DWB pre trip report

Started by davewasbaloo, February 04, 2011, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never2old

Finally got some time to read your brilliant trip report! What a great holiday with your family :)  Thank you for sharing it with us, really appreciate it!!

Plus you even got to visit Luxembourg... ;)

davewasbaloo

Thanks Never too Old. that was your influence. Not enough time to experience it properly, so we will need to come back. But it was so lovely and clean!
since 2001 (many before that)

never2old

:D

Yes, you'll have to come back, and let me know when you do!!

dagobert

N2O, since  you are from Luxemboug, what language do you speak besides Luxemboughish? French, German or both?

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "never2old":D

Yes, you'll have to come back, and let me know when you do!!

absolutely, it would be fantastic to meet after all these years!

toonarmylass

Quote from: "dagobert"N2O, since  you are from Luxemboug, what language do you speak besides Luxemboughish? French, German or both?
N2O is actually spanish!!! she just lives in luxembourg with her hubby and absolutly gorgeous daughter!!!!

dagobert

Quote from: "toonarmylass"
Quote from: "dagobert"N2O, since  you are from Luxemboug, what language do you speak besides Luxemboughish? French, German or both?
N2O is actually spanish!!! she just lives in luxembourg with her hubby and absolutly gorgeous daughter!!!!

Didn't know that. Are you her real sister? I'm asking, because of your signature. And sorry for being so curios. You don't have to answer.

never2old

Quote from: "dagobert"
Quote from: "toonarmylass"

Didn't know that. Are you her real sister? I'm asking, because of your signature. And sorry for being so curios. You don't have to answer.

She must be, but we got separated at birth  ;)

And I don't speak Luxembourgish, other than hello, goodbye and thanks... Personally I speak Spanish, French and English, and a little bit of German. Luxembourg kids learn Luxembourgish and German in school when they're little, followed by French and later English. Most people here speak 2 or 3 languages fluently!

toonarmylass

lol separated at birth but im older and not as pretty lol. but u r my sis n2o hun we both know that!!!

davewasbaloo

Quote from: "never2old"And I don't speak Luxembourgish, other than hello, goodbye and thanks... Personally I speak Spanish, French and English, and a little bit of German. Luxembourg kids learn Luxembourgish and German in school when they're little, followed by French and later English. Most people here speak 2 or 3 languages fluently!

That must be awesome, in the UK (and even worse, in the US), although languages are taught in schools, very few use them. My wife was very impressed at the Petrol station where the staff member spoke Luxembourish, French, German and English fluently!  That was superb.  =D>

dagobert

Quote from: "never2old"And I don't speak Luxembourgish, other than hello, goodbye and thanks... Personally I speak Spanish, French and English, and a little bit of German. Luxembourg kids learn Luxembourgish and German in school when they're little, followed by French and later English. Most people here speak 2 or 3 languages fluently!

Thanks for the answer. So it seems German is the most important language in Luxembourg when it is the first language kids learn.

Knowing so many languages is really cool. Here in Austria, besides German, English is mandatory in school and then you have to choose between Spanish, French or Latin. I had French four years in school, but I can only say a few sentences, at least I'm still able to read in French.

never2old

Actually, all three languages (Luxembourgish, German and French) are official languages here. Luxembourgish is quite similar to German; also, there are not many textbooks in Luxembourgish, so they use German ones in Luxembourgish classes (apparently, I don't have any direct experience of local schools).

I have to say, living somewhere like Luxembourg you really appreciate the importance of languages. I'm really jealous when I meet people who speak 5 or 6 languages! in my family I'm the one that speaks the least... To my Spanish, French and Engish, my sister can add Italian, one of my brothers speaks fluent German and quite good Luxembourgish, and the other one learnt Japanese!

My little girl is going to grow up speaking three languages (Spanish, English and French), and I'm hoping to add German to that list...