Shareholders roundtable events (31st May & 6th June)

Started by gldc, June 02, 2012, 08:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riebi

Quote from: "Josh"
Quote from: "Riebi"I visited the DCA before and during the big makeover and I was a bit surprised.
There are some parts that are REALLY tacky, though. Did you see that shop in Paradise Pier that had a circus tent roof inside with a giant clown holding it up? Plus, the façade for the Monster's Inc ride has some grey supports clearly visible at the side.

That´s the point for me. They had over there facades with grey supports around the studios area before the big makeover (Ok in this special thing they stay till today) but for WDS the great makeover for Hollywood Bvd. was to install grey supports with some facades. Instead of a "real" makeover as we see it for b.v.street or parts of the pier.

For the village, I`m relly interested what they could do with the area. They ripped out everything of the old theme and replaced it with nothing + some tacky balloons. It´s clear that this can´t really work. They´ve lost the story behind it. But what could the new story be?? Any ideas?
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Scissorsboi

Quote from: "pussinboots"So once again I will divert my comments toward the Village and ask why on earth the Disney Store would remain in place after the opening of the World of Disney, and why they would actually invest in it to turn it into a new-style Disney Store. Will it become a real Disney Store selling Disney Store merchandise, perhaps? That could actually be interesting...

I'd like to see them change the first stretch of shops to the boutique style ones of the US Downtowns, (D-Street etc), with the second half becoming more 'adult' oriented shops and quick serve restaurants, such as an ice cream parlour, spa products, homewares stores.

Then you'd have four clear areas, World of Disney, Disney for teens and kids and shopping for adults, then a whole street of food. Of course another option would be to have another crack at Disneyquest!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

CentralPlazaPerson

Keep Walt Disney Studios as it is and don't turn it into some park for all the new generation of Disney films. Keep the rides movie/on-set/big thrills related. It's meant to be themed around movie studios. Next thing they'll remove Armageddon which I will hate as it's an original ride. I recently saw an old documentary on the Studios and it's scary how much it has changed for the good and the bad.

dagobert

Quote from: "CentralPlazaPerson"Keep Walt Disney Studios as it is and don't turn it into some park for all the new generation of Disney films. Keep the rides movie/on-set/big thrills related. It's meant to be themed around movie studios. Next thing they'll remove Armageddon which I will hate as it's an original ride. I recently saw an old documentary on the Studios and it's scary how much it has changed for the good and the bad.

I also think they should keep the studio as it is. Now it has at least a cohesive theme, but what'# the premise of a park where they can put every ride they want. That would be a bigger mess. I think a Studios park allows to add nearly everything, too. WDSP should be more like Universal where you can ride the movies.

Riebi

Yes you are right. they should make a theme out of the theme. The old studio was.ugly but it was exactly like studios are. now where is the studio of dreams! why not giving the backlot a better backlot dream. make aerosmith to a real music label with a big fountain in front of it. make out of the stunt show buildings a big garage with diffrent studio.cars, cranes, stuff to look at. give backlot express its former theme and make it even bigger...I dont need marvel. I just need more theme and a deeper story. where is the story department? Shouldnt they also have an office at the backlot. I can nearly see a copy writer sign...
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

CentralPlazaPerson

The best thing they could do to retain its studio feel is to make a How they do it? type ride. It would bring the guest into well known scenes with special effects and let them experience first hand of what the actors felt. Like Armageddon but on a bigger scale. Even a Great Movie ride.

All this new generation, marvel stuff should be part of the 3rd Park.

dagobert

As I said in another post, I think Marvel fits perfectly into WDSP. I still think that WDSP should be a combination of education and entertainment. That means to me that WDSP should have attractions where you can ride the movies, like Universal Orlando, and attractions that show how the movie business works, like Universal Hollywood.

A third park will not happen in the next ten years and I'm sure there are new franchises and movies on which a new park can be build. Robert Iger has left TWDC and maybe Philippe Gas ED SCA as well. So maybe there is a change in the way TWDC is running their parks. Perhaps the new CEOs will be more like Eisner and WDI will design original rides again. There's a big chance that Tom Staggs will follow Iger in 2015 and he already made changes to the MK expansion, because it was only focused on kids and his sons didn't like it. I think he will run the parks more like Eisner. When Eisner came to Disney he had a teenage son and that's why we have seen so many elaborate rides during that years. A teenager isn't attracted by TSPL. Staggs' sons will also be in that age when he might become CEO.

peter

Staggs seems like someone who gets heavily involved, much like Eisner did. For all of his faults, Eisner did get the parks right. He saw the money involved in having the resorts, so its what he focused his attention. Let's face it, without Eisner disneyworld may still only have 3 hotels. If staggs were to become CEO, his role in the parks would have shown him what eisner saw.

