Pete's Dragon's Near Perfect Trip Report : Finished !!

Started by Pete's Dragon, September 06, 2012, 03:45:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aurora1

Great report,thank you for letting us a part of it.
Your kids are really cute.
QuoteI wish I could have seen you going past everyone in the queue, carrying a pair of green shoes and a tiara.... :D :lol:

puts a smile on my face, too!!

Looking forward for te rest!

Aurora1

Pete's Dragon

Tuesday 4th September

Sorry this has taken so long but my internet has plagued me all week. The plan for the day was to finish off the WDS, that meant getting in the queue for Crush. We got to the gate at 9.30am and there was already a few lines forming. Strangely one line had 5 people in it - we chose that one. The outer queues were then told by the CM that they were standing at the exit. Then our gate was the first open. Everybody, and I mean everybody ran. Joshua managed to keep up and we were 5th in the queue. It's a mad scramble yet its all in good fun without any angry pushing, I highly recommend getting involved. Heck, Disney should make it a tradition, maybe have Mickey dressed as an official with a starting pistol.

By 10am the queue stretched back all the way to Studio 1. Crush was a good as always. Afterwards the boys and the girls split up. We headed for RC Racer and they went for Slinky. Expecting a 40min+ wait we decided to meet up at the notice board in an hour. To our surprise the queue time said 5mins, so we had 3 goes in a row. Each time to queue grew slightly longer each time. Luckily we spotted the girls and they waited for us.

Yip. That's me in the front. The big kig in the Jungle Book T-Shirt flapping his arms like a giant bird

Next Elisha and I went on the Parachute Drop which had scared her last year. But now after a double scoop of RnRC it was nothing to her

Next we headed over to Stitch where a really pushy group of Italians joined us, sadly. When they let us into the main waiting area we stood at the door leading to the front of Stitch Live, right on the yellow line. Next thing I knew we were ambushed in a pincher attack from either side as these pushy Italians slipped in front of us like crabs. Ah well. Stitch was in top form. When he picked out the adult for Space Prison he chose someone called Kristof from Belgium ...... it couldn't be ........ it wasn't, lol.

We split up again. Joshua and I headed for RnRC and then the Tower of Terror. Subi and Elisha went to the Flying Carpets and then watched the parade.

And that was that. It was late afternoon, and far too warm to stand in queues (weather report said 25C), so we headed back to the hotel to rest and pack, giving us as much time tomorrow before the train at 2.30pm.

We came back to the Disney Village at 6pm, just as La Grange was opening. I can't quite explain what the gentleman in the following picture was doing, but he kept shouting Merry Xmas as he slapped his skies off the pavment. Did about 3/4 laps. could have been doing it all day as far as I know.

The plan tonight was Big Thunder Mountain after the sun went down. Once again there was no fastpasses left when we got there, so we decided to come back at 8.30pm and queue. So off we went to POTC for a final time. We came back at 8.30 and the queue time was 25mins. Perfect.

Now for those who are familiar with the BTM queue system, it splits into 2 lanes, but the split is hard to spot. We would always go for the outside lane as it stays close to the windows. Strangely no-one else seemed to realise there was 2 lanes. As a result we walked all the way to the final staircase, receiving a lot of dirty looks in the process. Not my fault they were all noobs  8) . Not surprisingly everyone started to jump the barrier. As we had gotten on so quickly, it wasn't quite dark yet, so we went straight back on. This time the outside lane had people in it, lol. But we still managed another go before 8:45pm. Subi had had enough, but me and the kids headed back for a 3rd go. This time the sun was down, and the red light were on. Brilliant. Loved it. Best BTM experience ever.

So as the sun set slowly in the west, we bid farewell to Frontierland for what we thought would be the final time. We headed to World of Disney and let the kids go mad with their spending money. They bought so much, and the queue for the shuttlebus was so large, we decided to treet ourselves to a taxi ride.

Now that everything was packed we had roughly 6 hours tomorrow to get our last fix for Disney Magic.

To be Concluded !!

Pete's Dragon

Wednesday 5th September - The Final Day

Dropped our suitcases off at the train station and headed into the park for the last tip :-(  When we got to the start of main street the police car pulled up. We tried to get on but sadly we were stopped at the foot of the stairs. But as luck would have it (and we've had a lot of luck on this trip already)  we got our own private car 1 minute later.

