DWB pre trip report

Started by davewasbaloo, February 04, 2011, 10:11:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kmara

Wow, that sounds fantastic!!! I can almost feel your excitement through the net! Can't wait to read about the park!
DLP]

March 1995 - Walt Disney World Florida

dagobert

What a great update. The hotels look fantastic and the food looks delicious as well.
Disney relies too much on their name and good reputation, while other parks need special treatment and service to bring back guests.

Why should Germans go to DLRP and stay in hotels with lower quality and higher prices when they have great parks, like Phantasialand or Europa Park, with wonderfully themed hotels with a better price-performance ratio in front of their doors?

davewasbaloo

Thanks guys. Now I must be honest, I am a Disney vet as you guys know, so I tend to notice these things perhaps more than fairly new DLP visitors. But DLP used to be much better in their entertainment and service levels, and I want DLP to be the best.

These parks do have better hotels and management, and better shows. For folks that like thrills, there are some first rate options. However there still are not the likes of a quality Big Thunder (mind you DLP has not had that for a while either), Phantom Manor or Pirates of the Caribbean.  These parks still fall a little short in those departments, as well as DLP being very well thought through. So I can still see a lot of people going "It's not Disney, so I am not interested". Look at the number of regular posters who have not bothered to comment on this thread.

Also, I have come to the conclusion there is some fear factor. Because of the Disney name, the English speaking contingent have some comfort in expecting to have their linguistic needs catered to. On other boards, or indeed people have e-mailed me, asking about how much English is used in these two parks. I have been honest and said there are some english speakers, the menus at table service restaurants are available in English, and the main documentation at the hotels too. But that is not enough for some. That said, my wife and children speak no German and had a great time. And we look forward to going to Japan and TDL/TDS one day, so clearly we are not too worried if somewhere does not speak our language. But many are. I know som Brits who refuse to go to DLP and have never been, but continue to go to WDW and love the MK (the worst of the 5 in the world), when we finally get down to it, they admit they do not like France or are concerned because they do not speak French.

It is interesting. More updates to come as Facebook allows. It is playing up.
since 2001 (many before that)

davewasbaloo

Here we go guys, here is the day in Phantasialand:

After the amazing night, we decided as long as it was not pouring down, we would go into the park.

When we awoke, the sky was a little grey, but we decided to chance it. I am so glad we did.

The breakfast spread was amasing, the kids fell in love with the dragons, and we really enjoyed our day in the park (details in the photo commentary). the highlights were the internationally award winning magic show (worth the price of admission itself), the very best mine train coaster I have experienced, the best mad house, some very solid dark rides, and lots of entertainment everywhere, as well as good and affordable food.

At the end of the day there was a terrific show that brings all the Dragons and entertainers together for a show down (beating most of what Disney has been putting out recently in the US and Europe). It was really great, followed by a good Mexican taking advantage of the extended hours announced that afternoon. There are plenty of amazing thrills for those that seek them, but with only one day, we concentrated on what we could do as a family

We then headed off to Brussels to spend a free night (thanks to points) in the Holiday Inn. They upgraded us to a full suite with a kitchen!  Sweet.

We really had a great day, but sadly the holiday would come to a close 48 hours later.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... d15c266196

Just Brussels, Gent and Brugges to go... :-(

dagobert

Thanks for another fantastic update. The food looks great. I'm so glad that you are taking pictures of your meals, too.

The park looks great, but I don't understand why that should be the best mine coaster. It's just a bare steel coaster with a themed surrounding. Judging from the pictures, BTM in Paris looks a lot better.

The water ride looks cool. DLRP should also build such a ride. In Germany the weather is as bad as in France and Kali River Rapids at WDW was a lot of fun. I'm also happy with Splash Mountain themed to the Wild West instead of Song of the South. It would fit better into our Frontierland.

