DWB pre trip report

Started by davewasbaloo, February 04, 2011, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davewasbaloo

Ok, not much time to go (hope Kmara is having a great time at DLP as we speak, I am sure she is). The weather is looking good. So far, DLP is forecast to be sunny, or some cloud in the upper teens, lower 20's. The weather in Strasbourg and Europa Park, even better in the low to mid 20's, and the Mosel is forecast to be in the mid to upper teens.

We have a funeral to go to on Thursday, lots of work and travelling, and my brother's birthday party on the Saturday, so there is a lot to get done in between. Going for three weeks with a family of four, we have had to put some thought in.

But all the money is changed, sat nav loaded with German and Belgian maps, everything booked, and all the paperwork together, and my mother in law surprised us with a fab new camera!  Fantastic, really looking forward to the trip.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

There are still threats to the trip. My kid brother is potentially going to have his legs rebuilt on the 28th april, so we may cut it short, and there is an outbreak of chicken pox at the kids' school. fingers crossed everything can still go to plan.

6 more sleeps. What Mikey doesn't know, is 2 weeks after we get back, we will spend the weekend at Legoland for his birthday!

Malin

Dave I was unaware you were visiting Disneyland Paris so soon. Hope you have a great trip and I hope you will be filling us in on how the Magical Moments Festival was such crap.

I am especially looking forward to finding out how the rest of your journey to Europe goes. Your itinerary sounds great. Hope the Baloo's have a great and safe trip.

davewasbaloo

Cheers James, it has been a challenge, between work, school and family. We got special permission to take the kids out of school for 2 days between the Easter hols and this stupid Royal Wedding Bank Holiday, so it seemed perfect, especially as I was able the secure some amazing points deals last year. Sadly my kid brother is due to have surgery (he will only be just 15), and it has been a difficult decision as to whether to cancel or go, but my mom reluctantly (you can tell she is not happy) has told us to go.

I have my fingers crossed it all goes ok. But yes, DLP is going to be fun of course, but as the celebration gets announced (blah), I am far more excited about the German and Belgian parts. But we will make good use of our villa, the resorts, and DLP. If DLP annoys me too much, it is easy to escape. And if we have fun (which let's face it, we usually do), we can use EMH with our DREAM passes and flop into bed not long after leaving the parks.

So yes, current thinking is this trip. Legoland in May for my Son's birthday. Maybe Chessington or Alton Towers or Wales in June for Jessie's birthday, Foo Fighters and Biffy Clyro for Sarah's Birthday, the Netherlands including De Eftling this summer, and Blackpool Illuminations/new Merlin Attractions/new Nickolodean area of Blackpool for Septmeber. I am trying to convince my wife to do Italy this Halloween/my birthday including trying out Rainbowmagicland (but she thinks I have already gone OTT). We will see what happens.

kmara

Dave: thanks for thinking of me! We indeed had a great time and it was wonderful, to see the park being refurbed and being taken care of!

I wish you a wonderful trip and hope that everything will work out allright for you to go! Enjoy your holidays (I am sure you will)!
DLP]

March 1995 - Walt Disney World Florida

MrsPirate

Have a great trip, I look forward to reading all about it.

Off Site June 1992
Santa Fe, July 2009
Cheyenne, June 2010
Newport Bay Club Admirals Floor, July 2011
Sequoia Lodge, Christmas November 2011
Sequoia Lodge, June 2012
Hotel New York, Christmas November 2012
Hotel New York, Halloween 2013
Disneyland Hotel, Christmas 2014 and Christmas 2015
Newport Bay Club Compass Club, Christmas 2016 and Christmas 2018

davewasbaloo

Thanks guys, we are looking forward to it. We still have some much to do. Funeral and Birthday parties, as well as work has made it a challenge.

Glad you had a great time Kmara, look forward to hearing more.

"See" you guys when we get back. Just 9.5 hours to go!

15MagicalYears

Sounds very exciting, hope you guys have a great time!

kmara

oh, and all the best to your brother with his surgery!

I try to post some pictures later. Can't wait to read from you!
DLP]

Samninetysix

We bumped into davewasballoo in the Studio Park, I'd clocked him the day before queueing for POC, I introduced myself and family. I like him, he's a big ol' lump and a nice guy with a lovely wife and kids. We chatted about lots of things Disney and you can tell he's passionate about the parcs (maybe that's why he's so vocal about them sometimes). Anyway, enjoy the rest of your trip Dave - have fun! :)

kmara

thanks for the news and envy you - I'd love to meet him in person one day :-)
DLP]

davewasbaloo

Cheers Sam, it was great to meet you too. I hope the girls enjoyed the rest of the trip as much as the first part. You too have a lovely family. We got back last night, and the trip report will go up in instalments.

Kmara, perhaps we will meet at Europa Park one day, we had an awesome time there, and indeed I did think of you with the water rides ;-).

anyway, trip report and pictures to follow.

davewasbaloo

The trip report will be continued over the rest of the week and next weekend. In three weeks, we covered 5 countries, just shy of 2000 miles, many cathedrals, churches, castles, roman ruins, old towns, 4 theme parks, 2 Expo areas, and several themed hotels that put Disney to shame. We are exhausted, but really enjoyed it.