We took a walk around the top of the castle and then down to the wishing well. The plan was to go around Discoveryland and then to Pizza Planet for lunch at noon. But we decided that we weren't in the mood for pizza. I suggested we try the Cowboy Cookout. Usually we'd go to Cafe Mickey for breakfast, but we were boycotting it due to the bad service last visit.

So after a quick whizz around Buzz and a final back-breaking Space Mountain adventure it was only 10am. We headed to Casey's Corner for a coffee, and then off to Frontierland. As we had milked BTM for every drop the previous night we headed to Pochauntas's play park to let the kids work up an appetite.

Even us big kids need to work up an appetite

11:30 - time for a cookout. Now Cafe Mickey is fine. You get a nice breakfast (if you're lucky) and some nice photos with a maximum of 6 different characters. But it isn't a patch to the level of interaction we had at Cowboy Cookout. When we first entered Woody and Jessie were dancing in the main corridor, Donald was playing hide and seek in the far corner and our kids ran off before we'd even ordered.

We finally rounded the kids up, got our lunch and sat down near a big, bright window. I looked around and saw that Woody had joined the service queue. The woman in front of him didn't notice at first, but she started to realise something was a bit odd. She turned around and screamed. Buzz flung his arm up in the arm and the woman laughed.

First to our table was Donald. He posed for some photos and then took Elisha for a dance up and down the restaurant. Wouldn't get that at Cafe Mickeys !

Woody had finished scaring the customers and was next over. We tried to get a 2nd photo with him but Pluto burst into frame. Bad Doggy !

The characters changed over, but some were identical to the ones that left. So we got a second visit from Donald. Elisha took him she was her favourite and he actd all shy and embarrassed. He waddled off behind a post and blew kisses at her.

It didn't look like Jessie was coming our way so the kids ran after her.

Josua tried to pull a make-believe gun on Woody, but Woody quickly reminded my son who the Sheriff was in these parts

And finally another helping of Donald, only this time he had something in mind. Check out the video. Don't worry, only the first 15 seconds are filmed sideways.

[youtube:38n3p5nv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpIjK-voW8M[/youtube:38n3p5nv]

If anyone is in any doubt which is better value - Cafe Mickey or Cowboy Cookout - I hoped I've swung you. I enjoyed it as much as the kids did. The only quibble I would have is that is it quite dull inside and isn't the best set-up for photos.

12:45pm. I had a plan long before this holiday started, that the last thing we were going to do was Cinemagique. I can't think of a better way to end a holiday. The only showing we had time to watch started at 1:15pm. Once again our sense of timing was impeccable as we arrived just as they were letting everyone in. And I not ashamed to admit it but I cried and left the cinema wearing my sunglasses. Awwwww 8)  :cry:

Time for the train? Not quite. We had about 20mins left and the parade was just about to swing by. Elisha climbed on my back and we headed off to catch a last glimpse of some characters

Bye Bye Mickey

So that was it. Our time was up, quite possibly forever. What !?! Elisha is 7 and the perfect age and gender. But I get the feeling Joshua is getting to old for the magic of Disney. He spent the entire holiday looking or Marvel merchandise and came away empty handed.  As for me and Subi, we couldn't quite shake the 'been there, done that' feeling. The thrill of discovery we got from our first couple of visits has long gone and we really missed it this time. Maybe if they build another park, or add a land that's bigger (and a lot better) that TSPL, and we had the money for the Castle Club we could be tempted to return.

For now it's time to move on. So as we boarded the TGV for the airport we waved goodbye to what has been our holiday destination for the last 8 years. 6 trips, including our honeymoon. From the Disney Hotel, Newport Bay and Sante Fe, to the Val D'Europe and the Adagio Aparthotel. Au revoir Disneyland, et merci  ;)

I've saved my favourite photo till last

The End .........................................

never2old

I love that video!! I want to dance with Donald too!!

Great end to a brilliant report PD! Thank you!!

Rafael

Amazing trip report. Thank you very much for sharing.

petals

luv the video. Cowboy cookout sounds fun! Do you have to book that in advance?

Little mermaid 240

Loved your report :thumbs:

We did the cowboys cookout in June being a all adult group it was the first time we had tried anything like this so glad we did it was brilliant  :D/

The only sad thing is that it's stopping in November so want be able to do it again :cry:
Little Mermaid x

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "petals"luv the video. Cowboy cookout sounds fun! Do you have to book that in advance?

