Hand Drawn Vs CGI

Started by penfold12, February 06, 2011, 10:23:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penfold12

Last year, when The Princess & the Frog was released, there was great support for the rebirth of hand drawn animation. I loved the film, and cant wait for more of the same.

However, having just got back from seeing Tangled, I was blown away by the film, the style and the attention to detail. Suddenly thinking back to TPATF, it seemed dated and kind of flat (kind of obvious given its 2d, but you get my point). Compared to Tangled it seemed below par, yet when it was released I was swept up on how great it was.

So my question is this... Is Tangled simply a better quality film, irrelevant of weather its hand drawn or cgi, or are we now so used to depth and detail, that hand drawn animation lacks in comparison? Are the big box office days for Hand Drawn animation gone?

For mr I prefer the detail of a CGI film, but there is something so special in a few lines drawn on paper that can evoke so many feelings....

dagobert

First I also like the Princess And The Frog and I'm very happy that Disney did a movie in traditional animation again. Of course Tangled is wonderful and a lot better than PATF, but I also think that it would have been great in 2D as well.

Tangled is a huge box office success for WDAS, but just because a movie makes a lot of money doesn't mean that it is good. For example most of the DreamWorks pictures are bad, that's just my opinion. I'm not a fan of this stupid humor senn in Shrek 3 and 4 or Madagascar.

The details of a CGI movie are fantastic, but on the other hand I think that hand drawn characters are more alive. I hope you know what I mean. CGI characters look like dolls. In my opinion they never showed as much emotion as the classic characters created by WDAS during the second golden age.

Unfortunately PATF is considered as a failure and so I fear that after Winnie Pooh this year, Disney will stop to produce traditional animation movies. Winnie Pooh will not make a lot of money, I just don't see a lot of adults without children and teenagers in cinemas to watch it.

The next thing is that CGI can produce 3D pictures, which means higher ticket prizes.

JelleP

I love traditional 2D animation, and I understand what you mean.
But I must say that I don't agree with the "they never showed as much emotion as the classic characters created by WDAS during the second golden age"-thing. I mean, the emotion in (for example) Toy Story 3 was amazing!
[size=120]"Most men, they\'ll tell you a story straight through. It won\'t be complicated, but it won\'t be interesting either."[/size]

[size=120]jellep.nl - twitter - youtube[/size]

Soap

You know, it's just 2 totally different worlds and styles which imho you just can't compare.
I love them both, but if done with care and alot of effort and being functional!

Last couple of years CGI and 3d are being the "thing" to do, but the art
in handdrawn animation is just more magical then CGI/3d will ever get.
Not saying that it's easy or not a great thing, it's just more artifical.
Pixar is master in it and the others? Mostly bad use of it....
Also most of the CGI and 3d is mediocare and more a gimmick then functional in (animation) movies

But money makes the world go round, so i'm afraid the handdrawn movies will
become less and less in the future and the mainstream will take no less then 3d/cgi/HD/Etc. movies :(
But PATF and Pooh give hope and when there's hope..... :thumbs:
And Tangled Disney CGI was almost a orginal classic one, so there will be HOPE in it either way  :lol:
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney