights at the santa fe and driving to disney using the euro tunnel.
We usually fly and have been once by eurostar so were a bit clueless about driving to Disney and using the eurotunnel etc. would be great if anyone can give any advice , tips or essential information about getting there , the euro star , french roads etc , parking at the hotel as much info as possible basically!  Off in 2 weeks cant wait !!

thanks

Clo :pluto:  and Craig :nemo:

Little mermaid 240

Hi
We are doing the road trip (so we don't have weight restrictions) for the first time in March and would love to get tips as well :)
Thanks
Little Mermaid x

captain rocket

It's all fairly straight forward. With Eurotunnel you stay with your car for the crossing and it is frankly boring but quick, and no seasickness!
When you leave the arrival area you will find easy to read and follow signs for Paris, the driving part of the trip will take between three and four hours. There are plenty of rest stop areas on the way and a few with restaurants and filling stations. Follow the motorway towards Paris, when you pass the toll booth near carry on towards CDG airport and  look for the signs for Marne le Vallee and this will take you to the turn off for Disneyland which is clearly signposted. When you get to the turn off for the resort follow the signs for hotels, not for Disneyland Park. You will come to a roundabout and pass the Newport Bay Club on your left. At the traffic lights carry straight on and the Santa Fe is on your left.
There is a filling station with shop at the entrance to the hotel.
When you check in, you will be given a map which will show the location of your room and the nearest parking area.
It's all fairly straight forward and all you have to do then is have a good time!
Don't forget to look on one of the motoring organisations sights for what you have to carry in your car, like flourescent jackets,spare bulbs and now I believe an alcoholic breath test machine! The French police are known for "selecting" English registered cars for checks and on the spot fines for transgressors!

Zee79

Quote from: "captain rocket"Don't forget to look on one of the motoring organisations sights for what you have to carry in your car, like flourescent jackets,spare bulbs and now I believe an alcoholic breath test machine! The French police are known for "selecting" English registered cars for checks and on the spot fines for transgressors!

Halfords usually have the list for what you need. Breath test are needed, again they sell them but if you have time can order online as cheaper- this is what we did. Don't forget you need light reflectors for your main lights and GB somewhere on the car- if number plate has it then this will do.
 We've been traveling to Disney by car for a while now and we are much more relaxed. Used tunnel for the first time in the summer and loved it (used previously on coach). We travelled last Christmas from Dunkirk just as Britain was battered by storms and it was horrendous! i swore i would NEVER travel by ferry again! Force 10 crossing the channel! it took 3 1/2 hours instead of 2 and i was green for 3 days after haha. Will be booking tunnel shortly for our trip in May

MinnieMum

Hi,
We use the eurotunnel a few times a year for visiting family so have become quite accoustomed to it. I much prefer it to ferries as it is much quicker and easier with small children.

We try to book a crossing for breakfast or lunchtime (depending on which way we are going) so that we can eat on there and it saves stopping again for a meal.

My words of advice would be to be aware that if you arrive early or late you get put onto the next available train, sometimes you may have to wait and other times you have to drive straight on. So if you were planning to buy anything in the shop you may not have time. Sometimes I have really fancied getting a burger king and not had time! So we always take some food/drinks for the kids in the car with us. There are toilets in the train so you don't have to worry about that.

There isn't much at the terminal on the uk side it's pretty much just like a service station, on the french side there is a big shopping centre next to it called City Europe, I've never been but my parents often stop there.

andlorna

We have used The Euro Tunnel the last 6 times we have been to Disneyland Paris and much prefer it. You can take as much as you want and dont have to worry about luggage allowance etc. My two kid's love going in the car as they can watch as many dvd's  or have a nice sleep.We live in Liverpool so travel down the day before stay over and get an early tunnel crossing. It takes about 3 hrs to get to Disney and is pretty straight forward. You will have to pay a toll charge. Just set it on your sat nav and you should have no problem. As people have already said there are certain things by law you have to have ie high vis jackets that must be in the car and not the boot...you can check this out online. We take lot's of drinks and snacks to take into the park with us as it can work out quite expensive for soft drinks etc.  The kid's also love it as they dont have to limit what they can buy and bring home any size toy etc. If you have a Tesco Clubcard you can use your points and get money off the cost of the tunnel. We also include insurance and breakdown cover when we book. We go in Feb and are really looking forward to it. If you need anymore info please feel free to ask any questions........enjoy your trip :D
PREVIOUS VISITS,
Oct 06, Santa fe 3 days
Oct 07, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 08, Sequoia 4 days
Oct 09, Sequoia 4 days
Dec 09 New Year
Oct 10, Cheyenne 4 days
April 11, Cheyenne 4 days
Feb 13, Cheyenne 5 days
Feb 14, Cheyenne 5 days
Oct 14 Hipark 4 days
Nov 14 Hipark 4 days
Feb 15 Santa Fe 5 days
May 15 Hipark 4 days
Augt 15 Hipark 5 days
Feb 16 Cheyenne 5 days
April 16 Hipark 5 days
Aug 16 Hipark 5 days
Oct 16 Hipark 5 days
Dec 16 Sequoia new year
Next Trip
Oct 17 Hipark 5 days

Ravenseye

Quote from: "MinnieMum"Hi,
We use the eurotunnel a few times a year for visiting family so have become quite accoustomed to it. I much prefer it to ferries as it is much quicker and easier with small children.