Sparkchild

It is very interesting for me, as an American to see how Europeans view Michael Eisner. It sounds like you, in general, like him and think he did a good job as CEO. Or am I wrong? On this side of the pond, the Americans basically hate him. I can't go anywhere on Disney property without hearing bad things about him from cast members or guests. I think the problem most people had with him was that he wasn't Walt, he was a businessman. They wanted another Walt who would be personable and kiss babies and shake hands, but Eisner wasn't that kind of guy. I hear stories of him walking into a park, through the back door, stay backstage, get what he needed and leave without talking to a single cast member. They were offended he wasn't more personable. That is their main complaint, he wasn't likable. Me personally, I worked for Disney during Eisner's reign. I never met him, so I cannot comment on him as a person, but I liked him. This man brought the Disney Company out of bankruptcy, saved it from being bought out by rival companies, established the Disney Decade, created the Disney Stores, built five theme parks around the world, and revamped the animation industry. And above all of that, he worked on commission! He only made money if the company made money. No golden parachute, no bonus even if the company is failing. He worked for his pay check. And I as a cast member never had my pay or hours cut, never lost my bonuses and perks, actually I had more perks working for Eisner than I did after he left. I have no complaints about this man. He did his job, he was successful, and he made Disney what it is today.

dagobert

I should have made it more clear in my post, that Eisner was only a good CEO in combination with Frank Wells. After Mr. Wells' death the company was on the downturn. I had high hopes in Mr. Iger when he brought Pixar back, but he is so much into franchises that there's no room for original movies and rides anymore. Eisner and Wells were at the right time at the right comapany.

Without Michael Eisner, DLP wouldn't be the most beautiful MK park. If DLP wouldn't have been a financial desaster, I gues the parks and resorts division would have continued to build quality parks and not DCA or WDSP.

I got all my informations about Michael Eisner from the book "Disney War" and I think it gives a very good insight into his tenure as CEO of TWDC.

CentralPlazaPerson

I say keep WDS as it is name wise and then just make it like Hollywood Studios then. Would love to see more thrill rides after Ratatouille. A Tron/Test Track ride...Just don't change the name is all I care about!

amanda08

anyone know what the super dream passport would offer? - thats sounds interesting

Michielv

Quote from: "dagobert"I should have made it more clear in my post, that Eisner was only a good CEO in combination with Frank Wells. After Mr. Wells' death the company was on the downturn. I had high hopes in Mr. Iger when he brought Pixar back, but he is so much into franchises that there's no room for original movies and rides anymore. Eisner and Wells were at the right time at the right comapany.

Without Michael Eisner, DLP wouldn't be the most beautiful MK park. If DLP wouldn't have been a financial desaster, I gues the parks and resorts division would have continued to build quality parks and not DCA or WDSP.

I got all my informations about Michael Eisner from the book "Disney War" and I think it gives a very good insight into his tenure as CEO of TWDC.

The first ten years under Eisner: Disneyland Paris. The second ten years: Walt Disney Studios Park. Pretty much says it all. Indeed, Disney War is a must-read.

Josh

I remember reading on Wikipedia how Roy was trying to get Eisner ousted near the end of his carrier. I always thought that Roy was the reason that we had the Disney Renaissance.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

zara-x

Thanks for posting the translation! I think the idea of some sort of reward system sounds really interesting and very valid. My family and I have made many trips over the last 20 years so this would be great for us as I'm sure it would be for many of you on this forum and others besides. The hotels have the ability to see on the computer system how many times you have visited that hotel and when - and it was only just this year was our loyalty acknowledged as the lady who checked us in remarked on how many times we had stayed before. I don't think the reward would need to be anything huge (although I wouldn't decline a discount...hint hint!) but just a generic letter in the hotel room/sent to your home, or perhaps even fresh flowers or chocolates in your hotel room or a dining/shop voucher would be really appreciated by everyone I'd imagine! Not something I'd thought of before but seems obvious now they've said it. Perhaps they could adopt a Boots the Chemist Advantage Card system with Mickeys instead of points?  ;)
Faith, trust and a little bit of pixie dust...