Wreck-It Ralph (Disney 2012)

Started by Anthony, April 07, 2011, 03:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Reboot Ralph is the Winter 2012 computer animated release from Walt Disney Animation Studios. Their 52nd animated motion picture, it will follow this year's traditionally animated Winnie the Pooh.

Previously known as Joe Jump, it was just moved up from its originally intended March 2013 release to November 2012 in the US, a spot vacated by Monsters University. The original story was about a low-bit video game character from the early 1980s who ends up in the high-bit world of modern videogames.

JelleP

Sounds like an interesting story to me...
Haven't seen anything like that in animation before! Let's see how it looks after the first pictures are released :)
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

littlemermaid83

Sounds interesting I guess.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Soap

Hmmm...interesting one and surely one where a lot of different opinions will be in place i guess.
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

-breeno-

Interesting concept, as someone with a huge interest in the video games industry I will be keeping my eye on this one.  Retro gaming has always meant something to the gamer and will always be present in the current and forth coming generations (just look at Nintendo, they've managed to build a whole franchise out of Mario and he's still the biggest name in gaming).

I think this will be one or lost depending on what Disney can do licensing wise.  Will Disney be willing to dish out cash to have the names/characters from current video games in it or will they just make up their own?  I don't know how many people here are gaming savvy but the biggest franchise at the moment is clearly Call of Duty.  I'll put money on it now it won't be making any appearance in the film but I'd expect a few references to "Untitled war shooter games".
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

This was recently renamed to Wreck-It Ralph.

QuoteWreck-It Ralph (voice of Reilly) longs to be as beloved as his game's perfect Good Guy, Fix-It Felix (voice of McBrayer). Problem is, nobody loves a Bad Guy. But they do love heroes... so when a modern, first-person shooter game arrives featuring tough-as-nails Sergeant Calhoun (voice of Lynch), Ralph sees it as his ticket to heroism and happiness. He sneaks into the game with a simple plan -- win a medal -- but soon wrecks everything, and accidentally unleashes a deadly enemy that threatens every game in the arcade.

Ralph's only hope? Vanellope von Schweetz (voice of Silverman), a young troublemaking "glitch" from a candy-coated cart racing game who might just be the one to teach Ralph what it means to be a Good Guy. But will he realize he is good enough to become a hero before it's "Game Over" for the entire arcade?

-breeno-

I'm getting good and bad points from that plot summary.  Firstly the way it is described it seems that the movie is more based on the arcade style gaming (i.e in your retro huge machines) as oppose to home gaming.  Bad move in my eyes because arcades are nearly non existent now and with fair reasoning; why pay to play primitive button bashing games when you play good thought out ones in the comfort of your own home?  Going for the more popular and modern home gaming would have been a better idea, we could have even got some hilarious scenes of stereotypical gamers :P  The overall plot seems a bit cliché too, bad guy wants to be a hero?  I've never saw the movie myself but sounds similar to what I've heard Mega Mind is about - only with a gaming theme.

However two good points: nice to see they have realised first-person shoots are the big name right now and are exploiting it.  Also the main character names sound like they were ripped straight out of a classic NES game from the 80s, I just hope they can incorporate that, the idea of seeing an 8 bit sprite running around in a HD shooter amuses me.

So yeah good points, bad points and a lot of unnecessary over thinking but hey, it's what I do, I'm a gamer ;)  :mrgreen:
"You\'re dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."
- Walt Disney

DisneyMagic Live Chat - Just click to join!

Anthony

Some bits from D23:

[youtube:2es8cedw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdkormMs-Lc[/youtube:2es8cedw]
And a good write-up of the presentation and first 4 minutes that were previewed: http://io9.com/5832959/disneys-wreck+it ... ideo-games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pussinboots

Sounds like Pixar. Sounds like Toy Story. ("An old-fashioned toy meets a modern toy," pop culture binging ensues.) Sounds like it's got potential.

Anthony

Very Toy Story.

It seems like 2012 is some kind of exchange programme year between the studios, with Pixar producing a Disney fairytale and Disney producing a Pixar "what if" picture. Might be a good thing...

sebassah

Quote from: "Anthony"Very Toy Story.

It seems like 2012 is some kind of exchange programme year between the studios, with Pixar producing a Disney fairytale and Disney producing a Pixar "what if" picture. Might be a good thing...

Yeah sometimes you have to shake things up! Excited for both titles.

Anthony

Three new images from the film.

Wreck-It Ralph is the 9-foot-tall, 643-pound villain of an arcade video game named Fix-It Felix Jr., in which the game's titular hero fixes buildings that Ralph destroys.

Wanting to prove he can be a good guy and not just a villain, Ralph escapes his game through the power cord and lands in Hero's Duty, a first-person shooter where he helps the game's hero, Sergeant Calhoun, battle against "Cy-Bugs", the game's alien invaders.

He later enters Sugar Rush, a kart racing game set on tracks made of candies, cookies and other sweets. There, Ralph meets Vanellope von Schweetz, one of that game's characters, who has learned that her game is faced with a dire threat that could affect the entire arcade, and one that Ralph may have inadvertently started.

MissDisneyisMagical

those images look really good i cant wait for this to come out
<center><embed src="http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/show.swf?message=Kirsty&font=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/fonts/plainn_lib.swf&glitter=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/glitters/glitter78.swf&clickURL=http://www.satisfaction.com/glittermaker/&type=0&clickLABEL=Glitter Text Maker&flashLABEL=Satisfaction.com&bevel=0&shadow=1&glow=1&blur=0&fade=0&blink=0&gb=2&ga=0.6&gi=0&gc=16210663&bb=2&bc=0&sb=7&sa=0.7&si=0&sc=0&blb=7&ls=0&fontsize=60&num=78" quality="best" wmode="

Rafael

I´m not sure this is the kind of movie Disney should be making. I have doubts.

JelleP

I'm glad Disney is taking a risk with this movie: it's not something you'd normally think of as being a Disney-movie.
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]