Expanding WDS with a DCA expansion plan.

Started by Columbiad, August 16, 2011, 09:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Columbiad

I couldn't help feeling that this has been done before, but I couldn't find it, so I'll stick this out there.

Reading Al Lutz's latest update on Disney California Adventure's humungus expansion, I can't help thinking and hoping that The Walt Disney Company might turn their attention (and money!) to Eisner's blot on Disneyland Paris.  
So I wondered: if they were to, they might take a similar approach, in terms of choices of new attractions and the scale of expansions. As usual, its a fight between commercial and creative potential and success, so I thought, by following their template, we could perhaps gauge an idea of how Walt Disney Studios might be expanded. Plus, it might be quite fun.

So; here's the template.

A resort development preview centre with an original theme

An interactive ride based on a popular franchise

An exciting and innovative night-time spectacular

A new dark ride based on a Disney classic

A new and improved entrance area and park "hub."

An extensive new land, based on a popular franchise, with one major attraction, and two minor attractions. (Probably the hardest!)

Copy and paste it, and offer your Walt Disney Studio alternatives to Disney California Adventure's upcoming offerings. I'll post mine soon.   :)

CafeFantasia

This should definitely go on Main Street, U.S.A. Disneyland Anaheim has a Disney Gallery inside a Bank, which looks beautiful.

Monsters Inc. Ride and Go Seek from Tokyo Disneyland

It has to be World of Colour. They have to bring this to Paris.

I don't think this type of attraction belongs in WDS. Bring the Mermaid to Disneyland Park :-)

Front Lot is great as it is, but the hub needs remodelling, with its own Red Car Trolley.

An extensive new land, based on a popular franchise, with one major attraction, and two minor attractions. (Probably the hardest!)
Short of an Iron Man land, and a Star Wars land, another Cars Land may be the best thing to build.

Josh

Put it in the Art of Animation, I think. It's a prominant place for it. They might need to temporarily take away some other parts of the attraction, though.

We've already got Ratatouille, so I'll think of something else. Maybe a third-party, because there need to be more studio-themed rides. Maybe an Avatar show where live actors use the motion control technology to make some sort of show.

And it would have to involve a big lake, too. Hmm. World of Colour might not be good for Paris, because it may be too cold to operate it in the winter. How about a show involving lights and boats? Or we could just have a DisneySea-esque Fantasmic.

I'm not sure. But I don't think we need any more of these.

Let's improve the interior of Studio 1. Use a real tarmac floor and higher quality sets. Make it feel like a real Hollywood street at night.

Wow! Well... not Indiana Jones, not Star Wars, not Harry Potter... Oh, I know! James Bond! A high-speed Test Track-esque car chase as the big ride! I'm not sure what the other two would be, though. One would have to be a behind-the-scenes ride and the other would have to be a kid-friendly one.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

lil-shawn

After the Opening of World of Disney Store i would put it in the old Disney Store at Disney Village.
This can stay for a longer period and could get everytime an update, when something new is coming to
the whole resort!

Ratatouille it will be the next interactive Dark ride, so no need for another!

It has to be World of Color, even if a lake needs to get build!

Its not a classic but it would fit better than a classic!
Imagine you enter the Flynns arcarde, The games on each side can be used while you wait in Line. At the tron Game
is a Door, this will open an a few peeps would get in before it closes again, you step down an you come into the baseroom.
with a special effect (never seen before) the room Changes into the grid. and here you can enter the Tron Lightcycle coaster! Entrance between RnRC and Motors Action, while the whole Coaster Building is behind the Stund Show Arena!

As i always said, Get rid of the whole Front Lot and Studio 1 (donĀ“t understand how someone like this concreet bunker)
and change it into the Buena Vista Street. The Entrance need to get opend up, the ToT looming over the buena vista street buildings ect. just an amazing few and it will draw in peeps. (next year when BVS opens at DCA a lot of here will argee but til then no one has enough imagination, to see what i see)

An extensive new land, based on a popular franchise, with one major attraction, and two minor attractions.
Just two words: Stark Expo!

I will give you guys a map of my Disney Studios, based on $1.2 Billion Makeover in a few days, just have to finish it
but everything can be made in a 5 years development when those 1.2 billion would be given for an WDS makeover.

|Q|

Oh, now this IS fun =)

Blockbuster Cafe looks like such a wasted space... otherwise some area in STUDIO 1 could be repurposed.

that would be ratatouille, i think. But adding an INCREDIBLES ride, that would be really awesome.

we'll see how well will go that new fountains thing in the castle moat, but i'm not sure a fountain show in paris winter would really work

i'd really love to have a great movie ride (or even the long talked muppet movie ride)

this is tricky, since they've put ToT in such a central and unusual place, but they should make hollywood blvd. in a real hollywood street, and stretch it past the awful studio tram tour loading station (gettin rid of the STT altogether)

An extensive new land, based on a popular franchise, with one major attraction, and two minor attractions.

