Magical day tour of Paris?

Started by DisneyGagaChick, February 10, 2016, 08:28:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DisneyGagaChick

Hi there everyone!

Going to the happiest place on earth in FIVE DAYS!

We have been talking about going to Paris for the day, but my mum is very weary about just us four going into Paris alone so she would much rather prefer to have a guided tour. I have had a look on the site and found the Magical day tour of Paris where you can either pick from the Louvre Museum or do the Eiffel Tower & Seine River cruise.

But there are no prices online- do I have to ring up the Reservations centre? We are staying in the Empire State Club HNY so could we book it at the reception desk?

I know we have left it too late, but oh well!

stifle

You can book with the concierge. The tours are not cheap – I recall them being around €80 per guest when I inquired once. Appreciate that your mum's a bit nervous, but it really isn't worth that much. My parents-in-law did go and found out the tour they were on was not guided all day, just a coach dropped them into Paris and they were handed tickets to a commercial hop-on hop-off bus and let on their way.

You can get an unlimited day ticket for the train for €16.60 per person; Louvre admission is €15 and Eiffel Tower tickets start at €7. That's got to be better value.

rebecca20

I have done both tour options available on the DLP site.

My June trip was the properly 'guided one' with the eiffel tour included and a boat trip. This was a good way to see Paris for the first time but we were on a fully Spanish coach meaning it was slightly annoying that all the commentary was in a different language so we basically learnt 0, coupled with the fact we didn't get a seat upstairs it was somewhat a waste (headphones didn't work for translations). This was done with my Mum so there were just two of us.

The second time was the hop-on hop-off trip and although we didn't 'do' the sights we saw much more and I preferred this option. If you decided to go up the eiffel tower etc you wouldn't fit much in but we managed to hop-on off at virtually every stop and had time spare. This was done with one friend and we are both in our early 20s.

If I were to go again I would probably RER it to the centre and buy hop-on tickets as this is the most cost effective and easy way to fact find and see the sights.

Regarding your Mum being worried - unless she is thinking about terror attacks which could happen anywhere, there's nothing to worry about at all, both times we have been two females and nothing bad has happened!

If you want any further info or help let me know  :)
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: stifle on February 10, 2016, 08:44:50 PM
You can book with the concierge. The tours are not cheap – I recall them being around €80 per guest when I inquired once. Appreciate that your mum's a bit nervous, but it really isn't worth that much. My parents-in-law did go and found out the tour they were on was not guided all day, just a coach dropped them into Paris and they were handed tickets to a commercial hop-on hop-off bus and let on their way.

You can get an unlimited day ticket for the train for €16.60 per person; Louvre admission is €15 and Eiffel Tower tickets start at €7. That's got to be better value.

80 euro each?! I suppose it would be worth it for what you're doing. Where can I get the unlimited day train ticket?

Quote from: rebecca20 on February 10, 2016, 11:12:30 PM
I have done both tour options available on the DLP site.

My June trip was the properly 'guided one' with the eiffel tour included and a boat trip. This was a good way to see Paris for the first time but we were on a fully Spanish coach meaning it was slightly annoying that all the commentary was in a different language so we basically learnt 0, coupled with the fact we didn't get a seat upstairs it was somewhat a waste (headphones didn't work for translations). This was done with my Mum so there were just two of us.

The second time was the hop-on hop-off trip and although we didn't 'do' the sights we saw much more and I preferred this option. If you decided to go up the eiffel tower etc you wouldn't fit much in but we managed to hop-on off at virtually every stop and had time spare. This was done with one friend and we are both in our early 20s.

If I were to go again I would probably RER it to the centre and buy hop-on tickets as this is the most cost effective and easy way to fact find and see the sights.

Regarding your Mum being worried - unless she is thinking about terror attacks which could happen anywhere, there's nothing to worry about at all, both times we have been two females and nothing bad has happened!

If you want any further info or help let me know  :)

Ah, the second option sounds much better thanks! Which one is the hop-on, hop-off trip and how do you book it?
She isn't mostly worried about the terror attacks, she is more worried about pick pockets etc.

Thanks for your help!  :-* :-*

rebecca20

The second tour was the 'Paris Essentials Tour with Disneyland Paris - City Tour Hop-on Hop-off with Free Time to Explore' We booked online when booking the actual trip but maybe ring or email guest relations. The alternative would be to train into the centre and then get the trip from http://eng.bigbustours.com/paris/home.html.

But thats basically the trip and tour routes you do :)

Pickpockets weren't even a second thought for me tbh but at the touristy places there was a decent security presence and this was pre-terror attacks.
♥ Disneyland Paris 1996, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2011, 2015 ♥ Disney World Florida 2009 ♥ Disneyland California 2008 ♥

Next Visit: DLP March 2016.

stifle

The unlimited train ticket is sold at the RER station ticket desk and ticket machines. It's called Mobilis. Avoid the more expensive Paris Visite; although it offers reductions at some attractions it's difficult to get enough value out of it to justify the increased cost.

DisneyGagaChick

Quote from: rebecca20 on February 12, 2016, 03:25:04 PM
The second tour was the 'Paris Essentials Tour with Disneyland Paris - City Tour Hop-on Hop-off with Free Time to Explore' We booked online when booking the actual trip but maybe ring or email guest relations. The alternative would be to train into the centre and then get the trip from http://eng.bigbustours.com/paris/home.html.

But thats basically the trip and tour routes you do :)

Pickpockets weren't even a second thought for me tbh but at the touristy places there was a decent security presence and this was pre-terror attacks.

Quote from: stifle on February 12, 2016, 03:30:06 PM
The unlimited train ticket is sold at the RER station ticket desk and ticket machines. It's called Mobilis. Avoid the more expensive Paris Visite; although it offers reductions at some attractions it's difficult to get enough value out of it to justify the increased cost.

Ah great, thanks for your help!  :-*
3 days to go!!  ;D