Worldwide Celebration to Honor Rapunzel as Disney Princess

Started by dagobert, June 14, 2011, 03:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

I've never liked the Disney Princess Franchise and in my opinion Disney is marketing them too much. In recent years the whole company used the princesses way too often, but now I think they are going crazy:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... /#comments

That's right, we'll soon have a new official member of our Disney Princess court and that calls for a royal celebration. We're thrilled to announce this morning that we'll be welcoming Rapunzel as our tenth Disney Princess with a star-studded ceremony at Kensington Palace in London, UK.

And what better place than Kensington Palace, right? It's been the home of many real-life princesses over the centuries and on October 2, 2011, it'll be the place for a world-first ceremony honoring Rapunzel. All ten Disney Princess characters will be there, joined by VIPs, celebrities and little princesses from around the globe. The festivities will include a procession through Hyde Park, party activities and an amazing welcoming ceremony.

What do you think abou that? I know families with little girls will be happy, but I think it is just another opportunity to get as much money out of the franchise, since Disney clearly wants to use the hype of the British Royal Couple. I thought Kensington Palace is the London residence of Prince William and his wife.

I really thought after the redesign of Fantasyland, Disney will not use the princesses that much again. Now it looks like a reboot. Looking at the commentaries at the official blog, this clearly resonates mostly with little girls.

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "dagobert"Now it looks like a reboot. Looking at the commentaries at the official blog, this clearly resonates mostly with little girls.

That appears to be Disney's core audience. this is why I am more of a Disney historian these days, and my kids would rather go to Europa Park than DLP.

Still it is cute though (if they had more masculine things on offer too).
since 2001 (many before that)

Faithfully

But the main audience of Disney are children, and princes and princesses are the essential part of the world of cartoona dn fairytales. I can't say there are too many of them. Plus, adults also need some fairytale to believe in  :)

Disney_Dreamer

Quote from: "Faithfully"But the main audience of Disney are children, and princes and princesses are the essential part of the world of cartoona dn fairytales. I can't say there are too many of them. Plus, adults also need some fairytale to believe in  :)

Disney is for everyone, not just for children. All my family - apart from the grandparents - love Disney and going to the parks. I think it is a neat idea and it is the Disney Princess films - in my view - that stick in people's minds, especially Snow White. It just gives people a chance to have something to believe in and to re-create peoples' imaginations.

Pete's Dragon

10th Princess ??

In no particular order:
1. Snow White
2. Cinderella
3. Aurora
4. Ariel
5. Jasmine
6. Belle
7. Tiana
8. Rapunzel
9. Eilonwy (I doubt she's one of the 10)
10......... So help me if someone says Mulan or Pocahontas

Josh

Sorry, but Mulan and Pocohontas are officially considered to be princesses. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Princesses

Apparently, you don't have to actually be a princess to be a Disney Princess. :?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Pete's Dragon

What!?!?!?
 :evil:

Vegitabeta

Yeah I never knew why Mulan was in there, seems dumb.  I wanted to go to this ceremony for Rapunzel but it looks like I can't :(

dmmosh69

i thinnk that its a rearly good idea that mulan is a princess she has the qualitys that makes a disney princess and thats why her and anyone who is brave and smart

Reiana

There are new pictures of the ceremony on Facebook. So many pretty ladys!

Vegitabeta

I just had a look, wish I could have been there, it looked so nice!