DLR | Marvel theme park

Started by Josh, June 26, 2012, 10:48:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josh

Although it's technically still a rumour, Disney are now seriously considering an entire theme park based on the Marvel franchises, which would be built where the Toy Story car park is (directly south east of DCA). Walt Disney Imagineering even have a rough draft of such a park planned out.

It will only be built if it's proven that DCA is able to attract visitors on its own. Also, they'll need to increase car park and hotel capacity. But ultimately, it seems likely that it will become a reality.

http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al062612a.htm (scroll to the second-to-last section)

Personally, I hope it doesn't happen. They can't base a park on one similar set of franchises. Every other park is able to stand on its own with their own artistic message embedding in their whole ethos, but this kind of park won't. Disneyland is escaping us into "dreams come true", DCA is about working to fulfil your dreams, EPCOT is about different cultures living together for a better future, etc. Would a Marvel park give a message like that? I doubt it. Disney parks are meant to have broad themes that touch on big concepts.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ford prefect

I have no issue with a Marvel theme park.  Marvel started out as Timely Comics in 1939, so it is only a few years younger than Disney.  

It is as American as Disney with themes as strong as Walt's idealistic approach.  

EPCOT as a concept was not envisaged as a theme park, the true concept of EPCOT was finally realised as the Town of Celebration.

EPCOT now relies on big ideas and inventions, world community and environment.  Topics that frequently crop up in Marvel.

So, no.  I think a Marvel by Disney theme park would be great.  The issue lies with politics and intellectual property rather than concept.

I am not sure we will see one in the USA, however I wouldn't be surprised to see one in DLP, Tokyo, Hong Kong or Shanghai
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

ford prefect

Whilst you could argue that DCA and Marvel are similar, the target audiences are very different.  

The artistry behind the 2 is significantly different and stylistically opposite.

There was a degree of snobbishness amongst fans around the Marvel merger, however I can see lots of strengths in it.  Th fly in the ointment is Universal.

Josh

Quote from: "ford prefect"EPCOT as a concept was not envisaged as a theme park, the true concept of EPCOT was finally realised as the Town of Celebration.
Yes, but I wasn't referring to the original EPCOT. :)
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ford prefect

but you have missed my point.  Marvel is about strong stories and ideals.  Exactly the same as Walt!

|Q|

Uhm, i think that when (more than "if") this "Marvel Park" becomes a reality, it won't be a "Marvel Park", cause i think Imagineers know very well that a theme and a brand are 2 different animals, but it will be more a Park tailored to be a cpmfortable home for those IPs and stories. I mean, I see a park with an overall concept similar to a classic Magic Kingdom park, but rendered in a style less sugar-coated. As an example, while most Disney parks have the sci-fi area built around a concept of a more beautiful tomorrow, a Marvel park could have a sci-fi land based on a dystopic, post-apocalyptic future depicting a ravaged cityscape with giant sentinels dominating the skyline. I think it could end up as something pretty bad*ss (of course the sentinels would be the partially animated pilons of a major coaster)

Oh, and of course, Marvel brings also the EASIEST way to bring DINOSAURS in a park without the time travel gimmick. In the Marvel Universe there is the Savage Land, a Lost-World like lost continent where Disnosaurs are still alive, and where usually Magneto is based with his Brotherhood of Evil Mutants (this wouls be great addition to Animal Kingdom, if they could use Marvel in Florida)

Q

ford prefect

Quote from: "|Q|"?..As an example, while most Disney parks have the sci-fi area built around a concept of a more beautiful tomorrow, a Marvel park could have a sci-fi land based on a dystopic, post-apocalyptic future depicting a ravaged cityscape with giant sentinels dominating the skyline. I think it could end up as something pretty bad*ss (of course the sentinels would be the partially animated pilons of a major coaster)

Q

Oh, I like that! Let it be built!

Josh

Quote from: "ford prefect"but you have missed my point.  Marvel is about strong stories and ideals.  Exactly the same as Walt!
Which is why I've got no problem with a Marvel ride or land, but an entire park gives a limited scope on theme. If they want to expand the park, they have to use Marvel stories. Plus, it's risky. What if Marvel's superheroes become less popular in the future? That's not a problem with just a ride; you can get rid of it. But not an entire park. It'll need far more than a $1 billion makeover if it fails.

The parks usually have an even split of 50-50 between attractions based on franchises and based on original stories. I just don't like the idea of a park that uses exactly the same plot genre in each ride and with the same characters.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

|Q|

Quote from: "Josh"Which is why I've got no problem with a Marvel ride or land, but an entire park gives a limited scope on theme. If they want to expand the park, they have to use Marvel stories. Plus, it's risky. What if Marvel's superheroes become less popular in the future? That's not a problem with just a ride; you can get rid of it. But not an entire park. It'll need far more than a $1 billion makeover if it fails.

Actually, i'm pretty against a only Marvel land in a wider park, cause it would mean stuffing too many different things together (if it's goin to be a not-only-marvel park i think they should mix stuff together). Anyway, most Marvel charcters have been famous more than 60 years now, i don't see them fading into obscurity anytime soon.

Quote from: "Josh"The parks usually have an even split of 50-50 between attractions based on franchises and based on original stories. I just don't like the idea of a park that uses exactly the same plot genre in each ride and with the same characters.

