Hiring a car & driving to dlp

Started by Warner007, October 17, 2015, 11:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warner007

Hi guys,

Any advice really.
Planning on hiring a car from airport to get to DLP, other half in total strop as doesn't want to drive, so I don't mind but my question is... Is it easy getting used to left hand drive etc....
I am under the impression it's 40ish min drive from airport.
Is it easy to navigate to?

bad-pink-tink

do you need a car for other reasons, other than going to / from Disneyland Paris? If not then in my opinion there is no need to hire a car, especially if you have never driven in France before. There are lots of transportation options.

http://magicalshuttle.co.uk/ shuttle bus direct from Charles de Gaulle airport to your Disney hotel

http://uk.voyages-sncf.com/en/  TGV train from Charles de Gaulle airport to the train station at Disney

as well as the many private hire shuttle services
When You Wish Upon A Star Dreams Can Become Reality
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyworld Florida 1992
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland California 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016,2017
♥ ♥ ♥ Disneyland Paris 2011 2013, 2016

polar vixen

If staying anywhere other than DCR they would be good options, but DCR is a self drive destination only.  Never hired a car so I can't say, don't imagine it'll be cheap though.  I'd consider if you're flying and then factoring in car hire aswell. maybe you could do something easier like eaurostar, or flight and transfers and use the money you'd be spending on car hire to upgrade your hotel instead, then you wouldn't need  a car.
if that makes sense

Warner007

Hi
Yes we're staying at Davy Crockett ranch,
We've got all prices and it's still cheaper/quicker plus DCR is under free half board.

Don't think there are any shuttles from DCR to DLP.
Thanks

Zee79

No there isnt a shuttle from DCR to DLP. Are you coming from the U.K?  is it not cheaper to self drive using the tunnel or ferry? Not Eurostar. My husband often drives abroad when he works & finds it no problem using left hand drive. Its remembering the rules of the road that can sometimes be the problem haha like going round the round about the opposite way  :)

Warner007

Hi yes coming from UK,
I can't stand the thought of traveling in the car as long as it would take, not with my boys!
Flight only 1hr 15.
Plus delays via tunnel etc are worrying

jamieclayton9

Hi Warner

Even though I have never driven to DLRP I have however driven for 100's of miles in France. I find it really easy, After the first few mile nerves lol. The only thing that catches me out every now and then is remembering to look left at roundabouts. Just take your time and you will be fine buddy :-).

In terms of hiring a car, your best bet is to check out the Car Hire Comparison Websites. I was planning on doing the same thing as you but instead opted to drive to Ebbsfleet and get the Eurostar down to DLP. The cost for a compact car on the 22nd-26th Feb from CDG Airport was just a tad over £100 on the Money supermarket comparison site. A Focus sized car was around £130.

I hope this helps a little :-)

Take Care

Slimy yet satisfying

No problem driving from cdg to dcr.
Car hire b class approx £30 per day  will fit all your kids and cases try 121 car hire or car trawler
Petrol much cheaper in france
Supermarket in Coulommiers about a 10 min drive max from dcr has massive hypermarket and petrol station that is automated for uk cards or has a booth for cash during supermarket hours.
Roads are perfect watch your speed as there are cameras
You will adapt quickly to driving "on the wrong side!"
The trickiest part is getting out of the airport...it took us three goes our first time on the wrong ring road!
No problems now tho.
1992 Honeymoon DH
1994 Oct DH, 1996 Jan DH, 1998 Oct DH, 2000 Oct DCR, 2002 Jan SL....too many babies so a big break...2010 Mar SF, 2011 Mar SF, 2013 Jan Kyriad, 2013 Apr Gite, 2013 Oct Gite + 2nts DC, 2014 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 New Year/Jan SF, 2015 Oct Gite, 2016 Jan Gite, 2016 Easter Kyriad, 2016 June Explorers, 2016/7 NY Dream Castle and Gite, 2017 Feb Cheyenne , 2017 May Dream Castle,  2017/8 NY/Jan Gite, 2018 Feb Dream Castle Hotel, 2018 Nov Dream Castle, 2019 Feb Santa Fe.

MattR

Its no big deal getting used to drive on the right (not only right as in left and right) but I would recommend to book an automatic car. It´s always a pain for me to drive right hand stick shift cars.

Warner007

thanks guys,
looking into it everyone says euro star etc is cheaper but we have 4 days at DCR including free half board and breakfast basket,
flights from London, parking our car at London
hire car and booster seats
all for 5 people under the £1500 we were planning on using and... no 3 hour drive to Disney.
ive looked on aa route planner got distance from airport to DCR and from DCR to DLP (Which is only 4 miles away)
I think im brave enough to drive it all myself, stuff the grumpy other half lol
any useful tips?

Zee79

My Mam was the grumpy other half haha going in a real strop at the mention of driving abroad, now we do it all the time, I drive the UK side & my dad drives the French side with me being navigator ie being his eyes & reminding him which way traffic is coming from but we are in a UK car, might be easier with a left hand drive. The only tips I can give is to familiarise yourself with French rules of the road. Your other half might need to help just like i do, Keep the kids occupied, we usually put Disney songs on in the car & get them to try & spot Disney signs once we pass CDG. We normally drive from the north east so car is loaded with DVDs,tablets, colouring books to keep them occupied, done this since they were really small, my nieces were 10months old when they first went.