Why the military presence?

Started by Farbauti, September 28, 2011, 12:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farbauti

When visiting DLP some days ago, we saw a bunch of soldiers (real ones :) and not just policemen) in front of the park entry.
Why were they there?
Also what about the bag search at the entrance? The search is so shallow, that smuggling anything through is no problem...

Some kind of "placebo security"?

Best regards,

Martin B

I've seen them many times. But, I've never been quite sure of what they are there for.

In fact one time one of them was yelling his head off at one of those rogue traders who operate between the park entrance, rail station and disney village!

Martin
@DisneyMart - Follow me on twitter and I\'ll tweet live from Disneyland Paris and other Disney locations on our magical adventures... www.twitter.com/DisneyMart

DGRavenswood

They're part of France's anti-terrorism measures and ought to be found patrolling the area of all major train stations... including Marne la Vallée - Chessy. Not the warmest welcome to the Happiest Place in Europe, but it's beyond Disney's control (just like those vendors).
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke

gingajen

They were patrolling the walkways to the car park last time we were there too.

peter

After all of the bomb scares recenty, I've heard rumour that there are more of them, and one rumour even more strange and more unlikely is that apparently They've started wearing normal clothes. Don't know if it's true or not

Farbauti

Bomb scares? The military presence would only be of help if someone would come screaming "Look here, I have a bomb and I'm gonna use it."
Every more subtle behavior wouldn't be recognized. As I said, the bag search is laxly. You could bring everything in the park you want.
And one word on anti-terrorism measures: The 5 days we were in the parks, we saw a lot of aircrafts above the park. Civil planes, helicopters, even a motorized kite. One plane flew directly over the castle. These vehicles could have dropped anything...
For anti-terrorism declaring a no-flight zone would be useful.

So, in my eyes, all the soldiers and bag checking is just to lull the visitors into a false sense of security :(

Best regards,

DGRavenswood

Quote from: "Farbauti"For anti-terrorism declaring a no-flight zone would be useful.

The parks are and have always been a no-flight zone.

But as I said, the military isn't there to protect Disney... it's there for the train station. Whether that's effective or not you had better discuss with the French government.
David G. Ravenswood
Host, Ravenswood Manor

Twitter | Facebook

"Without a doubt ... the most inclusive online experience of DLP Frontierland." –Jeff Burke