Captain America: The First Avenger (Marvel 2011)

Started by Anthony, August 04, 2011, 12:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Although released by Paramount, as a Marvel Studios film, it seems like we should include it here now...

What did you all think of The First Avenger?

Anthony

Although having practically no knowledge of Captain America, I'd heard nothing but good things from so many Disney commentators since the US release last week. It completely lived up to that. As one of the reviews I'd read said, "this is the real deal": Incredible production values, great story, fantastic villain. The whole package.

I can now finally understand the purchase of Marvel. It adds a whole new variety to what we understand to be "Disney" but, thankfully, it seems to fit. If we can associate Indiana Jones with Disney, Captain America is spot on.

For me it seemed like such a tirade of so many awesome things I was beginning to worry they'd subconsciously extracted some kind of movie wish list from my brain:

[spoiler:p41vbmcp]- 1940s period settings
- Vintage car chases
- Mountain lairs
- Train fights
- Underdog heroes
- Glamorous wartime femme fatales
- Buff men
- That awesome World's Fair scene
- Crazy wall-breaking endings

- And an Alan Menken song??![/spoiler:p41vbmcp]
What's not to love?!

Soap

Hope to see him soon, can't wait for more Avangers!  :thumbs:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CafeFantasia

Yeah, based on your review Anthony, I'm going to go and see it. If you say it's a good film, then it must be :-)

peep

It is such an awesome film. It does seem to just have everything. The trailer after the credits got me uber excited for next year too. Oh and I totally wasn't expecting an Alan Menken song in there :D
Next visit to DLP: October 26th
Coaster Count: over 320

Soap

Quote from: "Soap"Hope to see him soon, can't wait for more Avangers!  :thumbs:

Finally had a night of and time to go see Captain America!
Well it was a good and fun movie, maybe not the best comic make over ever, but it was a great
introduction to the Avangers and had some nice effects and scenes on it sleeves  :thumbs:

So i agree on Anthony's first comment, what not to love about this one ;)
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

CafeFantasia

I enjoyed Captain America and I appreciated the similarity between it and The Rocketeer (same director, same style). However if I'm being totally honest, it's no Iron Man. It's a good film, but Iron Man is on another level.

I still hope that Disney will bring an Iron Man attraction to the Walt Disney Studios Park, some time this decade. If you think about it, the character of Iron Man is very similar to The Rocketeer (flying man/human rocket) except MUCH cooler.