Week 1 - Travel from Bedford, England to Disneyland Paris via Channel Tunnel. Many days in DLP, but also a day in Paris including a Seine Cruise, Dinner on the Seine, a walk to the Arc de Triumph and then the Louvre. some chill time on resort. OVerall DLP is improving dramatically, but there is still a long way to go, and after visiting Europa Park and Phantasialand later in the week, there are a number of things the German parks do in a more "Disney" way than DLP. When I heard of the accident on Big Thunder Mountain, I was very saddened, but not entirely surprised. Perhaps this could be a wake up call to accellerate the refurbs. But overall, we had a great time at DLP (not so much due to this year's campaign and entertainment which are poor, but the cast and refurbs are majorly improved, including some of the meals).

Week 2 - Medieval Metz on the French part of the Moselle, then a night in a Jr Suite in Holiday Inn Strasbourg (free). A day exploring the wonderful Alsatian City of Strasbourg including the trams, a cruise, the medieval and Baroque sites, as well as the European Commission and the Court of Human Rights. To me, Strasbourg was a real highlight of the trip, a real treasure.

Next three nights were at the wonderful Europa Park Hotel Colloseo (Disney should visit to learn how to do family Deluxe right). More to write up, but we fell in love with Europa Park, an amazing park. My kids prefer it to DLP, and for me, it does challenge DLP in many ways.

A day exploring Frieberg (including Trams), the world's largest cuckoo clocks, and the Black Forest. Overnight in the Crowne Plaza Heidelberg (free).

After Exploring Heidelberg, it was off for 5 nights in a 16th centiry German Weinkelter on the Mosel (note the different spelling). It as during this time we chilled, explored the wineries, Roman/Medieval/Buroque Trier - another highlight (including supposedly seeing Jesus' robe) - including Karl Marx's birthplace, travelled the Rhein, popped into Luxembourg, visited the 10-15th century Burg Elz castle, and bbqed in the winery on our wedding anniversary.

Then we moved on up to Cologne, with a night in the wonderful Chinese Themed Ling Bao at Phantasialand theme park (again, a much better hotel than any of the Disney hotels). we had a great day in the park too, more to come, but in short, full of fantastic surprises).

Then we spent the night in Brussels, exploring the Expo sites the next morning and making our way to Gent for the evening.

On the 30th April, we went to the UNESCO city of Brugges on a little canal cruise and enjoyed seeing a Michelangelo sculpture that was the only one he oversaw the installation outside of Italy. We then drove the car onto the Channel Tunnel Train and arrived home a in the early evening.

A full write up and pics to come.

davewasbaloo

Day 1 - April 10, 2011 - travel from the UK to DLP.

Sadly, not everything was finished at home and I had some work to finish off before we could leave. So Although up at 4:45 am, we didn't leave until about 7:45, an hour later than we wanted.

After a fairly uneventful journey to the Eurotunnel terminal, we were put on the next train, and we were underway.

On the way down to villa, the weather was gorgeous in the upper 70's, so we decided to have the first picnic of the year. We tried something called Olive Cake, which was interesting. But there were better things on the menu.

We arrived at the resort and the checkin was swift. After unpacking, we decided a drink was in order, so we had a Kwak and Pelforth while the kids enjoyed an apricot nectar. We played a game of giant chess, then a little shopping, dinner, bath and bed, for the next day was to be an early start at Dlp.

Pictures - car rally, Eurotunnel, and Marriott Vacation Club at DLP Golf Course:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/? ... a0493e20db

davewasbaloo

Day 2, April 11, 2011, first day at DLP:

Up early for EMH Extra Magic Hours - before opening we managed the paddy wagon (I love starting our visit in a Main Street vehicle), peter pan, dumbo, teacups (all looking great after their refurbs), buzz (not an amazing score, just in the 400,000's - still aiming for a 999,999 score) and space mountain (effects perfect except smoke and still rough).

Went on star tours (30 min queue, lots of nubes who loved it - and we still love it too in all time top 5), Capt Eo (people were chanting Micheal's name with huge applause at end - I know it is rubbish, but I still love it).

Caught the new dance train show, kids were bored, not good (though the cast put their hearts into it). Into adventureland for lunch. Dlp have been dumbing down their restaurants, but there is one we have not tried for a while where the menu recently changed. Hakuna matata was great - chicken and veal kebab with savory rice (with a lovely sauce served in a banana leaf) and the chicken tikka, while not really chicken tikka, was a lovely spicy fried chicken strips. A very welcome surprise.

As we left, we heard the African tam tams playing. Rather than their normal show, they have been relegated to playing while the jungle book or lion king characters do meet and greets. As none of us were interested in the characters, but were enjoying the music, Mikey and I were asked to sit in. It was fab!

A trip on PotC, just came out of a month long refurb. In great condition (the pirates were duelling again). However, the cat on the box, and the hairy legged pirate were missing, the swinging pirate was still. But great (first time we queued outside for it in years).

Exploring adventure isle, the restored swing bridge in great shape (looking forward to the pirate ship getting the same treatment).

Mama grabbed a free coffee on Main street and then we made our way to annette's for milk shakes and ice creams (gibson girl no longer do shakes or cones, but annette's does - scratches head).

Maintenance is much improved, and cast great.

We went shopping in the Carrefour at bailly romainvilliers picking up french foods and wine, belgian beer and other provisions for the villa. Then off to the owner welcome party for complimentary wine and canopies. Followed by cocktails - best mojito ever. Hot dogs continental style.

Then a bath and bed.

Photos:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/fbx/? ... 582862c421