VIDEO: A Day At Disneyland (1982)

Started by CafeFantasia, November 21, 2011, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CafeFantasia

In 1982 the Disneyland Resort in California sold a 27-minute souvenir tape called "A Day At Disneyland". This is really my favourite souvenir video that Disney has ever made. There's something genuinely magical about it. The soundtrack in particular, arranged by Gary Stockdale, is gorgeous and dreamy.

You can watch the whole thing on YouTube in two parts:

A Day At Disneyland - Part 1
[youtube:37c3m2um]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Wd2X_kRPK0[/youtube:37c3m2um]

A Day At Disneyland - Part 2
[youtube:37c3m2um]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PopZzo_KgTw&feature=related[/youtube:37c3m2um]

Little mermaid 240

Hi
Loved the videos thanks

I have been trying to think if we had the same fashions in 1982 not sure we did!  ;)

I don't like flying so have never been to the American Parks, but couldn't wait for EuroDisney to open and went back in 1992 :thumbs: From watching the video I think we have the better Disneyland in Paris :D
Little Mermaid x

CafeFantasia

@Little mermaid 240

I'm glad you enjoyed it too. I would imagine the majority of the footage in this video was shot in 1980-1981, which explains why everyone is still wearing their 1970s clothing.

You went back to Euro Disney in 1992, or Disneyland in California? Sorry, I couldn't make sense of your sentence.

While the majority of lands and attractions at Disneyland Paris are larger and more elaborate, there's something very charming about the original Disneyland. It has a more intimate, personal feel to it. The buildings are small, and the trees are very lush and mature. The best analogy I can think of is comparing a quaint little family tea room (Disneyland) to a big luxurious restaurant (Disneyland Paris).

Watching the video again, there are a few things/experiences that I wish Disneyland Paris had:

• New Orleans Square (with all those wonderful little cafes and shops)
• A place that makes Mickey Mouse Pancakes, freshly before-your-eyes
• Matterhorn Bobsleds (it would be so cool to have this ride in Fantasyland)

davewasbaloo

Oh, I can't wait to watch this again, I used to own this and it was the time I lived in DL. DLP is grand, DL is magic. While some of the designs of DLP are lovely ,nothing has beat the original IMHO. And the MK in WDW sucks compared to dl or dlp.
since 2001 (many before that)

Epcot_Boy

Thanks for sharing this :thumbs:
Strangely I found the soundtrack a bit flat :(  but really enjoyed this nonetheless 8)

I'm also with you with your 3 wishes, MM pancakes [-o<

David

Little mermaid 240

Hi
Sorry, that was I went to EuroDisney August 1992 :D

I would like mickey mouse pancakes also :thumbs:
Little Mermaid x

CafeFantasia

Does anywhere in Disneyland Park at Disneyland Paris actually serve pancakes already?

If they started serving Mickey Mouse Pancakes, what would be the most suitable location to get them at? I vote for Plaza Gardens Restaurant, as it's the nearest thing we have to the River Belle Terrace.

davewasbaloo

I have enjoyed pancakes at Annette's, the Disneyland Hotel (in 92, all the hotels offered them for a few francs more) and McD's at dlp.

As a kid, we used to go to the park, ride jungle cruise, potc and Haunted Mansion, then grab mickey pancakes. What a great start to the day. Sadly the riverbelle terrace is a quick service restaurant now :-(

CafeFantasia

Thanks @davewasbaloo. So that's three places that serve pancakes. But they're not Mickey Mouse Pancakes, are they? There's a difference  :D

Speaking of pancakes, here is the only photo I could find on Flickr of the pancakes they serve at the Disneyland Hotel in Paris:

davewasbaloo

Oh man, this made me really miss a lot of what is now gone - Country Bear Jamboree, cascade peak on the rivers of America, the people mover, the skyway, and America Sings (I used to love that). Oh well. It is also the days before Indy, Splash Mountain, and Star Tours though.

Also, did you notice how little was shown of Fantasyland? That is because this is when the Fantasyland redo was being constructed giving us the look we know at DLP.

davewasbaloo

No mickey mouse pancakes, no. But DL doesn't have mickey mouse brioche either.

CafeFantasia

@davewasbaloo

Yeah, I noticed that they only showed Storybook Land, the Matterhorn and It's A Small World in Fantasyland. But it never occurred to me the reason why they skipped the rest of the land.

Anyway, Mickey Mouse Pancakes. Let's bring them to Disneyland Paris. How hard can that be? :-)

mattboywonder

I can remember having Mickey shaped Waffles at a restaurant on Main Street in DL in 1995 (I have a photo of us all) - not even sure they still do them in DL let along DLP
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008

mattboywonder

Just watched the video - never seen any actual footage of 'America Sings' before - they didn't have to do much to the cast before putting them in Splash Mountain did they?

Videos like this must have been unique in the early 80's and not many people had videocameras
Disneyland - 1991, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2009, 2010, 2012
Walt Disney World - 1998, 2000, 2010, 2011, 2012
Tokyo Disneyland - 2008, 2011, 2012
Disneyland Paris - 1997, 2002, 2007, 2008, 2009 (March, May, Halloween & Dec), 2010 (Feb, July, Oct & Dec), 2011 (April, July & September), 2012 (March, April & July & New Years Eve) 2013 March
Hong Kong Disneyland - 2007, 2008