Whatever happened to the cute outfits at Cafe Mickey?

Started by 15MagicalYears, February 15, 2011, 11:01:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

15MagicalYears

I remember reading a couple of years back about the characters in Cafe Mickey getting new outfits à la Chef Mickey's in WDW. Thinking back to our trip in June, we met the fab5 (in their usual attire) & some random gap fillers like Geppetto and Prince John. Does anyone know what happened and why they changed back?

Personally I think it looks alot better having just the fab 5 in their chef outfits, what do you think?

(I added the pictures so you had a better idea what I was talking about, they aren't mine!)

littlemermaid83

Do you mean this?

This was back in January 2008, have never seen Mickey in his Chef outfit since.

Ah can't believe my little Kyra was only 2 here.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Poppy The Monkey

Too Expensive! Everytime any character goes out in the park, Euro Disney SCA have to pay the Walt Disney company for the rights to it!   These rights are more expensive when using costumes other than their "standard" outfits!  Guest are happy just seeing the characters, saving money paying on the use of fancy outfits!

15MagicalYears

That's such a shame, as a Disney fan I think it looks alot better when the characters are in different outfits. But I understand that to an everyday guest seeing the characters in their standard outfits is fine.

Scissorsboi

I've got to admit, I didn't know that they had to pay every time a character was used. I assumed that they purchased the characters at a high fee, and then were free to use them as they wished. That's interesting, thinking about that, it's impressive really that the park has had such a push on improving the availability of characters in the parks! Especially since the 15th, and even more coming soon during MMF!

The chef outfits are very cute, but I think the actual experience of having character dining which you know will happen, along with good food is what people go for. I'm still constantly surprised that they haven't opened a Café Mickey in London yet, I think it could make a fortune!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Martyn

QuoteThat's interesting, thinking about that, it's impressive really that the park has had such a push on improving the availability of characters in the parks

You kidding right? Last month we hardly ever saw any characters just 'milling about' - which they used to do lots, especially down Main St. This was very disappointing.

As well as the removal of the character photo area from the Sequoia Lodge. Whilst its only a small thing, it was great seeing characters about, and kids going mad, on our way down to breakfast. But now its gone, we never saw that once....

Scissorsboi

Not kidding, when I was there last there were always characters around! Admittedly it was Halloween period, so they may have pushed out more of the unused characters during that time, but DLP had plenty out. WDS was a let down on Characters as always, in fact I don't think I saw any who weren't in Stars and Cars!
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

bensmum

Just back from Sequoia...the character photo area has moved along the corridor but still there.

Clara2141

I remember going about 10 years ago and there were no characters out and about - only in pre defined queues, none milling. It was peak time (summer holidays) and I remember hearing a rumour about pushy parents with no manners being the reason.

Regarding WDS, we came back last week from DLP and saw a number of characters out. Admittedly they were the ones used in SnCars but it was a good few hours before the parade. Managed to snag a photo with the Wicked Queen which made our day. We also went to the Festival Stage to see what Princess was out and found Belle in the queue section with Aurora and Prince Philip plus the Penguins from Mary Poppins milling outside of the queue. 7 year old Claire was very happy.
Sequoia Lodge - July 1997
Santa Fe - July 2001
Day Trip - Sept 2009
Cheyenne - Feb 2010

Santa Fe - Nov 2010
Santa Fe - Feb 2011

I\'ve imagined being here like this so many times before, reaching out to take your hand as the butterflies in me soar

Martyn

QuoteJust back from Sequoia...the character photo area has moved along the corridor but still there.

Oh right, where abouts was it? Is it the opposite side of the stairs now?

zanderstarz

Quote from: "Poppy The Monkey"Too Expensive! Everytime any character goes out in the park, Euro Disney SCA have to pay the Walt Disney company for the rights to it!   These rights are more expensive when using costumes other than their "standard" outfits!  Guest are happy just seeing the characters, saving money paying on the use of fancy outfits!

Oh Poppy i remember myself saying this in another topic....
~ just like we dreamed it ~