DL Marvel Attraction

Started by 999ghosts, April 21, 2011, 12:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dagobert

I have already been to London and visited Madame Tussauds, the Planetarium next to it and the BA London Eye, which I enjoyed a lot. Actually we wanted to skip Tussauds this year, but that attraction might be a lot of fun.

davewasbaloo

Hmmm, it depends what else you have on and done before. Personally I would always prioritise the British Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Victoria and Albert Museum and the Science Museum first (they are free) as well as the National Gallery. Then there are the huge numbers of stage shows. Dinner in china town. Walks by the river. So much to do.

It is good, but if you were specifically coming and were going to pony up 30 euros, just for the 15 minute experience, I could not recommend it. If combining it with everything else, then I would say go for it.

Did you do the London dungeons last time? That can be fun too.
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

The British Museum is on our to do list. It is really great that museums are free in the UK. Over here we have to pay.

We didn't do the Dungeons last time, because my brother was too young, but we are thinking about it.

We have also planned the Tower, although I have already seen it, including the Crowne Jewels, but my girlfriend hasn't, and a half day tour to Stonehenge. Maybe Buckingham Palace, I want to see the Changing of the Guards, bacause last time I've missed it.

Unfortunately it's impossible to visit the MI6 headquarters, but the building looks fantastic, and so we need to go there. IT's so convinient that everything is in walking distance in London. So it is no problem to see Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliaments in one day. Maybe we will also go to Greenwich and the financial district. I like modern architecture and there are some great buildings, especially the HSBC building.

Last time my parents took us to Cats and it was amazing. Given that I like musicals, we are thinking about "Wicked".

davewasbaloo

Stonehenge is not a half day, it is a very long full day, being a couple of hundred Km outside of London and no where near a train.  I love it, but do not kid yourself, it is best done as an overnight at least coupled with Salisbury Cathedral, Bath or the caves of Cheddar.

MI6 is closed for good reason. But there are other government buildings that are interesting, and the Cabinet War rooms are an interesting visit.

For modern architecture, I always recommend both the financial district and the docklands, be sure to use the Docklands Light Railway!

Wicked is excellent, as is the Lion King. I am quite keen to try Shrek, that opens this week. Les Miserables and Phantom of the Opera are also excellent choices. Sometimes you can get opera tickets for as low as £9, worth trying to do.

dagobert

We found a tour operator on the internet that offers half day tours to Stonehenge, but we might consider your advice. The docklands must be great. I have seen a documentary on National Geographic about strange things happening there. You guessed it, it aired during Halloween season.

davewasbaloo

If you like Harry Potter, you could seek out some of the sights where it was filmed. Also a real hidden gem, is St Pancras Station itself, we sure to go outside and look at it. And just down the street you have the National Library - best for English readers, but there is a display with hand written Shakespeare, the Beatles, Magna Carta, Handel, Elgar, Alice in Wonderland, JRR Tolkien and many more. It is free and worth a look if in the area.

If you like ghostly things, check out Highgate Cemetary in Islington.

Pete's Dragon

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"Yes it is, it will be there for 3 or 4 more years I belive. Be sure if you are going to Madame Tussauds to get a combo ticket with the Eye, and if you are going at a busy time and get them in advance, you could save quite a bit of money. Let me know if you have an London questions.

Another good money saving tip is http://daysoutguide.co.uk/2for1-london but only if you're travelling into the capital by train.
And dont get the Gatwick/Heathrow Express. Normal trains are 1/10th price and take only 10mins longer

davewasbaloo

Very good point Pete's Dragon.

Josh

Hmmm. We're going a bit off-topic. XD
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

davewasbaloo

It's called a discussion board for a reason, if you wish to bring the discussion back on topic, go right ahead... :)

Josh

Sorry. I'm a moderator on a couple of other forums. I'm used to pointing that out. XD

I wouldn't think we'd find a Marvel attraction in WDW, though, since the superhero island at Islands of Adventure has quite a few. Do Universal still own the rights to creating Marvel attractions... or does it not work like that?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

davewasbaloo

It doesn't work like that. Universal is licenced to use the characters they already have, but none of the others. Just like Sony can produce Spiderman films, and Xmen can be done by another. The licence at Tussauds is for 5 years.