Can't wait for the rest of your trip report.

davewasbaloo

The picture is not the best one, it is showing you maybe a quarter of the mine (remember Expedition Everest also has areas of just track). It is not the best for looks, Big Thunder still wins, with the mine with the dragon in Europa PArk coming second. this does have sections going through the mine too.

where this wins is as a roller coaster, it is wild, fast and fun. And is the most amazing to ride!!!! Really, It is wild! And I mean that in a good way.

for themed environments within a park, DLP still wins. But for entertainment, maintenance, hotels, food value etc. the German parks kick EDL SCA's butt.

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"for themed environments within a park, DLP still wins. But for entertainment, maintenance, hotels, food value etc. the German parks kick EDL SCA's butt.

Hopefully one day DLRP will the best resort in every aspect, and not just theming, in Europe again. The entertainment in Paris is really bad. I'm so disappointed by Disney how they messed up the parade with the stops, or the Central Plaza Stage show. And don't get me started on the food and the hotels.

Is the mine ride a gravity coaster or a launch coaster? Isn't the Black Mamba in Phantasialand?

davewasbaloo

It is a gravity coaster, and it is wild. Really. If it had launch and loops, it would be wilder than RNR Coaster or Space Mountain.

Yes, Black Mamba is there (one of my pics shows the entrance, the hotel ones show it in action). It looked great, but as the kids were too short, and we were there for one day, we skipped the ones we could not do as a family - Black Mamba, Mystery Castle, River Quest, Talocan etc.

dagobert

I have just seem Black Mamba on your pictures. I must have overlooked the pictures.

What park offers the better rides in terms of theming, thrills, dark rides, family rides? Which park did you enjoy the most?

davewasbaloo

I am assuming you are referring to the German parks here? That in some ways is a difficult call as I think the dark rides and the magic show (awesome, just awesome) at Phantasialand are hard to beat (also the cast were more friendly). It is well themed, but it is actually quite small.

But overall Europa Park wins. It is huge and something for everyone. If you wanted to do everything it is a 3 day experience really, and all the shows are first rate. A lot of the dark rides are weaker than Phantasialand's in execution, but there are some cute ideas, and Pirates in Batavia and Geister Schloss are very good.The coasters are great. And there is much more to explore at EP.

Overall, if you had to choose one, EP wins. But I do like PL, and recommend it as well. They are all better than any and all the parks we have in the UK IMHO. And I asked my kids again yesterday, if they could return to a park (including the Disney parks), which one would they choose. They said EP.

dagobert

Yes I was referring to the German parks. Thanks for answering. I was asking, because we have just decided to cancel our trip to DLRP in September and will save the money for Europa Park. Phantasialand is a bit too far away just to go to the park, but Europa Park is on our route to Paris and so we may combine the two resorts next year.

davewasbaloo

I'd be inclined to stay at EP as long as you can really. Shame you will skip PL. Personally, if next year was not the 20th, I'd skip DLP and do the two German Parks.

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I'd be inclined to stay at EP as long as you can really. Shame you will skip PL. Personally, if next year was not the 20th, I'd skip DLP and do the two German Parks.

PL is just too far away, but if we are going to that region one day, of course we will visit PL. My passion for Disney is too strong to skip it next year as well and I really hope that Disney will come up with something great for the 20th birthday and I want to see the refurbished park. Since we really enjoyed the 15th birthday year, I haven't lost my hopes for next year. But I don't bother cancelling this year, due to all the refurbs and the bad entertainment, especially the messed up parade. Actually that was the reason why my girlfriend was okay with the decission to cancel.

davewasbaloo

You could easily spend two days in Phantasialand.  If next year were not the 20th and we didn't have the villa on the DLP golf course, I could now see us skipping DLP (and we have much further to travel to the German parks than you).

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"You could easily spend two days in Phantasialand.  If next year were not the 20th and we didn't have the villa on the DLP golf course, I could now see us skipping DLP (and we have much further to travel to the German parks than you).

That's true, but you combined PL with other great places. If we go there, we will do the same.