We try to book a crossing for breakfast or lunchtime (depending on which way we are going) so that we can eat on there and it saves stopping again for a meal.

My words of advice would be to be aware that if you arrive early or late you get put onto the next available train, sometimes you may have to wait and other times you have to drive straight on. So if you were planning to buy anything in the shop you may not have time. Sometimes I have really fancied getting a burger king and not had time! So we always take some food/drinks for the kids in the car with us. There are toilets in the train so you don't have to worry about that.

There isn't much at the terminal on the uk side it's pretty much just like a service station, on the french side there is a big shopping centre next to it called City Europe, I've never been but my parents often stop there.
Ive used the tunnel, its fast and easy. We were on a trip to City Europe and I just wanted to say its well worth a visit, perhaps best on the return trip. Theres a range of shops to suit most tastes and its a nice place to stop and eat, Pauls was good value with alot of choice. Theres also a hypermarket there called Carrefour, many things cheaper than in the UK especially Bonne Maman jams which we used to buy along with very good fresh bread from the bakery there as a taste of France for breakfast the following day.  :)  
Have a fantastic trip  :D/  
Disneyworld 1990
Disneyland Paris 1996, 2002, 2004, 2013, 2014...

Minne&Mickey92

thanks to everyone for all of their advice ! , its been so helpful theres lots i didn't know to be honest , especially as far as the breath test thing goes time to hit ebay i think!
I also didn't know about the toll roads on the way to dlp :) This will be our 8th trip to disneyland paris first by car , but very excited about going by car might have a wander around that shopping centre city Europe too :)
Thankfully we've managed to save alot of money travelling this way as we used tesco clubcard vouchers , so its only cost us £19 for the 2 of us ! and we got 1 night/day free on the hotel , bargain !
well thanks again for all your help and i look forward to posting all about the trip when we get back :)

Boxy

Just to let you know the Toll charge is 21 Euros each way and Amazon sell the breathylysers (pack of two) aswell.
Have a wonderful time.

polar vixen

Hi everyone, inextension to this, does anyone know of a driving option if your car has an autogas conversion - we went on the fery a couple of weeks ago but it was terribly rocky and both my hubby and  I ended up in the toilets for both of the trip emptying our stomachs :x .  it was NOT a nice end to our holiday. We'd love to use the tunnel, but have been told we can't because of the autogas, any other options (we stay at Davy Crockett Ranch, so need to drive there).
TAHNKS! :D

Little mermaid 240

Thanks for the tips :)
Little Mermaid x

Little mermaid 240

Hi

We have a return trip for 20:50 on a Wednesday, what time would you leave Disneyland?  Is there a rush hour in France or is it just a British thing?

Any pointer would be great :thumbs:  

Thanks
Little Mermaid x

merlin

We have a return trip for 20:50 on a Wednesday, what time would you leave Disneyland? Is there a rush hour in France or is it just a British thing?

Any pointer would be great

Hi we have driven to dlrp 6 times and we have never made our return tunnel booking I go on a 3-12 drive if we make the booking time fine if not you get the next one.
Don't kill yourself rushing and the worst case senario my cost you max £20 if they consider you have gone to a higher charge bracket

Little mermaid 240

Thanks, that's good to know :D
Little Mermaid x

jax

Hi with reference to driving in france the following items are compulsary to have :
A Warning triangle,  Spare Bulb kit, GB Sticker (or on numberplate), Headlamp convertors,  A High vis Vest (this must be inside the car not in the boot, I carry mine draped over the back of the seat which makes it easily seen and easy to slip on if necessary.  They do recommend a vest for each passenger.  Breathaliser Test,  They also recommend 2 because if you end up using 1 on your journey there you have 1 for the opurney back.  These must also be NF approved.  

They also recommend a first aid kit, and a fire extinguisher.
The journey is very straight forward and very easy to drive.

I always drive down to disney and have done so for the last 14 years.  No baggage allowance makes it much easier and if you have kids you can just throw everything in the back of the car.  
If i use the Euro Tunnel I always take their breakdown cover and insurance as it seems to work out cheaper through them.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy your trip...