I really don't get why it should be always the same plot in each ride. Marvel offers a really wide universe to play with. The main difference is than Marvel characters exist in a cohesive universe, while each disney movie it's its own reality. So, in a way, we can say that an only Marvel theme park would offer imagineers MORE freedom, since then *anything* Marvel would fit seamlessly (while buzz lightyear in discoveryland... Uhm... ;)

Q

Josh

Quote from: "|Q|"Actually, i'm pretty against a only Marvel land in a wider park, cause it would mean stuffing too many different things together (if it's goin to be a not-only-marvel park i think they should mix stuff together).
If it would be anything like Islands of Adventure, then I agree. :P

Quote from: "|Q|"I really don't get why it should be always the same plot in each ride.
I don't mean the same plot. I mean the same genre. :)

But you make a good point about them being more cohesive (at least with the Avengers universe; Spiderman is not in the same one).

And one other thing I'm concerned about is the audience. This would have a smaller appeal than DL and DCA. Will younger children, certain adults and older generations like this park?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ford prefect

Marvel stories are a not a genre in themselves.  The word GENRE is overused and imprecise.  there is no reason at all why a theme park cannot be based around a consistent strong idea.

The Marvel  audience is constantly renewing, as it's target audience of 8 to 17 year olds today like pretty much the same stuff that I did when I was that age.  

There hasn't been a new idea in fim and TV for years and the same is true in theme parks.

A good story is a good story and that is what will keep people returning, not thrills.

|Q|

Quote from: "Josh"If it would be anything like Islands of Adventure, then I agree. :P

Actually i think that SuperHeroes Island at IoA is one of the weakest and worst looking areas of the entire park. Disney would never go for the "comic book" look.

Quote from: "Josh"But you make a good point about them being more cohesive (at least with the Avengers universe; Spiderman is not in the same one).

No, wait, what? Avengers and Spider-Man aren't in the same universe only as far the Marvel Cinematic Universe goes (since Spidey's movie rights right now are owned by Sony, like X-Men and Fantastic Four are Fox's), but if they do the Park it won't be a movie based park, but a whole Marvel park (and I'll never stop to pray for a Savage Land please please please ;), and Avengers and Spider-Man ARE in the same universe (Spidey as been many times an Avenger, and lately Peter Parker was kind of right arm to Tony Stark, before Civil War)

Quote from: "Josh"And one other thing I'm concerned about is the audience. This would have a smaller appeal than DL and DCA. Will younger children, certain adults and older generations like this park?

Well, actually i think it will widen the appeal of the whole resort, bringing in a demographic that usually isn't really close to Disney (teens). And if you think of the HUGE numbers that events like ComicCon in San Diego makes every year a park like this it's a no-brainer.

Q

ed-uk

I wouldn't want a Marvel theme Park/Land if it were just about thrill rides, that's what Marvel says to me and that would be my main concern. Disney parks aren't really for thrill seekers, I know they do have some Roller coasters, but most of the rides the family can enjoy together, Mum, Dad, children and grandparents. We'll see what Disney come up with, and I can understand them wanting to cash in on the huge success of the Avengers Movie in the theme parks, but I hope it's not aimed at a demographic that isn't really close to Disney, they can go to Europa Park, Chessington World of Adventures and other non Disney theme parks.
Ed & David

Josh

Yeah. That best sums up my view, too. :)

Quote from: "|Q|"
Quote from: "Josh"If it would be anything like Islands of Adventure, then I agree. :P
Actually i think that SuperHeroes Island at IoA is one of the weakest and worst looking areas of the entire park. Disney would never go for the "comic book" look.
Sorry, that's what I meant as well. I misread the post I quoted. XD

Quote from: "|Q|"No, wait, what? Avengers and Spider-Man aren't in the same universe only as far the Marvel Cinematic Universe goes (since Spidey's movie rights right now are owned by Sony, like X-Men and Fantastic Four are Fox's), but if they do the Park it won't be a movie based park, but a whole Marvel park (and I'll never stop to pray for a Savage Land please please please ;), and Avengers and Spider-Man ARE in the same universe (Spidey as been many times an Avenger, and lately Peter Parker was kind of right arm to Tony Stark, before Civil War)
That's what I meant; the Cinematic Universe. :) I would expect Disney to use that franchise more prominently than the others.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]April 2012[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Scissorsboi

I think that most of us are thrown by previous comic book to park adaptations, IOA (and to some extent Beanoland!) took the comic book cutout version of the theme, but that just won't stretch over a whole park theme.

I've always assumed that if they were to do it they'd go hyper realistic, if it's say Spiderman then a New York set, authentic NY diners, a broadway style theatre show (featuring MJ) and then a trip to the Daily Bugle where a Spiderman ride is located (Soarin' with Spidey). Then a set of supporting attractions from that universe, dark ride on the transit system when you get attacked by villains, a Carousel in a central park setting etc..

Then you'd have Iron Man in a futuristic setting, you visit Stark enterprises and go on a guided tour of the premises where you (similar to Ratatouille technology) start in the labs and then are caught up in a battle to secure the technology from getting in the wrong hands. There'd also be a "staff canteen", robo arm experience dressed up as weapons training, a 'create your own invention' ice cream bar etc.

Hulk is in his own forested world, where he lives away from humanity for their own sake. The area has a rapids ride through the area, where you see Bruce living his idyllic lifestyle, but then he is set upon by the army, and he hulks out, the rafts take a turn down turbulent waters as you see AAs of Hulk fighting, as he falls he triggers water blasts and the boat to spin wildly out of control, before finally you are washed into a scene where you get 'Hulked' too and are launched upwards on a lift towards a now enraged Hulk AA and plunging out of the side of the building for safety..

It's easy to create realistic themes for the characters, and I think whenever people say 'comic books' most of us assume it's all vivid colours and pop-art stylings. This park COULD be amazing, I just hope it doesn't suffer the same shortcomings that DCA did on opening!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.