sewing patterns

Started by Thaliel, May 29, 2012, 05:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thaliel

I took a sewing class last year and bought a used sewing machine in order to make myself a decnet Minnie Mouse dress
(see here if you like //http://thaliel.deviantart.com/art/Mouse-in-da-house-187833401 I wore that on the not so scary halloween party last year )

and now I am up to something more challenging.
I always put at the fact of the princesses dresses not being available in adult sizes. All the shops in DLP sell them in sizes for up to 12 year-olds. And I am definately not as tender as 12-year old, so I will never fit into them. No fair, is it not?
That is why I wpuld love to sew a princess dress that is my own size. And as I am sure I am not the first one with such an idea, I would love anyone who is smart enough to provide nice sewing patterns for any Disney Princess Dress or give some advice on making this work to come hither.
<-Plz click

Little mermaid 240

Hi
Try Simplicity 2813 it's a pattern for some of the Disney Princess dresses,  also the Disney store in the USA have adult size costumes, I saw them on the Internet not sure about ordering though :)
Hope this helps and enjoy your sewing  :D x
Little Mermaid x

Thaliel

It seems the costumes on disneystore.com are not available to ppl from outside the US, at least I could not find any while browsing. I am pretty sure something selfmade is the best way to go to for me
<-Plz click

Teacup

My advice is to look up 'cosplay'. There are dozens of us that make Disney Princess costumes and there's a wealth of information out there that could help you. If you wanted something park-standard there are those that take commissions to make costumes aswell, but the Disney cosplay community are all lovely people so if you went over to a website like cosplayisland there would undoubtedly be someone to help you get what you need.
Is there a particular costume you'd be looking for?
Previous stays
Santa Fe September 1999
Cheyenne November 2002
Sequoia Lodge September 2010
New York July 2011
Magic Circus September 2012

Thaliel

so far I have only been looking on other#s cosplays on animexx and cosplay.com . both of these have not (yet) a place to post and share patterns, tips etc
<-Plz click

SwipatronSparks

disney princess costumes.... it really depends on the princess you want to be.... heres a piccy of me and my sister last weekend as rapunzel and gizelle....

and heres one that shows off the gizelle dress a bit better =]

and one of my rapunzel.... the wig actually trailed the floor.... had to crop this one becuase there was other people in it.... ps. sorry about my less than flatttering facial expression X.x

the gizelle was made using a prom dress pattern which we added the sleeves too.... and mine was made from a gypsy dress pattern (and i should point out that i hate everything about the costume from the waist up x.X
past trips to DLRP ~2001~2001~2002~2003~2005~2005~2006~2008~2011~2013~2015/16~2016~2017~2019
DLH, SL, NPBC, Explorers, Dream Castle, Magic Circus, Kyraid,

upcoming trips....

Thaliel

I know what you mean, the Minnie dress I made is originally a 50ies style dress that my sewing teacher changed a little to look a bit more in character. I am particularly interested in Belle's or Aurora's dress, but have not really found anyzhing usable so far
<-Plz click

Teacup

Quote from: "SwipatronSparks"disney princess costumes.... it really depends on the princess you want to be.... heres a piccy of me and my sister last weekend as rapunzel and gizelle....

I thought that was you! I didn't want to be super creepy and say "are you swipatronsparks from the magicforum?", but I had a feeling. I was the Helga Sinclair cosplayer that brought you guys over to the meet. I meant to say thank you for looking after my sister (the Ariel) while I was fetching people.

Thaliel- this forum is very useful for asking people for advice and pattern suggestions: http://cosplayisland.co.uk/forum?fid=8
I'd help you myself but I've not done Aurora or Belle yet. It might be worthwhile messaging someone like Holli (one of the best Aurora and Belle cosplayers out there) to ask for her advice.

I hope that helps you.
Previous stays
Santa Fe September 1999
Cheyenne November 2002
Sequoia Lodge September 2010
New York July 2011
Magic Circus September 2012