Brother Bear (2003)

Started by Kristof, January 15, 2004, 01:05:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

Have you already seen the new Brother Bear?  Is it any good???  I love the soundtrack, but the movie isn't released here yet.

flor

The little bear will start walking around in Belgium cinema's from February 4th.

Anthony

Quote from: "flor"The little bear will start walking around in Belgium cinema's from February 4th.

omg you have to wait so long?!  :shock:

Here's what i said about the film after i saw it:

Quote from: "Baloo 2 on DLP.info replying to Alan"***WARNING: I've tried to make this as spoiler-less as possible!***

Well i (finally) saw Brother Bear today and when i read through Alan's review i realised i agreed with pretty much everything he said...

>I've read quite a few dissapointing reviews of this movie, in
>Newspapers and magazines, so I wasn't expecting much.

Nope, neither was i but i enjoyed every minute of it! This film has a real sense of heart and warmth that i think was missing from Treasure Planet, and it is this that keeps you completely involved in the film

>When the film started, I wasn't really enjoying it, because I
>wasn't sure if it was going to be good or not. I wasn't
>convinced. However, when Kenai started his first day as a
>bear, the film REALLY started (for me).

It took me a while to get into the film aswell, but i think by the time the three brothers were being attacked on the mountain i was hooked and it just kept getting better. I did much prefer the parts featuring the animals instead of people, and when Kenai was turned back into a human at the end i was sat there wishing "no! i want him to stay as a bear!!"  

>I won't spoil the story for those who haven't seen it, but
>it's a good one. You end up caring about the characters, which
>makes the sadder moments quite envolving.

Yes, the film is very involving and you really do feel emotion during the sadder scenes. Kenai's flashback scenes and then when he has to tell Koda are two very sad moments in the film. Now i know why Brother Bear is compared to Bambi, not just The Lion King.

>As for Phil Collins' music, it's well produced, but there's
>only one melody you go away remembering, "I'm On My Way".

Yes, the songs are good but i agree you only really remember "On My Way". I do, however, remember "Welcome" well because of the stunning animation there of all the bears in the river - simply amazing! Why oh why are they stopping Traditional Animation?   Other than that though, Phil Collins' Tarzan soundtrack is much better overall.

>The film was funny. Very funny in parts. There were lots of
>good, fresh gags. Stay for the end credits, 'cos there are a
>few hilarious moments there.

Yes, now i understand why they decided to put those Goats on the US DVD cover! (I won't spoil the joke for anyone who hasn't seen the movie yet). Rutt and Tuke are also very funny throughout the film, and what i think is good is that you warm to them even though they are the "comic relief" for the film.

The film's idea of "seeing the world through different eyes" works extreemly well at drawing you in and getting you to care about the characters. The animation is some of the best i have ever seen, the characters are interesting and well designed and the story was (for me) suprisingly good. What confirms to me that this is a good film is that my sister who didn't even want to see it enjoyed it all! Brother Bear shows that Traditional Animation is not dead. Disney still has what it takes to make great 2D films - so WHY stop?? If this was Disney's last 2D film then i would be disappointed but happy because it deserves to be up there with the other great films such as Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, etc. even if it is no Lion King beater.

Great film, eh? Roll on Home on the Range!

experiment627

Thanks Baloo for this wonderful review (even though I just read half of it ... I don't want to read too many spoilers...).

Makes me want to see this movie a bit more...

...although I kind of get the feeling that I'm a bit "maxed out" when it comes to Disney movies... to me, they just don't feel that "special" anymore...  :-/

Anthony

Quote from: "experiment627"...although I kind of get the feeling that I'm a bit "maxed out" when it comes to Disney movies... to me, they just don't feel that "special" anymore...  :-/

I think this is party Disney's fault in marketing their Traditionally Animated movies.  Every Pixar film is a real event for everyone, whereas Disney's 2D films, however good, seem to be forgotten about or just ignored completely.  I hardly saw any adverts for Brother Bear here in the UK even though it got good reviews from the press.  It hardly made any money at the box office because of the lack of advertising and word of mouth (which is always huge with every Pixar film).

My only hope for the 3D animation revolution happening at Disney right now is that it makes people sit up and take notice of Disney again.  Then perhaps if they have a few successful 3D films they might consider doing a proper 2D feature film again, though i doubt it because knowing Disney if 3D works then they'll use it to its death...  :?  :(

Brother Bear is something to get excited about though; the animtaion is absolutely amazing, the music is excellent (i like it a lot lot more now i've got the CD), and there is basically everything you could want from a 2D Disney movie.  I really want to see this film again now.  I think it is the kind of film that really benefits from a second viewing, but i'm not sure if i can wait till May when it's out on 2disc DVD...  :?

experiment627

You know, I remember the time when everybody got excited about the new Disney... the thrill of seeing "Beauty and the Beast", "Aladdin", "The Lion King", "Pocahontas"... because back then, there was just one Disney at a time...

Nowadays they are marketing their butts off. There's just sooo much Disney. There are the special DVDs that they are marketing, then those horrible cheapquels (who's looking forward to "Mulan 2"? "The Lion King 1 1/2"? "Lilo & Stitch 2"?) - oh yeah, and a few of the real movies...

sigh... it's like with cake. I really cake. But now, they offer cake (of very different qualities) each and ever day - and who will blame me that I'm now kind of sick of cake?