Disney Blu-Ray 3D - Lion King announced

Started by Anthony, January 07, 2011, 05:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Yes really, The Lion King will be released for the first time this Autumn not just in high definition but in 3D.

Beauty and the Beast will also be released in Blu-Ray 3D.

I still can't quite get my head around how 3D works on a flat animated movie, but what do you think? They're certainly bringing out the big guns for this new format.

And notice that artsy new cover for The Lion King, which seems to be the new trend following next month's Bambi.

-breeno-

It was only a matter of time before Disney got themselves into the action of 3D Blu-rays.  I'm still a bit undecided on 3D and whether or not it will really take off in the next few years, would be interesting to see how flat animation will play out on it though.

I'm assuming these Blu-rays will be compatible with BR players that aren't connected to a 3DTV?  I currently have no plans to change my current set-up (especially after getting a pretty sweet Sony Bravia last year) but I wouldn't mind adding The Lion King to my Blu-ray collection.  It would also be a chance to watch it for the very first time (yes I know, oh the shame! :oops: )
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

Quote from: "-breeno-"It would also be a chance to watch it for the very first time (yes I know, oh the shame! :oops: )
Ehh?? What???! :lol:

I think some 3D Blu-rays are capable of playing on non-3D systems, where there's a second version of the film on the same disc perhaps, but it looks from these boxes you'll get an extra disc for 3D. In the UK the 3D copy so far seems to have replaced the DVD (so Blu-Ray + 3D + Digital Copy). It is getting quite mad now where you buy a film and get 4 different versions. What I'd like is a HD digital copy, the regular digital copies they give out now are awful and I know that even if I have The Lion King on 50 different discs I'll still end up buying it again as a download one day when we all move to storing films exclusively on hard drives and home servers.

-breeno-

Quote from: "Anthony"Ehh?? What???! :lol:
I know, I know! :oops: :lol:

Quote from: "Anthony"What I'd like is a HD digital copy, the regular digital copies they give out now are awful and I know that even if I have The Lion King on 50 different discs I'll still end up buying it again as a download one day when we all move to storing films exclusively on hard drives and home servers.
Going a little off topic but that's the one reason I'm a bit hesitant on buying DVDs/Blu-rays right now.  If you go back 10 years (maybe less) we were all still using CDs as a music source but now I only own not even a handful of albums in hard copy (and they've all be ripped to my ipod).  It's only a matter of time before movies will be only purchased via download and when you look at companies like Sony heavily advertising their digital download function on the PS3, it seems it'll be sooner rather than later.
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

DLP-Photos.com

Quote from: "-breeno-"It was only a matter of time before Disney got themselves into the action of 3D Blu-rays.  I'm still a bit undecided on 3D and whether or not it will really take off in the next few years, would be interesting to see how flat animation will play out on it though.

I'll second that and just like you I got a brand new Samsung LED TV exactly a year ago, so I am not going to change this in the nearest future (just got a 3D Blu-ray player/recorder though :)) and I'm looking forward to see the 3D on those old 2D features.

However, I am quite against the 3D "revolution" of the movie business - to me it is an excuse for making worse movies, you can get away with a far less convincing story and still sell loads of tickets just due to 3D effects. For me it belongs in theme parks and similar places and not in Hollywood. But that is a completely different discussion.

Nice to see this classic getting an HD-release :D

Quote from: "-breeno-"
Quote from: "Anthony"Ehh?? What???! :lol:
I know, I know! :oops: :lol:

Quote from: "Anthony"What I'd like is a HD digital copy, the regular digital copies they give out now are awful and I know that even if I have The Lion King on 50 different discs I'll still end up buying it again as a download one day when we all move to storing films exclusively on hard drives and home servers.
Going a little off topic but that's the one reason I'm a bit hesitant on buying DVDs/Blu-rays right now.  If you go back 10 years (maybe less) we were all still using CDs as a music source but now I only own not even a handful of albums in hard copy (and they've all be ripped to my ipod).  It's only a matter of time before movies will be only purchased via download and when you look at companies like Sony heavily advertising their digital download function on the PS3, it seems it'll be sooner rather than later.

I just got the new Blu-ray player/recorder even though I already own Apple TV. I agree with you that it will be way more common to have the movies on your hard drive, but I for one would very much still like the collection-feeling of DVD/Blu-Ray :)
/Nicolai

Please visit my DLP website: www.dlp-photos.com

[size=150]Trip report from August 2014[/size]

dagobert

[quote="forza_united
I just got the new Blu-ray player/recorder even though I already own Apple TV. I agree with you that it will be way more common to have the movies on your hard drive, but I for one would very much still like the collection-feeling of DVD/Blu-Ray :)[/quote]

I totally agree with you on that. I also like the collection feeling of DVD/BluRays, and I doubt that BluRay will be disppeared in a few years.

Anthony

So The Lion King 3D has been quite the unexpected hit for Disney, both in the US and now the UK.

Has anyone seen it? How does the 3D actually look?

CafeFantasia

QuoteI agree with you that it will be way more common to have the movies on your hard drive, but I for one would very much still like the collection-feeling of DVD/Blu-Ray.

Actually, the way it will work is, you'll own a cloud copy of a movie. So, you won't actually have a local file that you'll need to store. You'll buy a movie from an online store (such as the iTunes Store, or Amazon) and then you'll be able to stream that movie straight off their servers, whenever you want.

As for the Lion King 3D, I haven't seen it, and I have no intention to. The Lion King is a good film because of its storyline, characters and music. The gimmick of 3D will not make it a better film.