Confused - please help

Started by Mimi Arc en ciel, September 27, 2013, 11:31:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mimi Arc en ciel

Hi,

We're going to Disney in Oct and have booked for the "plus" meal vouchers. Theres 5 of us going, 2 adults, 2 children and 1 infant

Only 2 of us have meal vouchers (2 adults and 2 children) - i've been told our 22 month old will have "free" food provided (Which is what happened last time we went when she was 10 month old)

So - having looked on dlrp website I've worked out our meal vouchers are approx 88 euros per day.

We are going for 4 days but have only picked 3 restaurants to visit so far - the travel agent has booked these.

so far we have:

Cafe Mickey - Cost for meals: 117.56 euros (so we need to pay an additional 29.56 euros)
Auberge de cendrillon - Cost for meals: 189.96 euros (So we need to pay an additional 101.96 euros)

and Restaurant des stars: buffet plus x2 coca colas: Coft os meal approx: 68.98 euros....... so what happens with the other 19.02 euros? do we get a voucher back  spend somewhere else or do we have to have drinks up to that value?

The other thing i wanted to ask is - what exactly will our 22 month old be eating?! When we went last ime she had jars of baby food as she was only a few months old (Obv. no good for her as she is fully on solids and feeding herself)

Thanks in advance

SVioletS

Hi,

Let's see if i can help you... They don't give money back, but i've read that someone was ofered a voucher back and payed for the difference. I'm not sure if this is standard policy. You can always ask for drinks or deserts (like the yogurts, and packed fruit) to add up to the difference and take them with you.

About you 22m old, when we went last time our youngest was the same age and, if we went to buffets we would just grab a plate and she ate normally. For table service restaurants I usually asked for something for myself that she could also eat and we shared. And in some meals I just ordered something extra for her and payed for it. I recall we went to some place where they ofered us those baby food jars! ahah of course she didn't eat that...

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

Mimi Arc en ciel

Surely though that with if being a buffet then everything is already paid for? So we wouldn't be able to use the vouchers in Restaurant Des Stars unless we use it on plenty of drinks - which seems a bit pointless

I was hoping they would give her pasta like they did last time. I might give the travel agent a call and see what they can find out for me

We still have x1 more day to pick a restaurant for - any suggestions?!

Thanks for the reply :)

SVioletS

If you go to a buffet and choose designated menu according with the vouchers, yes, everything is payed for!

Hmm i enjoyed Walt's and recommend it! Annete's dinner is also very nice in the village! The steakhouse in the village has great food but the service i didn't enjoy (but i think we were unlucky with the waiter).
Also i've read good reviews about Plaza Gardens and Blue Lagoon but i never tried them myself.
As for more buffet dinners you can have them in the hotels, there's also Billy Bob's in the village...
these are just ideas! :)
Check the dining forum and read some reviews!

First time ever: August 2000, one day visit!
August 2010, NewPort Bay, 5 days
October 2012, Sequoia Lodge, 5 days
April 2014, Sequoia Lodge, 6 days - Big 7th Bday Surprise for DD#1 :)
September 2015, Newport Bay 6 days - Another surprise!!!

never2old

Plaza Gardens is a great buffet, you can add it to your list (though not sure it's great value if you have the Plus vouchers, I think the buffet is cheaper than the value of the voucher. If you're going for half board, you can eat there at lunchtime and use the vouchers for a meal in the evening.

I'm not sure I understand your message, why will you have to pay extra for a meal in Cafe Mickey? They have a set menu for the meal vouchers, you shouldn't have to pay anything if you stick to that menu!

For your little one, in the buffets you can just get food for her from the buffet. We try to go to buffets with our 2 year old daughter because she has a really good appetite, and sharing a plate with her it's not a great option (she's had the children's menu in a few places, paying for it of course, and finished it all!).

gemma2806

Most, if not all table service restaurants have set menus for people on the meal vouchers to order from, so your vouchers should be for the price of those menus. You can choose to pay extra however if you want to order something else and they should just accept the face value of the vouchers to count towards the meal. Buffets are excellent value for money but on the "plus" vouchers you only really get your money's worth by eating in the table service restaurants as most buffets are less than the cost of the vouchers.

In regards to your 22 month old they will get their own plate to eat what they want in any of the buffet restaurants. I had trouble with some table service restaurants for example the Blue Lagoon would only offer my son the option of a free plate of salad or a free plate of chips and no desserts or starters! I had to buy meals for my son depending on how hungry he was. If he was hungry I would buy him a meal from the kid's menu but remember these portions are for kids up to 12 years so some restaurants give large portions and if your child isn't hungry it proves quite a waste. Remember if you've gone full board and use the counter service restaurants you will either need to share your meal with your child or order their own as they do not offer free food for under 3's here.

