never2old's Christmas trip (5-8 November) - Finished!

Started by never2old, November 10, 2010, 11:37:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never2old

So I'm back!

Had a great time in Disneyland (full report and pictures coming soon...), wish I could still be there. I have to say, weather was particularly horrible (lots of rain, and Monday was terrible!! Very cold and very very wet) But even though the weather did get in the way sometimes (we couldn't explore Adventure Isle, for example), we still had a great time.

We were there with my sister in law, her husband and their two daughers (it was their first visit), and I think they had a great time!

I'm uploading some pictures from Friday's bonfire, so I'll start with that soon....

lauramumof3

fab cant wait!
Been to DLP many times when I was little and now with my own children. First time 1992 and th last time was 2012! Going in  November 2017, so exited cant wait :-)

never2old

So here I go!

Originally, we were going to stay in Disneyland (in the Hotel New York) from Saturday to Monday; my sister in law and family would join us there. For their first visit to DLP they wanted to see Christmas! So we all booked for those dates; then when I saw they had the bonfire fireworks on the Monday night, I convinced by husband to stay one extra night, to finally see them (and make the most of our stay in Disneyland, since with the baby coming in a few months, we will not be going back for some time!) And then finally, a couple of weeks ago, we decided to drive there already on the Friday night, so that Saturday morning we could start with Buzz Lightyear instead of a 3 hour drive... So we booked a night in the Ibis in Val d'Europe.

Friday we left work a bit early and drove down to Paris, and made it to the Disney Village around 8pm... And since we were there, we decided to stay and see the show... Which worked out great, because as you may know, the weather on Monday was so bad that the fireworks were cancelled!

We got to the lake around 8:15, by then it was already quite busy, but we managed to find a decent spot by the Hotel New York. I knew that the view was better from the Sequoia, but it looked quite packed!

My dear hubby

We didn't have long to wait before the show started. First there was the part with Mickey, coming in a boat from the Newport Bay up towards the Hotel New York; the music was great, but to be honest, MIckey wasn't moving very fast, and for most of the time, all you could see was a little red thing in the distance... At the same time there were some flames  (the bonfire bit) coming from the lake, and Mickey seemed to be directing them... There was also a laser show, but the view from where we were was not the best... Still, it was enjoyable! There was also a very cool effect, with a couple of circles moving in and out of each other, it was very hypnotic, and looked great!!

That was followed by the fireworks show, which we enjoyed very much. The music was... different, I would say  ;)  but it went well with the fireworks. There were also  coloured flames coming out from the lake, also in rythm with the music. Overall, although it was not as magical as for example the Enchanted Fireworks (but the Castle makes for a much nicer background than the Newport Bay....), it was a fun show, and we were both glad we got to see it!

Here are some pictures, not great I confess, but they give you an idea... I also did a little bit of filming (about 3 minutes worth, really not much, but I didn't want to spend my time filming or taking pictures, I wanted to enjoy the show!!), I'll post that a bit later.

After the show, we left Disney Village and went to the Ibis for the night! The hotel by the way is not bad, the room was very comfortable, and the restaurant quite decent. Similar to any other Ibis, really.

To be continued soon!

never2old

Here's the quick video I made:

[youtube:12gtds57]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsSGHigks1A[/youtube:12gtds57]

As I said, I didn't want to spend my time filming, so it's not very good... But at least it gives you an idea of what the fireworks were like, and the music.

dagobert

Great start with the trip report, n2o. I have never seen the Bonfire, so thanks for the pictures. It looks really great.

Can't wait for the rest!!

norhel

Great pics and report so far!
4 trips to DLP, 3 to WDW, 1 to Disneyland California

dawnfletch

Hi
Welcome home
Great trip report so far, can't wait to read the rest & see more photos.
We go on Sunday & staying in Hotel New York so looking forward to see what you thought of the hotel.
At the hotel did you have to say a time for breakfast? & is there still towels to use at the swimming pool?
I'm going to write a trip report each night we are there. So I can put it on here.

1997 Hotel Santa Fe
1998 WDW
2000 WDW
2001 Hotel Santa Fe
2004 WDW
2005 WDW Honeymoon
2006 WDW
2008 WDW
2009 Hotel Explorers
2010 Hotel New York

never2old

Thank you all for your comments  :D  

Quote from: "dawnfletch"Hi
Welcome home
Great trip report so far, can't wait to read the rest & see more photos.
We go on Sunday & staying in Hotel New York so looking forward to see what you thought of the hotel.
At the hotel did you have to say a time for breakfast? & is there still towels to use at the swimming pool?
I'm going to write a trip report each night we are there. So I can put it on here.

We love the HYN, this was our 4th stay this year! The rooms are quite big, the bar is probably the best in the resort, the service is great, and they have the best orange juice for breakfast  :D  This time they did ask us to choose breakfast times (but the hotel seemed quite busy, particularly on Saturday, with people from the press event), but it's not always like that. And they don't seem to be too fusy, on the last day we went for breakfast about 2 hours after our allocated time, and they didn't say anything...

