Year of discovery??

Started by Kristof, March 24, 2005, 07:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristof

What happened to this?

Patrick

Obviously dissoppeared as fast it took to get rid of decent posters :lol: .  Oh you never know it might come back if Discoveryland actually comes back to life in the summer with SM M2 :wink: .

Anthony

I don't think they ever were planning a big celebration for it, I think it's a just a phrase that appeared as we heard more about the new attractions.  Basically, the (unofficial) "Year of Discovery" includes:

- SM:M2
- Star Tours Astroport re-working
- Incredibles in WDS
- PanoraMagique
- IMAX

And, like last year's "Year of the Lion King", it's not an official celebration but more a term to be used to describe the focus and feel of the year.  Last year they went crazy over TLK, this year they're gonna focus on space-themed things.

So the idea didn't really go anywhere at all, it was just never an official celebration to start with.  :wink:

Jorien

It would have been nice if they had a year of discovery this year. Because this year it's hundred years ago that Jules Vernes died. Did you know that?
Yesterday there was a special about him on TV5. I didn't watch it, because i can't understand anything they are saying. But i read it in the tvguide.

Jorien  :D

Patrick

Damn I wish someone had posted that a Verne's special was on TV5 I would have watched it and never understood just love Verne's and his ideas :D .  Well I may have understood a couple of words and phrases :lol: .  Yes I completely forgot that it was 100 years since Verne's died.

Jorien

I was planning to put it on the forum (no i didn't forget it! Someone here understands what this is about  :wink: )
But i was already too late, i saw it at around 8.30. And it was on at 7.30 till 8.00. So why putting it on the net then, hey?  :P

Jorien  :D

Anthony

Quote from: "Jorien"But i was already too late, i saw it at around 8.30. And it was on at 7.30 till 8.00. So why putting it on the net then, hey?  :P

Uhm... so we can use the Timekeeper's time machine and go back in time of course!  Oh wait... where is that thing now? *starts crying*

Wouldn't it be a nice idea for DLRP to do some kind of outdoor exhibition about Jules verne on the construction walls for Buzz?  It could be a bit like those photos they have on the light poles in WDS (and were meant to stay for 3 months but have stayed for nearly 3 years), and would bring a bit more Verne to Discoveryland - and make those fences look less bad than they will do when everyone's flooding in for SM:M2 and LOTLK this summer...

Patrick

Yeah I agree put a nice Jules Verne display up on the boards, how cool would that look :D .  I think this summer they should even go to funny extreme of having a walkabout Jules Verne since after all 100 years of him being dead it would be nice, shame they could not have waited just 1 more year with Le Visionarium and Space Mountain De La Terre A La Lune or they could have had some type of cool Verne's festival in Discoveryland this year.

flor

or at least they can send out the Jules Verne character out!!!! ;-)

Kristof

QuoteI don't think they ever were planning a big celebration for it

The Year of Discovery was actually announced in a press release somewhere last year I believe.  There were going to be special activities about Space in all the Disney hotels, and more things like that...  :?

Anthony

Quote from: "raptor1982"
QuoteI don't think they ever were planning a big celebration for it

The Year of Discovery was actually announced in a press release somewhere last year I believe.  There were going to be special activities about Space in all the Disney hotels, and more things like that...  :?

Yeah, I remember now - it was on the http://www.drppartners.com website, which for a few weeks was letting just anybody in - they obviously hadn't figured the password system out!  What it said on there was:

Space Mountain: Mission II

* As of April 9th, 2005
* Focus on an iconic attraction of the Disneyland® Park
* Launch of Space Mountain : Mission II
* Meet & great with the Disney Characters
* New Star Tour post show
* "The Incredibles" characters in the Walt Disney® Studios

So it didn't really mention "The Year of Discovery" at all - us annoying fans just kinda made it up.  :D  I suppose it still will be the Year of Discovery, but only unofficially - there'll be SM:M2, activities, characters, Panoramagique, IMAX, etc...  Enough to warrant an unofficial title, but DLRP don't seem to do that "Year of..." thing like they used to anymore.  I suppose it's hard to do it now because of WDS - though they could have spruced up Armageddon a bit and got it involved aswell.  :wink:

Kristof

Sorry Baloo, but there was really a press release which announced the year of discovery!  Silly me forgot to save it I guess.  I'll try to track it down!

Sweet Laker

Quote from: "Baloo"- Star Tours Astroport re-working
-

Is this the Arcade hall after you have left Star Tours?

If so, what a shame, a BIG shame. There are some video games you can find in any arcade. You have to pay for them and it looks like they just planted a few of those things there to fill the space. I prefer it how it was in the past. With the machines that could read your hand and the things which talked to you and which you could talk to. Luckily they didn't remove everything and there is still one robot left, but what a shame, they are really messing Discoveryland up.

Visionarium gone, an Arcade hall instead of a series of computers which gave you really the idea to be in the future.... What is Discoveryland going to look like in a few years... I dont know, but i am holding my breath...