Discoveryland Lava Rocks?

Started by luke85, March 25, 2009, 01:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luke85

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"It looks like it could be on the right, but I remember more flame than this.
That's what I thought, from other people's descriptions I always imagined the flames to be bigger. But I certainly think it looks like the orange light is behaving like fire, it just looks a bit weeny!

There's some more "fire" in the centre of the picture between the crack in the rock. Watch the video, it's a lot clearer.

Timbo

As I remember the fire effect was bigger , it is such a shame this was switched off , it was one of the best effects in the park,but even the smoke would still be good !
I tend to think it was a cost cutting measure , although I was told by a CM that it was for safety of the ducks.I suppose if they were swimming around and the flames suddenly erupted ,as they didn't burn all the time, it could be "alarming" to say the least.And there is always some idiot throwing napkins etc into the fire to see what happens ! It set the scene for Discoveryland being built over a volcano , which is a bit lost now  :(

Festival Disney

I thought we should document the refurb of the lava pools in full, so rather than clog up the Effects/details thread, I'll post a "refurb roundup" here.  :lol:

At the end of March, the pools were completely drained of water, so that all the utilities could be replaced:
(pictures are by "Mika" on Disney Central Plaza)

After the work had finished (02/04), the pools were re-filled, and this is the finished result:
(pictures by "waterprof" on DCP)

A short video of the new bubbling:
[youtube:24cr1155]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XerevNiR7hU[/youtube:24cr1155]

A green dye was then added to the water to make it appear more natural:
(pictures by Mika)

And finally, lets take a look at the pools after dark!  :)
(first pic by "Nono95370", rest are by "Mika")

Source
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

dagobert

Thanks for putting the pictures together.

The Lava Rocks look really great, especially during night.

Josh

Wow! They really do look amazing with those effects back.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Columbiad

Wow - I love the bubbling. I love the way it travels around the pool! At night, when lit up, it'd make a nice substitute for the fire.

Martyn

I actually think the green water looks quite vile, and dirty.

peter

Looks good, but a second tier half way up the rocks in it, and surely a fire effect out of the water but in an inset for the fire jet would be okay?