Discoverylands current Appearance & Environment.

Started by danwills, January 31, 2008, 08:17:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danwills

Does anyone else think that Discoveryland has become a bit of a mishmash? I am not commenting on the actual attractions but the environment and design of the land.

Buzz, Lion King, Pizza Planet, the tacky looking building of HISTA and Star Tours & its location away from the centre.

What happened to the main theme? Will the design problems be corrected anytime in the near future?

penfold12

Totaly agree! I always thought that the idea of the great visionaries was to prevent the land from dating. By themeing it around a vision of the future from past icons it would stand the test of time better than Tomorrowland in the other parks. Now its just a mess. Half classic theming, and then just......

Remco K.

What botters me most is the exterior of Buzz Laser Blast.

It's not that the new colour scheme is bad, just that the old scheme looked so much better in my opinion. Also the entire outdoor queue looks out of place. Again, it's not all that ugly, but just don't fit here.

As for the other new colour schemes, the blue spiles on the roof of Space Mountain look as good as the torqoise ones.

The colours on Videopolis were just slightly altered, they look good the way they are now.

The green floor of Discoveryland seemed strange at first, but I hardly notice it nowadays.

Kristof

Discoveryland is similar to the other lands in Disneyland Park where in Adventureland you have parts that represent Asia, Africa, etc.  In Discoveryland, you have (had) the first part about the Visionaires of the past, to the right (Autopia) the visionaires of the 50's (Walt) and in the back the modern visionaires (George Lucas and Francis Ford Coppola with Captain EO, now HISTA).  

The Pizza Planet entrance looks absolutely fabulous compared to the entrance of Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast, story wise.  It uses the same style pillars as you would find throughout Discoveryland.

The Legend of the Lion King is a show performed on Videopolis stage, I don't think there's anything wrong with that.   There have been several non-Discoveryland related productions throughout the years there.  I do agree when they had those hideous animals throughout the land.

The only thing that bothers me is the location of Buzz Lightyear Laserblast.  It should have been placed at the back of Discoveryland with the modern visionaires.  But what can a fanboy like me do about this...  :)

danwills

The main issue i have is that the area feels unintegrated as it looks like parts have been added without much thought to the overall design & theme.

In my opinion the HISTA / Star Tours building just looks like a warehouse, this type of building is common in other parks especially in the UK were i have worked, but should not be present at a disney site where you are meant to be transported to a different world. I wonder if improvements to the area are in their to-do list  to meet the high standards elsewhere.

Discoveryland has so much potential to be amazing though, submarine voyage in the future anyone?

Remco K.

Quote from: "danwills"In my opinion the HISTA / Star Tours building just looks like a warehouse, this type of building is common in other parks especially in the UK were i have worked, but should not be present at a disney site
Those buildings have been there from the beginning and were constructed when Tim Delaney was the responsible supervising Imagineer for Discoveryland.

So, basically those buildings were constructed like this on purpase, although it wouldn't surprise me as limited budgets played a small role in all of this. With a larger budget, Delaney probably would've done things differently. Though this goes for everything at the Disney resorts.