Best buffets in my opinion are in the hotels or Plaza Gardens Restaurant in the Disneyland Park and La Grange at Billy Bob's in Disney Village. Best Table Service Restaurants are Blue Lagoon ( but not for the free kid's meal!) and Walt's in Disneyland Park and Planet Hollywood, Annette's Diner, Rainforest Cafe, King Ludwig's Castle and Cafe Mickey in Disney Village though not all these restaurants are on the meal plan.

Hope this helps and good luck with your planning!

Mimi Arc en ciel

Thank you for the replies, apologies i havent been able to reply until now.....

The "set" menu for Cafe mickey is€38.79 for adults and €19.99 for children. Our vouchers (according to the DLRP page) are only worth €31 for adults and €13 for the children. We have gone HB - not FB so we have the excess to pay

I asked about the 10% which it states we get off but i was told that we only get that if we book the restaurant at Disney. Because we booked through the travel agent we aren't entitled to it (Not sure if that's true but that's what TA told me)

We have booked to have food at:

Auberge De Cendrillon: Set meal - Cost €189.96 (Meal Vouchers worth €88) to pay €101.96
Cafe Mickey: Set meal - Cost €117.56 (Meal Vouchers worth €88) to pay €29.56
Restaurant Des Stars: Buffet - Cost €68.98 - Meal vouchers will cover this
Plaza Garden: Buffet - Cost €79.96 - Meal vouchers will cover this

Or have i got that wrong?

Were planning on having a big breakfast in the morning, our dinners ^^ at 1pm and then we are taking snacks to have in the evening with the kids.

So if the above is right, i need at least €131.52 euros for food - need to take extra for DD in case we need to buy her a plate.

I have no idea how much spending money to take. I have £600 saved up soley to use on this trip, we want to bring back a few souveniers (Nothing major, we plan on getting a photo album, maybe some fridge magnets and 3 drinking cups for the kids) .... Do you think i need £600? More? Less?

I hate holidays lol too much stress before hand!

Thank you all so much for your replies, sorry if im being dumb  :-[

michellemumof2xx

Hi there,
                we are visiting in February for the first time. We have gone half board premium, and planning to eat our evening meals with the vouchers, as we get breakfast in our hotel, and will snack during the day.

I'm under the impression that you get to eat off a set menu with your vouchers, and have either a buffet or starter,main,dessert and 1 drink per voucher depending on where you eat. If you choose something off the set menu, you pay the difference between your food voucher, and food cost.

We haven't booked where we will eat yet, but i'm starting to think about it.

I'd like to follow your post and see what others say, as i'm not 100% if i've got it right or not, as i don't know anyone who's been and it's our first visit!

Michelle.
First trip ever HNY 15th Feb 2014
Second trip to HNY 17th Feb 2015!!!

ed-uk

I've been to DLP many times and never had vouchers, does it work out cheaper that way and can you use the vouchers in any restaurant ? i prefer to book a table in a restaurant when we get there and decide how much we want to pay and what we would like to eat. I realize that tactic wouldn't work over Christmas and New Years. We never eat in Cafe Mickey, might have to book that further in advance because it's a character meal.
But I don't see the advantage in vouchers.
Not much help i know.
Ed & David

Fluffymilly

The vouchers are great if you get them free! Other than that the main benefit is that you know that the bulk of the food has been paid for in advance and you know that you will have one proper meal each day. They are however expensive as you have to have them for every day of your stay. If you are trying to save some of the expense it can be cheaper to just eat in cheaper places on some of the days. Annettes Diner for example is lovely and if you use a meal voucher there you don't really get the full value. 

Samninetysix

Does it work out at 10% discount with the vouchers?. We've never tried them as we use APD discount in the shops at 20% and shareholders discount in the restaurants at 15% discount.

staceylc

I was always under the impression that if you ordered from the set menu you had no extra to pay.  You only pay extra if you order from the a la carte & the total comes to more than the face value.

So if you go to Cafe Mickey & order from the set menu you'll have nothing extra to pay.

We don't use the vouchers as dh doesn't like being stuck to a set menu & I'm also a shareholder so get money off anyway.

HFJohnson

Yes, with Cafe Mickey if you stick to their Plus menu then you won't have to pay anything extra. You only get a benefit from the meal vouchers if you stick to restaurants in the relevant category. Plaza Gardens and Restaurant des Stars are both in the standard category so your not getting such a good deal by using your plus vouchers in either of these. If you want to use buffets then the plus category buffets in some of the hotels might be a better option, although they aren't open for lunch.

Your TA's comment re the 10% doesn't make any sense. If you use the vouchers in the relevant category restaurant then you will make a small saving of around 10% but you will get this regardless of whether you book them via the TA or direct with Disney.