[HKDL] it's a small world (2008)

Started by The Butlin Boy, December 15, 2006, 09:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remco K.

The Stitch doll looks very abstract, like said before...

...Flounder, on the other hand, looks more like the character from the movie.

Why would there be such a difference?

BlueClouds

I think the Stitch doll is sweet. But I agree that it is so obviously different compared to Flounder. It might just be that it would be hard to make an abstract fish model for flounder whereas stitch has an easier shape to make look like a doll (round head, ears, legs etc)
Yo ho, Haul together, hoist the colours high
Heave ho, thieves and beggars, Never shall we die!

Parkfisch

Quote from: "RnRCj"Is it just me, or does in seem really dark in those pictures compared to the DLRP it's a small world? :?

All "It's a Small World" versions are dark like Pirates of the Caribbean, only in Paris it's that bright.  They should add paintings of a blue sky and clouds in Paris. Would be nicer to view when you look to the top inside.

The Butlin Boy

How many Disney characters can you spot? :wink:

[youtube:by17wixv]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB-Zyk_Cjlw&eurl=http://dlnewstoday.com/wordpress/[/youtube:by17wixv]

Maarten

I still prefer Paris' Its A Small World as far as I can judge. I dont understand why they choose not to use the flooted sets like in Tokyo, Orlando and Paris. Its uses the same elevated ride system as Anaheim's version... shame. And because the boats don't go outside, they just could have made it an omniver system aswell. Whats the purpose of the water aspect if you dont use it to its full potential? Even Anaheim has its loading area outside. Besides, I think its way better to start the ride outside of the building. I dont care for the characters either, they distract from the message of the attraction since people are trying to spot as many characters as possible.

Their China/East part of the ride looks quite good however. Maybe they can use several new lighting techniques in other versions of the attraction worldwide aswell?

I dont think the ride is bad (as far as I can judge from a video ofcourse), but it doesnt deserve to be called the best version of the ride to date either in my humble opinion.

DisneyNut2007

Quote from: "Maarten"I dont understand why they choose not to use the flooted sets like in Tokyo, Orlando and Paris. Its uses the same elevated ride system as Anaheim's version... shame. And because the boats don't go outside, they just could have made it an omniver system aswell. Whats the purpose of the water aspect if you dont use it to its full potential? Even Anaheim has its loading area outside. Besides, I think its way better to start the ride outside of the building.

Well, that opinion is subjective at best. The Florida and Tokyo versions of IaSW take place entirely indoors, including the load areas, as well. Other Disney boat rides, such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Sinbad's Storybook Voyage at Tokyo DisneySea, take place entirely indoors as well.

QuoteI dont care for the characters either, they distract from the message of the attraction since people are trying to spot as many characters as possible.

I beg to differ on that view as well. I don't think they're a distraction at all. Sure, it's fun to try to spot them all, but they're not a distraction--looking for them is really like looking for Hidden Mickeys, IMO. The anonymous "children of the world" are still the stars of the show, with the Disney characters mostly taking on supporting roles. Also, the characters actually seem to come across more as regular Small World kids dressed in Disney character costumes or stylized Disney character toys rather than being the actual characters themselves.

The ride's message of world peace is still there.

QuoteTheir China/East part of the ride looks quite good however. Maybe they can use several new lighting techniques in other versions of the attraction worldwide aswell?

I can agree on that.

QuoteI dont think the ride is bad (as far as I can judge from a video ofcourse), but it doesnt deserve to be called the best version of the ride to date either in my humble opinion.

I agree that it does look pretty good (I hope to ride it in person one day), but I disagree with your opinion that it shouldn't be called the best version. I think that both the HKDL and DL versions are the best versions of IaSW.

Maarten

Quote from: "DisneyNut2007"
Quote from: "Maarten"I dont understand why they choose not to use the flooted sets like in Tokyo, Orlando and Paris. Its uses the same elevated ride system as Anaheim's version... shame. And because the boats don't go outside, they just could have made it an omniver system aswell. Whats the purpose of the water aspect if you dont use it to its full potential? Even Anaheim has its loading area outside. Besides, I think its way better to start the ride outside of the building.

Well, that opinion is subjective at best. The Florida and Tokyo versions of IaSW take place entirely indoors, including the load areas, as well. Other Disney boat rides, such as Pirates of the Caribbean and Sinbad's Storybook Voyage at Tokyo DisneySea, take place entirely indoors as well.

