Meal Plans — Half Board & Full Board options and information

Started by Anthony, May 07, 2012, 09:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stifle

I can confirm as follows:

There is no supplement for Café Mickey with half board plus vouchers
The vouchers are all dated from the day you arrive to the day you depart so you can use them when you wish including on your first and last days.

Muppet

All this info is so helpful, and others, for the details :)

I think I understand how it all works but I am still struggling with a price comparison on this. When I look at booking at Newport Bay Club the HB + option comes up on my booking enquiry as 35 euro for an adult and 17 euro for a child (sorry no idea where the euro button on my keyboard is as I am australian and don't have much call to use it :-p)

Anyway my issue is when I go and check out the menus for the restaurants I seem to get a price point that is lower than the 35 euro for a meal.

For example Agrabah Cafe lists their buffet price as 30.99 euro (adult) + 16.99 (child)

The steakhouse menu Chicago (listed as the plus option) as 36.99 euro.

Am I right in assuming if I didn't get the HB plus option I could still walk in off the street and order the Chicago option off the menu but pay 36.99 euro instead of the 35 euro that I would of paid if I had taken up the HB offer?

Lots of the buffets seem to be at a lower price point than the 35 euro charged for HB plus

I guess the benefit of paying for HB plus is that I have already spent the money so good for budgeting but the down side is I am extremely worried as to actually how hungry we will be in the evenings/lunch, especially if we say want to do Wild west one night (which it seems we would be better just paying for separately)

It's kinda like by adding HB plus we are 'stuck' with 4 x vouchers (which is the number of nights that we are their for) that we will need to use iykwim. I know that their value can be used towards payment for several other higher end restaurants but surely you aren't actually gaining anything by doing this.

Sorry I am sure I am missing something and its a simple answer :-/ I just honestly can't work it out!

I also appreciate that if you book HB plus you get a voucher for a tea time treat but I really dont think this is a bonus for us as we where going to book compass club anyway!

Any help appreciated!

bad-pink-tink

from my understanding you are correct. To get the benefit of the HB + vouchers you would need to eat in the high end restaurants and eat starter, main, dessert for both lunch and dinner.

I have been to DLP twice and I am going again in February 2016. I dont use the meal plan vouchers, I just pay as I eat. As you have found out, some restaurants have menu prices lower than the voucher values. Disney do this to force people to choose the high end restaurants. If you use a voucher in a restaurant that works out lower than the voucher value you dont get change.

Also the vouchers are only for Disney owned restaurants, for example places like Planet Hollywood, Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village  dont accept the vouchers. This is Disneys way of making sure you spend your money in Disney and not in outside restaurants.

The meal plans are OPTIONAL but Disney really push them and first timers think that they have to have them, when thats not the case. If you have researched the menus and prices and prefer to just pay as you eat, then just do that. Paying as you eat gives you far more options and flexibility with budget and food choices.
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

stifle

You have it right, but what you're missing is (1) the buffets are intended for Standard meal plan holders and (2) the Plus vouchers include a soft drink (as indeed do standard and premium vouchers) so to the €36.99 cash price of the Steakhouse menu you would add another €4.50 to get a true comparison, plus (as you say towards the end) the Pause Gourmande.

Overall the vouchers aren't a bad deal but only if you use them quite judiciously. Disney pushes them because it's good for cashflow and to drive footfall in the high end restaurants.

Muppet

beckford

How much is the half board voucher worth?
I'm going with my younger sister and don't want to accidentally over spend and have to pay anymore!

stifle

Quote from: beckford on January 13, 2016, 01:47:19 PM
How much is the half board voucher worth?
I'm going with my younger sister and don't want to accidentally over spend and have to pay anymore!

It depends on which level voucher. However, you don't need to worry about what it's worth, just as long as you go to the right restaurants. Standard vouchers are used at all you can eat buffets, Plus vouchers give you the 3 course set menu marked with the Plus symbol at table service restaurants (excluding Auberge de Cendrillon and California Grill), and Premium vouchers are good for anything anywhere (except California Grill where they get a set menu). You also get a free soft drink with all of the above. If you're at all unsure simply ask a Cast Member.

beckford

Ahhh! Thankyou :)
I have the plus voucher but at least now I won't be worrying about over spending on food!

stifle

Quote from: beckford on January 13, 2016, 05:24:01 PM
Ahhh! Thankyou :)
I have the plus voucher but at least now I won't be worrying about over spending on food!

Great. With that voucher you can have your choice of virtually all the Disney restaurants. My recommendations are Bistrot Chez Rémy and Walt's: An American Restaurant. I think the best value overall is at Café Mickey where the menu is €41.99, if you're really into maxing things out. Or if you want an upscale buffet, try Parkside Diner.

Rolo

Café Mickey menu (starter+main+dessert) is now € 45,99 (excl.drink)  :o
With HB+ vouchers you also get a drink.

fairymom

Hi, I've been looking into this for our upcoming trip at the start of May. I'm looking at the following link:

http://www.dlpguide.com/planning/dining/meal-plans/

but I can't figure out which price applies, why are there 2 prices for each category? Is the first price what it is at the start of the dates block and the second tbc later because it's not till next year?

I would like to know the price for half board plus. Is that £27/adult and £13/child? It seems very good value if you can eat in the higher end restaurants for that price?

Also, we really wanted to do Inventions for our daughter's birthday so can we just pay the extra then on top of the voucher?

I'm really torn on this. On the one hand I'd like to have food paid for and make a bit of a saving but on the other I am worried that the plan is inflexible and tieing us into something.

stifle

Prices for arrivals from 24 March are at https://forum.dlpguide.com/index.php?topic=19844.0

If you want to choose a higher category restaurant than is included in your voucher you can simply pay the difference when you get the bill.

fairymom

Thanks, I'm thinking we'll just go for the half board. Staying at DLH means we can do magic hours, go back and have large breakfast/brunch. Then that'll keep us going with the pause gourmand till we get dinner.

You get the pause gourmande with half board, don't you?

Also, can you use the voucher any time of day, not just evening?

Zee79

Yes you get the pause gourmand, can use it from 3pm-7pm normally. Your meal vouchers for half board can be used for lunch or evening meal, 1 per day.

billy

Great. With that voucher you can have your choice of virtually all the Disney restaurants. My recommendations are Bistrot Chez Rémy and Walt's: An American Restaurant. I think the best value overall is at Café Mickey where the menu is €41.99, if you're really into maxing things out. Or if you want an upscale buffet, try Parkside Diner.
[/quote]

We have the plus menu, so going along with the thread of previous quotes our voucher is only valid for 36€ per adult so does this mean that if we choose the 42€ menu we pay the difference or we just stick to the 34€?
Do they explain this to you when you go in?
We have already booked dinner there for our last night so i jsut want to make sure that if i need to pay extra cash I have it with me?
thank you