I would save marvel characters for the third gate (i've been thinking for some time about a heroes/miths/legends based third gate). i like the 007 idea, but for an entire land, would be pretty low key compared to the impressive landscaping of cars land (unless, of course, we'd end up with a <3 SpECTRE secret base hidden in a japanese volcano <3 ). we'd need something super-immersive like carsland or WWoHP, maybe something from europe (WWoHP would be pitch perfect, but universal own the rights, so no way...) Maybe a Doctor Who land? LOL

Q

Scissorsboi

I'll take a stab at it!

A resort development preview centre with an original theme Repurpose the area of Studio 1 on the opposite side of the toilets corridor into a 'directors studio' where we see plans for future movies which will be produced in the backlot. False brickwork walls make an 'office' and the windows have rear projected characters walking past in silhoutte on their way to meetings with directors (you could be looking at a design for a ride and then look out the window to see Mickey walking past with Walt etc)

Muppets Stunt School to replace Armageddon, same concept as Toy Story Mania, but with Muppets characters in short sketches. The story is that you're the health and safety guys in the Muppet Theatre and have come to investigate, as you ride you're taken from sketch to sketch (similar to The Muppet Show itself), where you encounter Muppets doing dangerous stunts which spoof classic film stunts. You have to shoot targets to release pillows/matresses/pools of water to stop the stunt going wrong.

Night Lights TRONtacular, a show where 3D Mapping is projected onto the buildings of Backlot, with the RnR sign as a main screen. Guests gather anywhere down the street and get a 360 view of the world of TRON coming to life, as the buildings get transformed into areas of the grid around them, pyro on the rooftops could also spark to add more depth to the experience. Imagine looking down the street sets and seeing a red Lightcycle speeding down the left , a blue on the right and at the end of the street they collide showering the sky with blue and red sparks, blending the video into reality nicely.

Simply has to be a Mary Poppins attraction located in a new sub section of the park (extending out towards STT), a Cherry Tree Lane set is built for people to wander down, listening to the sounds of the park, Admiral cleaning his windows and finally entering into the Bank's residence. The ride itself would be a Peoplemover through the key scenes of the attraction, including a finale as you go into one of Bert's paintings and join the cast of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! A tribute to a beautiful movie!

To tie into the Blue Sky Cellar theme, transform the inside of Studio 1 into a bustling 1950's film studio, with offices and gantries stacked up high, where characters from movies roam free going from meeting to meeting and nothing dreamable isn't made. The current shop would turn into a 'prop shop' where you can buy items 'being used in the latest movies', and the food area would become a Brown Derby themed restaurant.

The lot out the front would stay the same in theme, with the real journey beginning when you step into the production offices, and travel through until you're out into the world of movies the other side. You go from 'theme park movie studio' to 'production offices' to 'the dreams of the movies'. That should mop up some of the more dodgy theme transitions we currently have too.

As others have said, Stark Enterprises would be amazing to see come to life, however as I'm still unsure on my view of Marvel in the parks, I'm gonna go for an original theme which encompasses franchises. The area would be called 'Action Valley', and have an E-Ticket of 'Mars Racers', using the ride vehicles from Journey To The Centre of the Earth at DisneySea and a dark ride taking guests through the upcoming John Carter movie, before blasting them out of a martian geyser into a lap of the martian landscape, encountering rock pillars, steaming pools of acid water and giving guests an experience that they've just become part of the movie.

One of the other 2 attractions would be 'National Treasure: Flood Warning' a ride based on Aquatopia where guests board their cars and surf the waves around rocky arches, through swampy treelined areas and into rocky caverns where you see the treasure you're looking for. The queue would be in a library style building and you'd see Nicholas Cage speak to guests through effects similar to how you see Harry, Ron and Hermione in Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey.

The second ride would be an Armageddon return, but a Mission Space style attraction this time where you enter into a bunker carved into the rock side and experience the take off of the rocket as you fly towards the meteor itself. The ending of the ride could be changed so that you do save Earth and that you return home, as the exit corridor is a patriotic 'welcome home heroes' theme.

Overall the area would be like a hybrid of Carsland with the rocky outcrops and the atmosphere of a slightly darker Discoveryland, quite imposing, with the rides hidden away behind banks of rocks and rugged foliage, steam occasionally jetting out from many vent holes around the area and a focal point of a ball of fire which erupts from one of the rock pillars when Mars Racers wraps around it.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.