You can, but we didn't. Admttedly we arrived well before the lunch rush

petals

Quote from: "Pete's Dragon"
Quote from: "petals"luv the video. Cowboy cookout sounds fun! Do you have to book that in advance?

You can, but we didn't. Admttedly we arrived well before the lunch rush
Maybe I'll try that :)

DutchBrit

QuoteOur time was up, quite possibly forever. What !?! Elisha is 7 and the perfect age and gender. But I get the feeling Joshua is getting to old for the magic of Disney. He spent the entire holiday looking or Marvel merchandise and came away empty handed. As for me and Subi, we couldn't quite shake the 'been there, done that' feeling. The thrill of discovery we got from our first couple of visits has long gone and we really missed it this time. Maybe if they build another park, or add a land that's bigger (and a lot better) that TSPL, and we had the money for the Castle Club we could be tempted to return.  

Sounds like it's just time to move the location to Florida....plenty of variety over there with superheros galore plus Harry Potter etc etc. You could certainly get there for what they'd want to charge you for Castle Club!

I'll certainly be considering it myself as soon as I can imagine my son on an 8 hour flight without shuddering ;)

norhel

Great report :-)
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

Javey74

Great finish to your Trip Report PD..  =D>  =D>  =D>

You have given me that 'want to return right now' feeling again, thanks for that..  :D

I totally agree with your preference to the Cowboy Cookout, we did that last time and really enjoyed it, but yes, not a great lighting area for photo's..  :thumbs:

I must say I love the Castle end pic with the sunset, so wonderful and a picture you just had to be there at the right place and the right time. Well done..  :D/

Great read, thanks again for sharing, I feel bad now about mine..  :oops:

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "DutchBrit"
QuoteOur time was up, quite possibly forever. What !?! Elisha is 7 and the perfect age and gender. But I get the feeling Joshua is getting to old for the magic of Disney. He spent the entire holiday looking or Marvel merchandise and came away empty handed. As for me and Subi, we couldn't quite shake the 'been there, done that' feeling. The thrill of discovery we got from our first couple of visits has long gone and we really missed it this time. Maybe if they build another park, or add a land that's bigger (and a lot better) that TSPL, and we had the money for the Castle Club we could be tempted to return.  

Sounds like it's just time to move the location to Florida....plenty of variety over there with superheros galore plus Harry Potter etc etc. You could certainly get there for what they'd want to charge you for Castle Club!

I'll certainly be considering it myself as soon as I can imagine my son on an 8 hour flight without shuddering ;)

Florida is a strong possibility, hopefully in a few years when my wife has finished university. And yes, the thought of my 2 children on a long-haul flight makes me shudder like Sideshow Bob

lynny

started reading as you wrote but thought i'd wait till the end to coment!

wow! really really enjoyed and what a gorgeous family you have.....i myself even after 9 yrs visiting have never written a report...for
1.i dont think i'd write a good report
2. my pics are not up to standard
3.unless i write down every night/day what i did i'd get confussed
 but anyway i love reading everyone else's and your was up there with the best...makes me want to go right now  :thumbs:
HOTEL CHEYANNE JUNE 2000
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2006
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2007
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB CHRISTMAS 2008
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2009
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2010
HOTEL NEW YORK LAKE VIEW HALLOWEEN 2011
HOTEL NEW YORK UPGRADED TO LAKE VIEW MAY 2013

SwipatronSparks

Quote from: "lynny"1.i dont think i'd write a good report
2. my pics are not up to standard
3.unless i write down every night/day what i did i'd get confussed

you shouldn't let that stop you, really there is no such thing as an 'up standard photo' if you like the pictures you take then they are 'up to standard' for the forum, you could do a mini report and shove your pictures up for us all to see =], and believe me there is no good or bad reports here on the forum because everyone writes in a completely different way! , (i haven't even completed mine and my trip was more than a year ago now :oops: )  and as for part 3, if you don't remember everything that's fine too, just tell us about the best bits, you by no means have to give us a blow by blow of how you spent every second of every day if you don't want to some pictures and a short tale of your trip will be just as good a read as pete's blow by blow trip you have just read =]
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....