Will Duffy The Disney Bear Come To DLRP

Started by dagobert, October 26, 2010, 10:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoefromSingapore

Quote from: "penfold12"Its a case of each to their own, and everybody has different opinions. But for me, its too much of a marketing ploy, without imagination.

I completely agree.....I find the character of Duffy to be really rather uninspired. He also looks rather bland, generic especially compared to other characters found in Disney Parks...heck the who Disney Universe. I understand he is just a Teddy Bear but he just doesn't seem to fit in with the Disney family look wise.

I think that the audience plays a big part in how successful he is. The Hello Kitty Syndrome that exists in some parts of Asia is very likely the reason that its been so popular over here. But I think possibly the European audience will react very differently. Its just a cultural thing.
That weird host on Dedicated to Disneyland Paris PODCAST!

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

I only read an article about Duffy for the first time this morning and how it wasn't do well in the US, uncanny!

I don't like it at all - it's one of the dullest teddy bears I've ever seen, are we sure it was designed by Disney? I'd rather they fill the shelves with some original merchandise in place of the park wide generic merchandise that has taken over, we certainly don't need a further drop in the quality of merchandise.

If they want to introduce something new then maybe they could try something unique to DLP and European in influence.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

dagobert

Quote from: "PirateSteve"I only read an article about Duffy for the first time this morning and how it wasn't do well in the US, uncanny!

I don't like it at all - it's one of the dullest teddy bears I've ever seen, are we sure it was designed by Disney? I'd rather they fill the shelves with some original merchandise in place of the park ride generic merchandise that has taken over, we certainly don't need a further drop in the quality of merchandise.

If they want to introduce something new then maybe they could try something unique to DLP and European in influence.

I would love to see some unique merchandise. Friends who go to DLRP since 1992 always tell me how great the merchandise was in the 90ies. Many members here say the same. Hopefully Disney will bring a broader diversity of merchandise to the parks again. At the moment the merchandise is a big disappointment. It is a shame that Marvel merchandise is available in the Disneyland park.

I have to admit that I like how the bear looks, although I would never buy it for me, but I can imagine that children would like him. Nevertheless the backstory is bad and he shouldn't be considered as a character. I have seen pictures where people made photos with him. It doesn't make any sense to meet him, because he is a stuffed animal and Mickey's Teddy Bear. So why is Duffy "alive" and interacts with people???

Aveen2008

I am confused as I thought duffy aka the mickey bear started out in the states :? I have 2 (from ebay and a lucky find at a car boot sale!) and both have WDW/DLC on them...heres my pin trading mickey bear (he cost me over £60)...

sorry not the best picture of him
Luv Aveen xoxo

ford prefect

Duffy has already been in Paris.  I purchased a Mickey's Bear as he was then in 2004 after seeing them in Florida in February 2004

I am trying to find a photo of me and Mickey's bear on Eurostar
enjoy yourself, it\'s later than you think!

Scissorsboi

I really hope Duffy doesn't come over, there is already an abundance of plush toys in Paris, and they are often quite nicely styled to match the rides in the park. Duffy is very generic, and plain compared to these, the only place I see him fitting is Newport Bay to match his 'travelling' story (in a nice nautical costume).

Having him as a character in parks is ridiculous. He is taller than Mickey (despite being his toy), and just looks like Teddy who used to reside in Alton Towers Hotel. Cheap, non-Disney character. There's a difference between seeing Pumpkinmen in the parks and Duffy, as Pumpkinmen fit an overall seasonal theme, yet Duffy is just a marketing ploy, very obvious, and I see parents seeing through this. Why would you buy a generic Disney bear when you could buy his owner, Mickey?

Maybe I just don't get it..
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

Aveen2008

I think he's nice because of the "hidden mickeys" on him - like the pattern on his face is a mickey head and on his feet.  I think in the USA you can buy clothes and stuff for him ( a bit like a build a bear) which I think is good, like you could perhaps buy a toy story t-shirt for him or princesses etc.

I agree there is already many plushes in DLRP, it seems to be their biggest item! I don't mind if he doesn't come to paris but I would like it if he had accessories and stuff lol. What can I say I am a sucker for cute toys and anything disney! ;)
Luv Aveen xoxo

Timbo

How is the back story with him told to guests , is it just the tag on his hand that explains who he is ? I think people would struggle to make an emotional connection to him unless he has been in a film or ride . People like to buy the merchandise because they have been on a park ride or seen a film and want to take a bit of that magic home with them , which is why a lot of  the shops  are just after the rides , of course ! And they get you in that rush after the thrill of the attraction . He is really a cute teddy they are desperate to sell !