The Three Good Fairies "Out with the old, In with the new"!

Started by Disney-Me, November 07, 2011, 12:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Disney-Me

Quote from: "DutchBrit"
Quote from: "Disney-Me"Finally, I apologise if what I'm saying is harsh

Harsh, no. Daft? Umm, yes. In my opinion, of course.

Just seems like you are choosing a strange point to be drawing the "reality' line.

Also having looked at the photos, I think having the fairy godmothers masked would have spoiled the whole look. I'm guessing 99.9% of the watchers will not find the lack of masks to be any sort of a problem.

I appologise if I said or mentioned anything harsh, and it was not my intention to do so. I'm sorry.

Regarding the Fairy Godmother, I agree that the existing animated version requires a make over for some new improvemts in the looks. A new animated version would be perfect, instead of having a young Fairy Godmother :)
Follow me on Twitter! All Disney related issues that I am aware about and experience myself will be posted online on Twitter regularly and personally by "DisneyMoi", who also happens to be Disney-Me, who is "ME". //https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyMoi.

Enjoy some of my experiences with the Disney characters around the world on Flickr! //http://www.flickr.com/photos/59201102@N06/

littlemermaid83

I'll say it again my Daughter does not notice if she sees Hook as face form than 10 minutes later as animated form. She believes and thats is all it takes. To say that all kids notice is silly, because I can guarentee you that if this bothered my child or she noticed the difference she would say so.
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

Disney-Me

Quote from: "littlemermaid83"I'll say it again my Daughter does not notice if she sees Hook as face form than 10 minutes later as animated form. She believes and thats is all it takes. To say that all kids notice is silly, because I can guarentee you that if this bothered my child or she noticed the difference she would say so.

I did not say that "all" children would notice this difference, but meant to say that there are some smart or very observative children who will eventually notice the difference.

If your daughter didn't notice this, then I suppose you and your daughter are fortunate that it didn't ruin the magic for her :)

I would like to get my point accross again, the point is not only about children or adults, its about the image, look, quality, and magical ora of Dsiney.
Follow me on Twitter! All Disney related issues that I am aware about and experience myself will be posted online on Twitter regularly and personally by "DisneyMoi", who also happens to be Disney-Me, who is "ME". //https://twitter.com/#!/DisneyMoi.

Enjoy some of my experiences with the Disney characters around the world on Flickr! //http://www.flickr.com/photos/59201102@N06/

candydog

Oh no, I much much MUCH prefer face characters in cases such as the three good fairies. Their appearance is much more human than characters such as Hook or Smee, which is why the masks never did for me. Have you seen the Fairy Godmother mask from Cinderella? It's really creepy! No, in my opinion they're far better suited as face characters.

I totally agree that in all those cases it looks bad when they're played by young girls, but in a show dependent on singing or dancing or whatever I understand that. In the case of meet & greets I have seen pictures of the Fairy Godmother played by an older woman, which was great and far better than the mask, and also in the Parade of Dreams in California the three good fairies were often played by older women (not old exactly, more middle aged but made up to look older) and the effect was great there too.

Disney-Me

Quote from: "candydog"Oh no, I much much MUCH prefer face characters in cases such as the three good fairies. Their appearance is much more human than characters such as Hook or Smee, which is why the masks never did for me. Have you seen the Fairy Godmother mask from Cinderella? It's really creepy! No, in my opinion they're far better suited as face characters.

I totally agree that in all those cases it looks bad when they're played by young girls, but in a show dependent on singing or dancing or whatever I understand that. In the case of meet & greets I have seen pictures of the Fairy Godmother played by an older woman, which was great and far better than the mask, and also in the Parade of Dreams in California the three good fairies were often played by older women (not old exactly, more middle aged but made up to look older) and the effect was great there too.

Thank you for your participation on this post. I respect your point of view and opinions. :)

The most important thing to me is that they make a choice between either the face characters or the animated characters. And if they choose face characters, then they should choose women of a relatively close age and not women that are very young to play the role of the Three Good Fairies.

I would rather have them as animated characters than having them as face characters because they look more like the real deal, instead of having younger women that don't fit and effect the description of the Three Good Fairies. :)

With all due respect to all the Disney Parks including Disneyland Paris, which is my favourite, I salut "Tokyo Disney" because they know its difficult for them to employ older women from Europe or America to play the role of the three fairies and the Fairy Godmother. So their solution was to stick with the animated versions for meet and greets, parades, and shows.

However, the US and France both have the capabilities to have people employed to play the roles of the Three Good Fairies, but still continue to use both animated and face characters which is disappointing and disturbing. But at least and with consistency, California always uses face characters, while Florida on the other hand uses animated characters. Even though this is within the same country, it seems wierd that both of them use different versions. When it comes to my favourite, Dsineyland Paris, they continue to use both versions at the same park and make appearances at relatively between 30 minutes from the show and the parade. "Sad".

Scissorsboi

Judging from the photo of the show, I think it would actually be more magic breaking if the Fairies did have the rubberheads. It makes more sense and looks better in my eyes for all characters to be either all 'real' or all 'plastic', it would be odd to see Aurora talking and expressing, and then the Fairies not moving their mouths at all, at least this way it flows nicely.

I do have an issue with Genie as you also brought up, because he just doesn't look right for me, he was designed for a stage show and fitted with that theme, but didn't in his Paris version.

As for the show, for me, the magic is that the characters are there in front of people, and that the castle is lit up in a magical way. The atmosphere of these shows is what makes it for me, and as an adult the Rubberheads would ruin it, the extra reality seeing a face would bring would make the show seem more professional for me.

Let's face it, most kids who go to Disney have most likely got no idea who they are in the first place, sure they'll know Mickey, Stitch, Beast and the other more recently characters, but throw some of the original classics at them and I doubt they'd know anyone other than the princesses.
"...keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things" - Walt.

DedicatedToDLP(Steve)

I had this thread in mind last week whilst watching the show and they looked fine. The make-up and wigs makes them look far older than they obviously are and as Scissorboi said above, they'd have looked out of place with big plastic cartoon heads.
Dedicated to DLP - Celebrating Disneyland Paris

Hotel Santa Fe 07/05, 11/11 and 05/12
Hotel Cheyenne 07/02, 11/02, 07/04, 12/05, 07/06, 10/06, 10/07 and 09/10
Sequoia Lodge 12/03 - Honeymoon Suite
Hotel New York 11/12
Off Site 05/13

littlemermaid83

Quote from: "Scissorsboi"Let's face it, most kids who go to Disney have most likely got no idea who they are in the first place, sure they'll know Mickey, Stitch, Beast and the other more recently characters, but throw some of the original classics at them and I doubt they'd know anyone other than the princesses.

I'm lucky I have one of those children who know 98% of the characters seen in the park.  :thumbs:
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow,... You're always a day closer to my next Disney trip!

tinks_1989

Quote from: "Disney-Me"- Genie:
Genie was an animated character "for ever and ever". All of a sudden and without a real good reason, he appeared as a face character in the Mickey's Magical Celebration show. And at the same time he appears for meet and greets in the park in his animated version. Is this right? Was Disney like this in the past? the answer is simply "NO".

- Captain Hook and Mr. Smee:
Hook and Smee had the same happenings as Genie. It is unfair that Disney continues to copy and paste this technique on popular characters. As an adult I find this hard to take in, how are children supposed to react to these changes and still belive in the Disney Magic.

I also really hate the fact these characters are now face characters I think they do it so the characters can interact more with the audience as masked characters dont talk!

But I love the masked characters they just look so much more like the characters we love!