[HKDL] it's a small world (2008)

Started by The Butlin Boy, December 15, 2006, 09:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonysprincess

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"
Quote from: "DisneyNut2007"
Quote from: "Maarten"As an example; on several American discussion boards members are trying to look out for as many characters as possible. Its more of a hide and seek version of the ride. Ofcourse the characters can blend in very well or be placed in a subtle way, but as long as people are focussing on the characters, the message of the attraction will fade to the background, unlike the other versions of Its A Small World. The characters dont necessarely make the ride better in my opinion.

That opinion is still subjective and debatable.

If I may be coming across as a bit crass, I'm sorry. It's just that I, for one, am fed up with the constant Small World arguments that have been dominating all those other Disney forums and blogs lately which have become so annoying and intolerable that it's just laughable and only gives us Disney fans a bad name. I just wish those people would chill out already!

Nope, Disney is not what it once was.  WDI is going creatively bankrupt.  And after a lifetime and a fortune spent on Disney, I will not sit idly by for them to turn their THEME parks into rubbish toon/kid focused parks losing the ethos of their roots.

I am with Maarten here (oh what a surprise), I hold DLP up as being the best version (though DL's being the 1st and my 1st has a real soft spot).  IASW is a part of why I do what I do for a living now.  To be cheapened into a character fest would be like allowing banksy to alter the statue David.

I personally don't mind the characters being in the NEW versions of IASW but I do agree with people who are not happy about the refurb at Disneyland...
I mean why??? Is this ride not popular enough as it is? I have never been to Ca but in the Magic Kingdom park in Florida it is very very popular and I know this from working there year-round...
I am personally worried that they will change ours as well :( when does it end?
I'm not the type to hate change at Disney just because it's change but I am unhappy when they change things for the worse or try to fix something that ain't broke...

anthonysprincess

Quote from: "The Butlin Boy"HKDL's 'It's a small world' is now officially open!

:mrgreen:

Wow their facade is brilliant look at those colours, how beautiful.

Malin

I will be offering a full review and pics once I get back from my trip out to Hong Kong in about 3 weeks time. Disney are expecting a huge attendance increase with this attraction, but I'm not too convinced by it personally. I'm not disputing its not going to make a fantastic addition to the small number of attractions available at this park, but will it be enough to get people inside the park.

anthonysprincess

Quote from: "Malin"I will be offering a full review and pics once I get back from my trip out to Hong Kong in about 3 weeks time. Disney are expecting a huge attendance increase with this attraction, but I'm not too convinced by it personally. I'm not disputing its not going to make a fantastic addition to the small number of attractions available at this park, but will it be enough to get people inside the park.
Good point-Small World is beautiful, and popular, but is it something people will flock JUST to see? Very interesting...

Kristof

HKDL has launched a dedicated website for their it's a small world which shows all the Disney characters that are included in the show scenes.  

http://park.hongkongdisneyland.com/hkdl ... index.html

Don't shoot me for saying this, but I like it!  :mrgreen:

Edit: be sure to check out the opening video.  It's pretty cute!

Anthony

Nice website!  I like some of the characters a lot and others not at all.

For example, Mowgli and Baloo are brilliant, the design of Baloo is really unique. But then Cinderella doesn't make much sense because at least in my mind she doesn't really have a very strong connection to a particular country. Peter Pan is perfect, they're all children afterall, whilst as I read somewhere else, isn't Pocahontas a bit out of place in what should be more of a Canadian mountains scene?

The Three Caballeros is super cool and certainly not a reference designed to sell more DVDs or toys, hardly anyone knows those characters. But then Finding Nemo... seems to be more on the DVD-selling side of things.  Lilo & Stitch we already have the surfer animatronic for in Paris, and the Ariel here is almost identical to the non-Ariel mermaid in Paris. Fits nicely.

But finally... Bambi. In the north pole? Really?

Final score from the photos for me: 11/15. Good job. It's really all just a way to shoehorn as many Disney characters into HKDL as quickly as possible though, surely? In DLRP we've got separate attractions for a lot of those, so seeing Peter Pan or Pinocchio again in IASW would seem rather pointless. But for HKDL yes, this is a great move to make these characters permanent residents without having to actually spend some decent money and build them proper homes. Thumbs up.

anthonysprincess

Hmm well at least they're done artfully. I don't know what to say besides why is Bambi in the North Pole? lol!

Any word on the refurb at Disneyland?

HKDLfan

A video introducing IASW from bennett: =D>
[youtube:2dmb9b1t]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXlbkx_D3tM[/youtube:2dmb9b1t]

Kristof

HKDLfan, we already had a topic dedicated to the IASW at Hongkong Disneyland.  I've merged your topic with the existing one.  :)

Maarten

Thanks HKDLfan! I was wondering, since Its A Small World is open for business since April, is there any increase in attendance?

HKDLfan

Quote from: "Maarten"Thanks HKDLfan! I was wondering, since Its A Small World is open for business since April, is there any increase in attendance?
There isn't any increase in attendance. But many visitors rushed to the IASW area and ride it after the grand opening until May. Therefore, other attractions seemed to be very desolated.

Sorry for my bad english :P

Kristof

Don't worry about your English, it's perfect.

I'm not surprised IASW isn't bringing in the guests.  It's more of a crowd pleaser then a crowd puller...

How did they advertise it?

penfold12

I think we have all said it before, but IASW seems a really strange attraction for a struggling park. Hong Kong is one of the most technologicaly advanced cities in the world, and this is one of the oldest style attractions.

Is there a strong culture for Dolls in Hong Kong? I dont want to sound offensive when I say that. I mean Japan has a a culture where many cute and small characters seem popular, and TDL even has its own doll. I wondered if this is also true of HK, hence this attraction?

Futurecastmember

Every disney park deserves an IASW, and it's just great that hong kong got something  nobody else got. I think it looks great, but I wouldn't like them to do the same at DLRP. Then it's not special anymore, and I don't think they would fit in, because ours aint build to contain them, like the hong kong one. But I like it though :D
It\'s just like we dreamed it
As far as I can see
It\'s just like we dreamed it
As good as good can be
And I know it\'s so much better
\'Cause we dreamed it up together
Just like we dreamed it, to life! Magically...

Annual passport holder! FANTASY!

Clarebelle

the characters look good in the HK one, but not for ours please, not in ours!
5th Anniversary - Hotel Santa Fe
Christmas 06 - The Kyraid Hotel (extended vistit <!-- s]