Ofcourse my opinion is subjective, I've never pretended it to be otherwise. All examples you mentioned use flooted scenes like I mentioned; Pirates, both Orlando and Tokyo's Its A Small World and even Sinbad. Other examples include Splash Mountain and Mealstrom. Why is it so difficult to take Hong Kongs version to the same level, instead of Anaheim's 1960s level? Its not the fact thats its indoors (although I prefer the boarding area to be outside like in Paris), but the fact that they still use the "elevated waterway"... They don't use the water aspect to its full potential in my opinion, like they could have done. At least in Paris they connected the water both outside and inside the attraction with each other.

Quote from: "Maarten"I dont care for the characters either, they distract from the message of the attraction since people are trying to spot as many characters as possible.

I beg to differ on that view as well. I don't think they're a distraction at all. Sure, it's fun to try to spot them all, but they're not a distraction--looking for them is really like looking for Hidden Mickeys, IMO. The anonymous "children of the world" are still the stars of the show, with the Disney characters mostly taking on supporting roles. Also, the characters actually seem to come across more as regular Small World kids dressed in Disney character costumes or stylized Disney character toys rather than being the actual characters themselves.

The ride's message of world peace is still there.

As an example; on several American discussion boards members are trying to look out for as many characters as possible. Its more of a hide and seek version of the ride. Ofcourse the characters can blend in very well or be placed in a subtle way, but as long as people are focussing on the characters, the message of the attraction will fade to the background, unlike the other versions of Its A Small World. The characters dont necessarely make the ride better in my opinion.

Once again, its not a bad attraction at all, but personnaly I dont favour it over Paris' version (which is the best in my opinion). And I am not someone who thinks everything in Paris is great, not at all.

The Butlin Boy

Quote from: "Maarten"As an example; on several American discussion boards members are trying to look out for as many characters as possible. Its more of a hide and seek version of the ride. Ofcourse the characters can blend in very well or be placed in a subtle way, but as long as people are focussing on the characters, the message of the attraction will fade to the background, unlike the other versions of Its A Small World. The characters dont necessarely make the ride better in my opinion.

I agree with you Maarten, the ride has become a bit more of a hide and seek with the Disney characters attraction, but unfortunately at the end of the day, I think that most children don't really focus on the message of the ride anyway, and will enjoy this version more. I think that the same could probably be said for adults as well. The only people that it is a disadvantage to is the fans of the ride. So although it distracts from the rides message, I really don't mind the changes at all, and I wouldn't mind if they crossed the seas to other parks either :)

DisneyNut2007

Quote from: "Maarten"As an example; on several American discussion boards members are trying to look out for as many characters as possible. Its more of a hide and seek version of the ride. Ofcourse the characters can blend in very well or be placed in a subtle way, but as long as people are focussing on the characters, the message of the attraction will fade to the background, unlike the other versions of Its A Small World. The characters dont necessarely make the ride better in my opinion.

That opinion is still subjective and debatable.

If I may be coming across as a bit crass, I'm sorry. It's just that I, for one, am fed up with the constant Small World arguments that have been dominating all those other Disney forums and blogs lately which have become so annoying and intolerable that it's just laughable and only gives us Disney fans a bad name. I just wish those people would chill out already!

Kristof

Press release for the opening:

'it's a small world' Opens at Hong Kong Disneyland!
With elements unique to Hong Kong Disneyland, it's a small world, which opens today at Hong Kong Disneyland, will invite guests to immerse themselves in a world of laughter and joy. Filled with more than 200 hundred Audio-Animatronics® figures representing children from around the world and dressed in their national costumes, splendid landmarks from numerous countries and for the first time ever 38 Disney characters, the attraction takes Guests into the whimsical world of children, where friendship and mutual understanding cross all boundaries and nationalities.

"it's a small world is a timeless attraction that has delighted generations of adults and children alike across the world, and has deep roots in the Hong Kong community," said Maple Lee, Vice President, Marketing, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. "The Cantonese version of the theme song has lived in the hearts and minds of Hong Kong citizens for over 30 years because of the simple yet powerful verses composed by legendary lyricist James Wong. The opening of the attraction will be a significant step for the Resort, in continuing Walt Disney's vision of uniting all nationalities through the universal language of laughter and joy."

Created by Walt Disney and first appearing at the 1964 World's Fair in New York, it's a small world was one of the earliest attractions in history to make use of the revolutionary Audio-Animatronics® technology created by the Walt Disney Company at the time. The original artistic designs were created by Mary Blair, a veteran Disney artist, along with Marc Davis an original Disney film animator and Imagineer; the catchy theme song was composed by the Sherman Brothers. Hong Kong Disneyland's version of it's a small world builds upon the classic attraction with exciting new additions.

