Disabilities at Disney page

Started by Silden, January 06, 2018, 02:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silden

You need to update the Disabilities at Disney page at: http://www.dlpguide.com/guidebook/practical/disabilities/

It starts with: The magic of Disney should be available everyone - whatever nationality, old or young, big or small - it's all about having a good time together, with no-one being left out.  With this in mind, it's no surprise that the resort, arguably Disney's most modern, is by far one of the friendliest and most welcoming places to visit for guests with disabilities.

Obviously written by someone who doesn't have a disability. DLP does NOT allow disabled companions, they only allow companions if they have no disabilities at all. As a result it is NOT the friendliest and most welcoming places to visit for guests with disabilities. WDW in Florida and DLC are very accommodating, but not DLP. In the words of a senior manager at the Florida call centre of the Walt Disney Travel Company, reciting words she got from Disney London after they asked the legal team in Paris for confirmation, they are "bamboozled" by the bizarre admission policy at DLP.

In summary, if you are disabled, you CAN'T be a companion to another disabled visitor at DLP, as this is expressly forbidden. I trust you will therefore update that introduction to clarify DLP's admission policy on disabled guests and their companions.

HildeKitten

I can confrim this is true.
A friend and I were forbidden to go on Big Thunder Mountain at one point because we both had disability cards. We had to have a non disabled companion.
We were even told we couldn't go in any regular queues anywhere because we had disability passes.
Frankly, if I see a 5 minute queue, I'll just do the regular one, but technically it's not even allowed.
So yeah, there you go.

I wouldn't go as far as to say that DLP is disability friendly though. Sure, some CM's haven't been the friendliest, kindest or most cooperative (understatement) when faced with a guest carrying a disability pass, but I must say that without their disability policy, I wouldn't be able to go and enjoy the parks quite as much.
Generally speaking, the system isn't all that bad I feel, sure, there's some glitches, but it's not like it's horrible at all. At least not in my personal experience.

I've never been to any of the Chinese or US parks so I can't compare to those, but compared to all other EU themeparks I've been to, DLP is doing an outstanding job (which says a lot about Belgian themeparks really, but there you go).