The Walt Disney Company provides funding for park expansion

Started by ford prefect, January 10, 2012, 12:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ford prefect

I have just had an email from Club Actionnaire (The Shareholders Club) advising that The Walt Disney Company has extended an additional €150m.

This could possibly be used to fund the expansion of the Studios

http://corporate.disneylandparis.com/CO ... credit.pdf

More debt, but also more investment
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Samninetysix

Yes, the email does indeed mention using funds for a new attraction in the studios park

"(Marne-la-Vallée, January 10, 2012) Euro Disney S.C.A. (the "Company"), parent company of Euro Disney Associés S.C.A., operator of Disneyland® Paris (together the "Group"), announces that, on January 6, 2012, it has obtained an additional standby revolving credit facility (the "Additional Facility") of € 150 million from The Walt Disney Company. This Additional Facility expires on September 30, 2018 and was advanced in connection with the approval from its lenders to increase the Group's investments by up to € 250 million. These investments correspond to the annual recurring investment budget for fiscal year 2012 and a multi-year expansion of the Walt Disney Studios® Park, which includes a new attraction. The Additional Facility is separate from the € 100 million existin g standby revolving credit facility (the "Existing Facility"), which expires on September 30, 2014 and is still undrawn. The other terms and conditions of the Additional Facility are substantially the same as the Existing Facility."

I wonder what the other "expansion" bit includes....... ;)

Josh

Once they've built Ratatouille, I'm hoping they'll be using the €250 million to build Sorin', as well, in the site between Studio 2 and the Disney Channel studio building. And maybe they'll move the tram tour route to get ready for future expansions. :D
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

ford prefect

They would be hard pressed to get two attractions out of that money considering the rebuild and branding of California Adventure cost $1.1 billion.

It would be better to have one really good attraction and 2 well maintained parks

Columbiad

But maybe that explains all the refurbs we've seen in the last few months - so that they didn't have to dip into this fund for refurbs and can put as much of it as possible on The Walt Disney Studios.

I really hope some of this fund can be put towards some placemaking and themeing in the Studios.

|Q|

i really don't get why Soaring would fit in a studio-themed park

ford prefect

As a demonstration of green screen effects? as a developmental history of screen effects from matte painting to CSO?

Break it's fourth wall and use it as a "Brechtian" tour to replace Armageddon?

Endless possibilities...

|Q|

Quote from: "ford prefect"As a demonstration of green screen effects? as a developmental history of screen effects from matte painting to CSO?

Break it's fourth wall and use it as a "Brechtian" tour to replace Armageddon?

Endless possibilities...

My point is, it's a movie theatre where it's like your flying, and for what i get a big chunk of the experience is sensorial (wind on your face, the smells), so spoiling in some way that is actually a theatre with a movie (being in a park about movies) is kind of breaking the suspension of disbelief. I think for soaring to be succesful the main thing is that you're-not-entering-a-movie-theatre.

Ok i guess they could theme it howard hughes, tying together the golden age of hollywood with aviation, but it's a pretty acrobatic one ;)

Btw: nice towel

ford prefect

Quote from: "|Q|"Btw: nice towel

And I always know where my towel is!

CafeFantasia

@|Q|

My idea for Soarin' is that they bring the theatre and ride system to the Walt Disney Studios Park, but they give it an Iron Man theme. The Walt Disney Studios Park is supposed to be a movies theme park. So, when I go there, I expect to see some modern movies represented. Since Disney now own Marvel, it makes sense to finally use this super popular franchise to create a spectacular new attraction.

Sure, getting the old Soarin' would be nice, but that attraction is 11 years old already! So I think it would be lazy of Disney to simply build a clone of Soarin'. They should take it to the next level: use digital 3D projection, make the ride film one continuous shot (no cuts/edits), and give it a proper story with characters and action. Robert Downey, Jr. could shoot a funny pre-show film, and John Debney (composer of Phantom Manor and Iron Man 2) could do the score.

Also, if Disney built the World's first Iron Man ride in Paris, just imagine how much media attention that would get? People all around the World would be tweeting about it and writing articles about it. It would be a real "attraction", and a lot of people would visit the Walt Disney Studios Park especially to ride it.

Josh

Quote from: "|Q|"i really don't get why Soaring would fit in a studio-themed park
It's always been in the plans. They could bring a film-related story to it without a film-set theme.

@Alan
The problem is that many guests would feel excluded if they haven't seen one of the films or that they might not enjoy it because of their age group. Both younger kids and older generations would enjoy it, but both would mostly be put off by an Iron Man theme.

That's going a bit off-topic, though. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Columbiad

Is anyone able to clarify what a "revolving credit facility" means?

CafeFantasia

QuoteThe problem is that many guests would feel excluded if they haven't seen one of the films or that they might not enjoy it because of their age group.

If that's the case, then how do you explain Universal building attractions based on Terminator 2, Twister, The Mummy, Men In Black, Harry Potter and Jurassic Park? And how do you explain Disney building attractions based on Star Wars, Indiana Jones and Avatar?

Both Iron Man films are rated 12, but they're fine. They're not family films in the traditional sense, but families can enjoy these films together.

penfold12

I must be in the minority, but Ive never understood the attraction of Soarin'.

Put plainly, is one of the least immersive attractions I've ever been on (I have been on both the DL & WDW versions).

The "story" is non existent, and considering its a "flight" there is no take or landing, the film simply cuts to another location every few minutes, not "flying" there, just simply cutting in film from one location to another, so poor! Its 11 years old, out dated, and has been superseded by so much technology and inventive story telling.

I think it would be the biggest waste of money possible!

ford prefect

Quote from: "Columbiad"Is anyone able to clarify what a "revolving credit facility" means?

Essentially it is a glorified credit card.  There is no timescale set for repayment.