WDS masterplan

Started by peter, December 03, 2011, 01:40:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter

so, theres a lot of rumours that WDI have a master plan for the studios. is anyone aware of any sources that may have info?

thanks

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

Not heard these rumours - do they give any details as to what the masterplan is rumoured to be? So far the mandate seems to be 'stop all development'.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

CafeFantasia

You know what Disneyland Paris could do with? Universal Studios Paris! Obviously not on their property, but nearby and in direct competition.

Seriously, I would love for Universal Studios to build a park in France, and show Disney how to do a proper movie studios theme park. It would make the Walt Disney Studios Park look really bad. Think of all the phenomenal (and indoor) attractions Universal could bring:

• Transformers: The Ride
• Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
• Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride
• The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
• Men in Black: Alien Attack
• Terminator 2: 3-D Battle Across Time
• Twister...Ride it Out

BadKid

I've heard a rumour that there is going to be a Universal Studios in Spain.
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

BadKid

Quote from: "Alan"You know what Disneyland Paris could do with? Universal Studios Paris! Obviously not on their property, but nearby and in direct competition.

Seriously, I would love for Universal Studios to build a park in France, and show Disney how to do a proper movie studios theme park. It would make the Walt Disney Studios Park look really bad. Think of all the phenomenal (and indoor) attractions Universal could bring:

• Transformers: The Ride
• Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
• Revenge of the Mummy: The Ride
• The Amazing Adventures of Spider-Man
• Men in Black: Alien Attack
• Terminator 2: 3-D Battle Across Time
• Twister...Ride it Out

I must admit, it would be amazing having a Universal Studios Park in Paris! I wonder where about they would in France build it...
"You laugh at me because I\'m different. I laugh at you because you\'re all the same."
-Lady Gaga?

(icon from Formspring)

CafeFantasia

Well, you know there sort of was a Universal Studios Europe at one point, when Universal bought Port Aventura in Barcelona and called it Universal's Port Aventura, and the whole resort Universal Mediterranea. But there was never a proper Universal Studios park in Europe.

The thing is, if there was a Universal Studios Europe in Spain (e.g. Barcelona) it would be really far away from London. To give you a basis for comparison:

• Universal Studios Hollywood is 340 miles from San Francisco
• Universal Studios Florida is 530 miles from New Orleans
• Barcelona is 515 miles from Paris
• Barcelona is 700 miles from London!

So to me that sounds too far away to bother travelling to. Spain isn't central to the whole of Europe; France is. France is actually a really good place to build a theme park, and the popularity of Disneyland Park proves that.

mvboetzelaer

There is of course Moviepark Germany, near Oberhausen, DE.
This park started as Warner Brothers Movieworld with some greatly themed rides (Yes, also some VERY bad ones), but it didn't attract enough people, got sucked up by the Six Flags, Europe division and got worse since then. So, no real competition to Disney level of entertainment, but a movie themed park has been tried before.

Marnix

davewasbaloo

I really liked Port Aventura when it was owned by Universal. the Masterplan was to have a city walk and a Studio park all on site. Of course that is now dead.

Movie Park is Germany is very poor. But there is still a Warner Bros Movieworld in Madrid (but again, it is a glorified 6 Flags park). And they have struck ground on the Paramount Park in Spain now too.
since 2001 (many before that)

Josh

Quote from: "PirateSteve"Not heard these rumours - do they give any details as to what the masterplan is rumoured to be? So far the mandate seems to be 'stop all development'.
It was from back in the summer during the D23 Expo. Someone asked one of the Imagineers about the Studios.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

CafeFantasia

I'm sure some of you will hate this idea, but I think it would be so cool if they added the same Carthay Circle Theatre building to WDS that they're currently finishing off at DCA. It could replace the Sorcerer Mickey hat and entire Art of Disney Animation building.

From this angle, I can just imagine standing in the hub of WDS, and looking towards this new building, with the Tower of Terror to the left of it, and Crush's Coaster off in the distance to the right.

Photo from Dateline Disneyland

Photo from Google Street View

Columbiad

I agree that a Carthray Circle theatre would look perfect near the TOT, but I think it might look better elsewhere.

What if Hollywood Boulevard was extended, to become a land dedicated to  Hollywood that never was, but led on a Buena Vista Street like at California Adventure. The 'Circle theatre could make a perfect transitional icon - one that continued the Hollywood feel, but led into the theme of Buena Vistra Street.

Having the entrance courtyard, Studio One, Hollywood Boulevard AND a Beuna Vistra Street would make a nice spine to the park - a land dedicated to the glamour and showbiz so associated with old school movie-making.

It would also make a nice transition - to go from the obvious set that is Studio One, Hollywood Boulevard, with it's illusion that makes you doubt if it is a set or intended to be real, to a very real Beuna Vista street. Although you've stepped into the old movies.

|Q|

the thing about "our" hollywood boulevard that always striked me is the ToT right in the middle of the park. I think it can get pretty complicated to put together a believable cityscape just next to the towering hotel. the one in wds it's the only ToT that's not at the extreme boundaries of the park, you can actually walk around most of it (and most of the expansion space is just in it's back, where now we have the STT loading station). i'm really curious to see how they deal with it.

Josh

Yeah, I think they put ToT in completely the wrong place. I think it spoils the vista of the studios at the entrance of the park. It's not related to the story of the Front Lot, so it clashes with it. Plus, it takes up room that could have been used to improve Hollywood Blvd. to a standard similar to Main Street in the future.

There was an idea in the Home Imagineering forum where the Hollywood sign at the end of the street would be real and in the distance, behind a lake. I thought it was a really good idea.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

peter

I think TOT may have been built when there actually wasn't a well thought out plan for the future, and it was a ride to improve attendance right at that moment.

Lorum

I want to move the WDS expansion discussion to this thread.

Universal sold Port Aventura when it was acquired by NBC. Universal built in Spain the most awarded Special Effects Attraction in Europe, it's called "Templo del Fuego" and it was created by Craig Hanna (who also created Twister, Jaws, Terminator..).

[youtube:222qo561]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKrVBVaobKc[/youtube:222qo561]

[youtube:222qo561]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiI02rr6-oI[/youtube:222qo561]

This is what Walt Disney Studios needs.

Now, Paramount is going to build a movie theme park in Murcia (Spain).
"If you can dream it, you can do it"