"With Hong Kong Disneyland's version of it's a small world, we had the unprecedented opportunity to expand on a classic attraction to seamlessly blend local, regional and international elements," said David Minichiello, Art Director, Walt Disney Imagineering. "Four new languages, Cantonese, Putonghua, Korean and Tagalog, have been added for the classic theme song. Combined with expanded sections, all-new scenes and the incorporation of familiar Disney melodies with the theme song, we have brought a truly unique and joyous offering to Asia and the rest of the world."

For the first time ever, in addition to the hundreds of dazzling and brightly decorated figures of children, the attraction will feature 38 Disney characters in their countries of origin. These dolls, toys and animated props will offer a fresh new perspective on the classic attraction, and holds true to the artistic style created by Mary Blair and the original Walt Disney Imagineering team.

The expanded Asia scene, now two times larger, is the biggest Asia scene ever to appear in any it's a small world attraction. It will feature famous landmarks such as the Great Wall of China and the Temple of Heaven. The Middle East has its own scene and new sets have also been added to the Americas scene.

Guests will be surrounded by veiled dancers in the Middle East or can fly through the sky on a magic carpet ride with Aladdin and Jasmine; they can meet Woody and Jessie from the Disney·Pixar films Toy Story and Toy Story 2 or sail by New York's Empire State Building or San Francisco's Golden Gate Bridge.

One of the defining elements of Hong Kong Disneyland's version of it's a small world is the facade. Inspired by the facades at Disneyland, California, Tokyo Disneyland and Disneyland Paris, a unique color palette was specially created to match the facade and the attraction's surroundings. The facade itself will have an extensive and stunning LED lighting system that will sparkle and glitter in the Hong Kong dusk.

The centerpiece of the facade, the Small World Clock Tower will, just like its brothers and sisters across the globe, chime and gong at the appointed hours and will feature the classic toy parade, with a newly added Chinese Opera Character toy.

davewasbaloo

That opinion is still subjective and debatable.

If I may be coming across as a bit crass, I'm sorry. It's just that I, for one, am fed up with the constant Small World arguments that have been dominating all those other Disney forums and blogs lately which have become so annoying and intolerable that it's just laughable and only gives us Disney fans a bad name. I just wish those people would chill out already!

Nope, Disney is not what it once was.  WDI is going creatively bankrupt.  And after a lifetime and a fortune spent on Disney, I will not sit idly by for them to turn their THEME parks into rubbish toon/kid focused parks losing the ethos of their roots.

I am with Maarten here (oh what a surprise), I hold DLP up as being the best version (though DL's being the 1st and my 1st has a real soft spot).  IASW is a part of why I do what I do for a living now.  To be cheapened into a character fest would be like allowing banksy to alter the statue David.
since 2001 (many before that)

penfold12

sorry but I totaly disagree. It simply making it relevant to todays market. A Disney park is not a museum.... And the changes are done with respect, in the correct style. Either way is it really worth all the drama that it is being given? I do agree that WDI is going through a less creative time with all the cloning however

DisneyNut2007

Quote from: "penfold12"sorry but I totals disagree. It simply making it relevant to todays market. A Disney park is not a museum.... And the changes are done with respect, in the correct style. Either way is it really worth all the drama that it is being given?

Here, here! Disney is still what it was in the past, just in different ways. Some may not see it that way, but it is.

Change does have to occur at Disney's theme parks in order to keep them relevant...and to keep the turnstyles rolling.

Not only are the parks not museums. They are NOT turning into so-called "character fests". WDI is NOT going to put familiar characters into ALL of its attractions, so there's no need to worry and get all up in knots about it.

And saying that specific characters don't belong in certain places is like telling someone that they don't belong in their own house or home, if you know what I mean. The Disney parks are where the characters live, work and play, so it's not a good idea to have that kind of bad attitude.

And the combinations that have been made so far have been quite appropriate, especially if you take things like history, context and deeper meanings to heart.

QuoteI do agree that EDI is going through a less creative time with all the cloning however

That, however, I must disagree with. Just because someone says something is uncreative doesn't make it so. They only clone attractions that actually become big hits or successful franchises anyway...and it's not a new practice either.

The Butlin Boy

HKDL's 'It's a small world' is now officially open!

:mrgreen:

Kristof

Lol, I was just going to post that exact same photo.  It shows the coloured LED lights on the façade that do a show thing every night.