Trip Report 3-5 August 2012 Sequoia Lodge

Started by fiona, August 06, 2012, 01:47:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiona

Spent a lot of time on these boards before my trip, so thought I should give something back.

We arrived Friday lunch time, checked in, told the guy at check-in it was my birthday (true, my 28th) so he gave us a VIP breakfast pass. Was dead nice as we could eat when we wanted and didn't have to queue. Room was standard, Big Sur lodge, had a safe, you really don't get anything beyond the bare minimum in the rooms, but it suffices and the room was nice.

Headed into the Studio park around 2pm, queues were all 15-30mins except Crush's Coaster, which stayed at a constant 55 minutes. We kept thinking the queue would go shorter, but this is the shortest it was our whole trip. We headed to the Studio park at 9.30am on the Saturday morning, but everyone else does the same thing so we probably still queued about an hour for the ride. So worth it, though. We queued again another couple of times for it because it's so awesome.

Last time we were at DLP was 2004, and back then I LOVED Indiana Jones and Space Mountain, but now they rattle your head so much we only went on each one once. Spent a lot more time in the Studio park and just wish it was open longer. Maybe by 9pm the queue for Crush might be bearable!

We ate at Blue Lagoon the first night, got lucky with a walk-up table, but the guy serving us was difficult to understand and a bit grumpy... Our food arrived about 5 mins after we ordered it, though. Insanely fast. Delicious food. We then ended up with a different server, and she took about 20 mins to bring us the bill even though we'd asked twice. We then tried to give the money to another server on our way out, as we didn't want to leave all that cash just lying on the table for someone to nick, and she wouldn't take it and told us just to leave it on the table. The food was great, but the staff were so unfriendly and unhelpful. Not great.

For lunch every day we went to the place opposite Rock N Rollercoaster with the High School Musical theme. The food in there is really nice and cheap. Saturday dinner we went to Annette's, which was good. The food wasn't as good as Blue Lagoon, but the portions were massive and the service was friendly and nice!

On the Saturday, the park was busier than it had been on the Friday. Unsurprising, I guess. But on the Sunday it was MUCH busier still. In 5 hours we got on 5 rides, and one of those was Fastpass!! As well, that was monitoring queue times on the iPhone app (really helpful but doesn't work in a lot of the indoor/covered queues and often needs the Refresh button hammered a bit to re-recognise that I'm within the parks), so we were trying to pick the quicker queues.

Found it weird that some people had absolutely no concept of personal space in the queues? There were multiple times I had people resting their boobs on my back. It's sort of understandable (although still annoying) when it's kids who maybe don't realise, but a lot of them were adults.

Disney Dreams was amazing, and we headed to find a spot quite late (10.30-10.45) each night and still got really good places to stand.

Flew Easyjet from Glasgow to Charles de Gaulle, which was all totally great, apart from Terminal 2B at CDG being a total dump. Far too steep a drop back to reality after Disney.

gemma2806

I do love the pictures you've taken with the black and white effect they're great. Hope you enjoyed your trip despite the queues!!

Pete's Dragon

Love the photos. More Photos !!!!

P.s. if you thing 2B is a dump, you've never flown into Terminal 3. Oh. Dear. Lord  :?

fiona

Well, here's some more photos
//http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b58/donkeyjacket45/disneyland%20paris%202012/

I'd have posted more in the first place, but they're all pretty boring/the same as anyone else's who has ever been to Disneyland...

ed-uk

Thanks for the report - loved your pictures - brought back memories from our trip in July.  We stayed in the same hotel,  (there were ants in the room we were {ground floor in lodge}) but they moved us straight away to the another room but this time in the main building.
Ed & David

lynny

lovely trip report but your pictures are amazing! do you mind me asking what camera you use as the firework and nighttime shots are fab and i'm on the look out for a new camera that will do just that:-)
HOTEL CHEYANNE JUNE 2000
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2006
HOTEL NEW YORK HALLOWEEN 2007
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB CHRISTMAS 2008
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2009
HOTEL NEW YORK EMPIRE STATE CLUB HALLOWEEN 2010
HOTEL NEW YORK LAKE VIEW HALLOWEEN 2011
HOTEL NEW YORK UPGRADED TO LAKE VIEW MAY 2013

fiona

The camera I had with me is a Canon SX220HS. It's a tiny wee thing with a big zoom and good manual controls. It does HD video too. I recommend it to everyone. It's £150 in Jessops just now. http://www.jessops.com/online.store/pro ... /show.html

Thecharacterhunter

Did you see any characters in the park?
Previous Disneyland Paris trips:
12th - 15th June 2012. Hotel: Santa Fe hotel. I met these characters: Donald Duck, Mickey Mouse, Peter Pan, Princess Aurora, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Buzz Lightyear, Pluto and Daisy Duck.

fiona

Yeah, but not a lot... I wasn't looking out for them too much, but I definitely didn't see any just ambling about. They were all in specific spots with big queues.

never2old

Great pictures! One silly question maybe, did you take them in B&W or edited them later?  I'd never seen pictures of Dreams like that before and they look really nice!

I have the SX210, I love it, particularly the zoom!! Of course it wasn't long after I got it that they released the SX220...

Thank you for sharing your trip with us!!

fiona

Took them in colour and changed them to B&W later :)

hawian rollercoaster

Hi fiona do you have any pics of the rooms at sequoia.