I'm uploading the next set of pictures, so I hope to continue later tonight or tomorrow!

ed-uk

We love the hotel NY, too. Last week when we stayed there, they gave us a room on the second floor with a view of Lake Disney,  we hadn't asked for a lake side view so I was very pleased. Could of watched the fireworks from our room if we had wanted to. The hotel bar is very comfortable, my favourite. We spent a few evenings in there trying the cocktails. I got my souvenir blue glowing ice cube from my blue cocktail drink.  Breakfast was also very comfortable in the Manhattan Restaurant. I always went for the eggs, sausages and bacon etc etc. Thank you for your trip report. Interested to read your views of Bonfire night. I think your pictures of the fireworks have come out well, and your picture of mickey in the boat not blurred like mine.
Ed & David

Laura678

Can't wait to read the rest of your report never2old!

Quote from: "ed-uk"We love the hotel NY, too. Last week when we stayed there, they gave us a room on the second floor with a view of Lake Disney,  we hadn't asked for a lake side view so I was very pleased. Could of watched the fireworks from our room if we had wanted to. The hotel bar is very comfortable, my favourite. We spent a few evenings in there trying the cocktails. I got my souvenir blue glowing ice cube from my blue cocktail drink.  Breakfast was also very comfortable in the Manhattan Restaurant. I always went for the eggs, sausages and bacon etc etc. Thank you for your trip report. Interested to read your views of Bonfire night. I think your pictures of the fireworks have come out well, and your picture of mickey in the boat not blurred like mine.

Mmmm the glowtini cocktail! My favourite in the resort! I love the bar in HNY.
[size=150]All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them - Walt Disney[/size]

never2old

With a bit of a delay, here's the next chapter!

Saturday morning we got up early and a bit before 8am we were checking in into the Hotel New York, which was all ready for Christmas!

Room was not yet ready, so we left our bags, got our park tickets, and headed straight to Disneyland!

And there to welcome us home, the big Christmas tree! (and the beautiful Castle behind it!). Notice also the horrible grey skies... At least it wasn't raining (yet...  :roll: )

Home sweet home  :D

First stop City Hall!

We needed to book a few restaurants (including lunch on Sunday at Cafe Mickey  :D/ ), and I got my easy access card, which other than listing the (very very) few rides I could do being pregnant, would allow us to reduce the time spent in queues (at the end I only used it once in the three days!)

After that we headed straight into Discoveryland, for a few goes on Buzz... My hubby loves that ride (and once more he got the maximum score, he was quite pleased with himself. My score... not so good. I blame the pregnancy hormones  ;) ) I love it when you can walk pretty much straight into the ride, though, this is definitely the ride to do a few times in a row!

After that, we went to see the latest addition to Discoveryland:

I love these! When I first heard about them I thought they would stand out too much and feel out of place, but they really don't, and they're so well done! Really beautiful.

On our way to Frontierland and Phantom Manor (our next ride), we stopped by the Castle, to admire for the first time the new decorations by the stage there.

I thought they were really cute! The lights change colour (by night it looks really beautiful), and with the snow and the little trees... Very nice.

By now, the rain was starting... Just a few drops for now, but there they were. Enough to be annoying! So we continued towards Phantom Manor

We went pretty much straight in, I don't think I've ever been there with so few people, going into the portraits room there were maybe 20 of us! Spooky... And great ride, of course. I wish there few more rides like this in the park!!

By now it was close to 9:30, and Cris wanted to head to the Studios and have a go (if possible) in the new Toy Story Playland rides. But since I was feeling a bit hungry, we decided to stop in the Salon Mickey first, and we headed that way, via the Discovery Arcade to protect us from the incoming crowds and rain... And have a peak in the shops along the way!

Spiderman merchandise!

When we arrived to Salon Mickey a group of people were just leaving, and we ended up having the place to ourselves! We each took a chocolate chip cookie (yummy), and sat down to enjoy it. We both really like this place!

To be continued!

Aveen2008

Great trip report so far! The video reminds me of when I went to the bonfire night in 2007 ( i think hehe)....the music was odd then too, although they did play a bit from pirates of the caribbean and the hunchback of notre dame which I loved!

The new decorations beside the stage look lovely, especially the little blue birds!

I am horrified to see spiderman merchandise in disneyland but at the same time not surprised now they own it but it just seems soooooooo wrong! :(

cant wait to hear more about your trip!!:)
Luv Aveen xoxo

kelly.dylan

Great report and photos so far :D Love all the christmas decorations, makes me so excited for our trip!
I agree with Aveen on the Spiderman merchandise, we noticed it at Halloween and thought it looked really out of place :(
Looking forward to reading the rest of your report x
September 2007-Cheyenne
March 2009-Santa Fe
January 2010-Cheyenne
October 2010-Hotel New York
December 2010-Cheyenne
February 2011-Disneyland Hotel
October 2011-Newport Bay
December 2011-Santa Fe
August 2012-Offsite
October 2012-Explorers Hotel
December 2012-Sequoia Lodge
May 2013-Kyriad
October 2013-Kyriad
December 2013-Dream Castle
October 2014-WDW Saratoga Springs[/color]

ed-uk

Love the report - we were in Salon Mickey as you arrived.  When we got there, for the same reason as you to get out of the rain hoping it would stop, at first there was no one else in so we had some time on our own but this did not last long.  From your picture you sat at the same table we did!
Ed & David

deisy

Good start Never2old ...  :thumbs:

The Saloon Mickey is wonderful, I love it and the park at Christmas, is unforgettable.