Cars Land Opening Day photos

Started by mattboywonder, July 15, 2012, 02:32:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattboywonder

Firstly, this is not a blow by blow trip report – just sharing a few pictures and experiences of the re-opening of Disney California Adventure and of course Cars Land and Buena Vista Street.

Our four days in Disneyland were spent at the end of a 3 and a half week trip in the USA travelling from Chicago through 10 states and just under 3500 miles to reach California.

We arrived  at our motel in Anaheim on Tuesday night 12th June after spending the day at Universal Studios Hollywood.  On Wednesday 13th, we returned our rental car very early in the morning so we could be at DL for opening at 08.00am.
After a couple of hours we went over to California Adventure to get our fastpasses for World of Color and spent most of the day at DCA, as it would be shut all the next day as final preparation were made its grand re-opening.

That evening was a big press event Cars Land and the re-opening of the park and the red carpet was already out.

You could actually see most of Buena Vista Street (the parks new entry area and version of Main Street,USA) but not access it.  You could just about see some of Cars Land

Thursday 14th DCA was closed so it was like the old days at Disneyland when there was just one park.
 My all time favourite ride.....
DCA was supposed to open on Friday 15th at 10.00 but a CM on Wednesday told us 09.00am and another CM outside DCA on Thursday told us 08.00am

Friday 15th June – the big day!!!  I had heard about people camping out all night outside DCA to be first in line – we got there at 06.00 am with our coffee from McDonalds.  There were wrist bands given out to ensure you could not cut in line and the plaza area was marked with lines for everyone to wait.
In typical Disney style, it was all very well organised.
Good Morning America had been broadcasting live outside the park

The atmosphere in the waiting crowd was very exciting -  I felt really lucky to be there especially as this trip was booked before I knew the Cars Land opening date.
About 8.30 they let some people inside the park gates (maybe 1000) and there was an re-opening day dedication ceremony with Bob Iger.  Of course, Mickey showed up and there was a bit of singing and dancing.  This was broadcast on a big screen outside the gates for those of us who were not in the first 1000 allowed in through the gates.  
Then Bob Iger and Tom Staggs symbolically opened the gates to the park gradually (without any pushing or shoving) we were all let in and the crowd decended upon Cars Land.

Whilst my partner got us fast passes for Radiator Springs Racers, I took advantage of the single rider line, which had a 10 minute wait.  When was had rode, that had gone up to 30 minutes.
Mater's Junkyard Jamboree – we waited about 45 minutes for this – its lots of fun
If you have ever seen those Cars Toon shorts, you will recognise some of the props in the queue line which shows off Mater's past.
The whole area is amazingly themed.

We didn't actually ride Luigi's Flying Tires – it was a 2 hour line!!

Radiator Springs Racers kept breaking down – even with fastpass we still waited about 90 minutes I loved the way everything is made to look old The ride itself is amazing

The area was really packed and you could hardly move in the stores.  My partner saw a woman try on a sweat shirt in a store whilst in line for a check out, her husband have her another one on a hanger which she paid her then they walked out – without paying for the one she tried on!!!!
Buena Vista Street
The statue of young Walt is really nice
We eventually went back to the motel (about 15 mins walk away) for a rest and went back in the evening so see Radiator Springs lit up
Buena Vista Street
Saturday 16th was our last day.  We spent most of the day at Disneyland before going to the airport for our flight that evening
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

dagobert

Thanks for sharing your beautiful pictures!

I can't wait to see Cars Land on my own next year.

Epcot_Boy

The theming does look remarkable :)  Yours photos certainly help to bring it alive. Thanks for sharing this part of your holiday with us :thumbs:

David

petals

OMG they have Oswald plushies!

mattboywonder

Quote from: "petals"OMG they have Oswald plushies!

They even had Osward ears, which looked kinda weird coz they are long and floppy
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008