The Future of Disneyland Paris

Started by dagobert, June 09, 2011, 03:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

I have a love/hate relationship towards Studio 1. I think WDS has one of the most beautiful themepark entrances with the Studio Gate and Front Lot with the fountain. Front Lot needs the huge studio to work.

On the other hand Studio 1 became too small in recent years. It takes some time to pass trough. The bad weather isn't really the problem. Even in DLP the arcades don't get that crowded when it is raining. Most people stay outside and use Main Street. When the weather is bad the Studio 1 can't accomodate many visitors. WDS lacks indoor restaurants to spend some time.

CafeFantasia

Fair enough, but whenever I enter Studio 1 I always ask myself, is this full Disney quality? Is this Disney doing their best? Would they ever have an entrance of this quality in California or Tokyo? And the answer that comes into my head is... no.

I think the idea of having a covered entrance isn't a bad one, it's just Disney's execution of that idea in Paris. Universal Studios Japan has an excellent implementation of a Hollywood street that retains the daylight of an outdoors environment, while being completely protected from bad weather:

dagobert

Do we really need a covered entrance in the first place. I know the weather can be bad in Paris, but most of the parks is still an outside area. There are better options than a covered entrance. They just need to offer more indoor restaurants and shops. That also helps that people will spend more money on beverages, food and merchandise.

There are so many themeparks across Europe, Japan and North America and there the weather is also bad and many don't have a covered entrance.

davewasbaloo

So many responses. I actually do not like USO or Sentosa's covered walkways. Being covered with that detail, it does not look like sets, it feels like "oh, I'm in a theme park). I think Studio 1 looks like a scene out of Singing in the Rain - 1 of my fav movies, so  I am biased.

As to other parks not having coverage, well most of them in bad weather areas are closed through winter. DLP is still too cold for me from November through April, so we do not go during that time of the year too often. If the studios were more covered, we might.

But I grew up at studios and theatres as many of my family are in the business. That is why I loved WDSP when it opened, it felt like the real deal. Clearly it does not resonate as a theme with folks though.
since 2001 (many before that)

Adam

Personally, I like Studio 1. However, I could see the area getting revamped - revamping the internal aspects and  replacing the doors with bigger ones to open up the space.

Also, what I could see them doing is giving it an extension at the rear - add a extra building on either corner and utilising some of the existing building, creating two new proper restaurants. This would of course give some much needed restaurants, as well as give Studio 1 a bit more of a purpose and make the area a bit more busy (other than just walking in and out of the park through it!).

davewasbaloo

If a band is on, I never just walk through there ;-)

To be honest, I would rather they built shops and restaurants throughout the park, there are already 3 shops in that area (if you could Front lot) and a large counter service. We really need themed table service options - I know that is the one thing that drives us out of the park.

gldc

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Considering DCA is getting a Billion for it's 5 new attractions and retheming.
If thats a billion dollars then that's 690million euros, so they are getting a fair amount more.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

davewasbaloo

Yes, but that 1bn is for this three year programme - not 8 years. Sorry if my point was not clear.

davewasbaloo

Also construction costs are about 25% higher in DLP than Anaheim

dagobert

I think that amount is a good start, since the money is not coming from the world's biggest entertainment company, like at DCA. Instead ED SCA is founding the money, if I'm not mistaken. Taken that in account, I think there is not more possible.

As I mentioned somewhere else, TWDC should take a little bit more responsibility in Disneyland Paris. Although it is not wholly owned by them, they still have the last word on all decisions. Unfortunately TWDC is focusing on their own parks and on SHDL and Paris is left behind. Even in Hong Kong they are investing. When did they invest in DLRP the last time? I think it was WDS and that money was transferred to the ED SCA debt. The company also didn't invest in TOT and Toon Studios. That money came from a restructuring. I think SM was the last time when TWDC invested directly into the resort and SM is still owned by WDI and leases it to DLRP.

gldc

Exactly. When you do see the incomes of the resorts you can see why DLP isnt getting funded though.

The fundamental thing they need to do in my opinion, is in addition to building more attractions, reduce the prices. If you have people going to McDonalds instead of getting counter service food in the park it is because of the price. 11/12 euros for a burger and fries and drink which cost 5 euros in mcdonalds is ridiculous. It's not just the food though. The price of day tickets is ludicrous and the hotels are vastly overpriced. Attracting more visitors would surely increase profits.

On the other hand, if this is true, 500 million euros is a lot of money but I'd hope they'd manage to secure a similar amount within the next 4-5 years, as one new e-ticket every 3 years really isn't going to cut it when you have vast expansions with whole new attractions opening up in the US.

With the 500k I'd love to see Soarin and Test Track come over, though TT seems unlikely due to the weather. So maybe a little mermaid attraction would be nice too, it just doesnt fit in the studios in my opinion. Plus I imagine upgrading Star tours would be a lot cheaper than an e-ticket. I'd also like to see Captain EO replaced.

This also pretty much eliminates the idea of a third theme park coming any time soon.  :cry: Any idea what kind of cost that would entail? I'd guess in the region of around 3-5billion depending on the size?
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

Columbiad

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Though there are some debates about possibly Rat (though this is still not green lit) or Little Mermaid.

Debates among fans or debates at DLP? Is iThe Little Mermaid being considered for the Park?

davewasbaloo

Debates within the company.

Columbiad

Thanks! Wow, fantastic. Great to know they they're considering it.

CafeFantasia

Updating Pirates of the Caribbean, updating Phantom Manor and bringing Star Tours 3D to the park should all be priorities over The Little Mermaid.

But then, after they've done those three, they should get cracking on the Little Mermaid.