Too many toons?

Started by MagicStar, May 09, 2009, 07:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicStar

I take the comment of lil-shawn to start the discussion:
Are there too many toons at DLP?
It seems, as there are enough guys here, who like to comment it.

Quotei completly argee with you davewasbaloo, i think its a shame what the imagineers,
and the entertainment department bring out of light. It´s not understandable why they
think the visitors just come because of the toons.
i know this is not a good comparison, but lets take some of the other theme parks in
europe or around the world, they get visitors too and they don´t have toons at all...

For me, there are two points.
First: Disneyland has to go with the time. Yeah - others parks get visitors without toons.
But exactly thats the unique selling point for Disney. To ride an Roller Coaster at get a nice themeing -- most of the "non-disney-freaks" go to europa park.
Why do I go to Disney?
All the other parks in europe improved a lot. They learned from Disney. The big difference is: At Paris, people can meet their childhood heroes

The second point--
I hate MMP. Its cheap. And thats for me the point, why disney more and more fails in going with the time.
A Example: I just showed my cousin a video of the new MMP-Show. His words.. hmmm its the same show, than 5 years ago!!!
Now its time for Disney to improve!!! The same songs, the same characters and the same sort shows for the last 17 years. They have no new ideas!!!!!!!!!!
[size=150]Let\'s put the Walt back in Disney![/size]

Walts heir

i agree there are many toons but its great for little kids who love them

dagobert

I don't have any problems with meet and greets, but why are all new attractions based on toons. From the last five attractions (ToT, Cars, Crush's Coaster, Stitch amd Buzz Lightyear Laser Blast) only one (ToT) was not based on a toon.

And now they are building TSPL and it is based on toons.

mommy2ash

i can only speak for myself and my group but we love the toons. i grew up watching disney movies and i love the way they come to life. i love the other parts of dlp too but i think the toons are fantastic.
Santa Fe Oct 08
Santa Fe Feb 09
Santa Fe/Sequioa Lodge Nov 09

Willow

We've had this discussion before this topic was created, back in May. (Link)

I'm staying out of this discussion, this time. Both sides of the argument have strong views.

davewasbaloo

The bottom line is this. Disneyland was never built for children or to showcase toons. It was a park built in 1955 where the whole family could play and learn together. If that had never been a successful formula, WDW, TDL, DLP and HKDL would have never been built.

I have not issue with Meet and Greets, they have their place. But toons should ONLY BE A SMALL PART of the experience. It was supposed to be a highly themed experience that brough many themes to life. Disney has largely forgotten this. And that is why despite being a fantatic for most of my life and striving in my career to be able to aford to go often, I am losing hope.

Between the attractions in the pipeline and the entertainment on offer, Disney has lost the plot. And it will cost them. In Europe, there are now more over 60's than under 16s. It is essentual that the parks offer something for everyone. heck, my Great Grandmother was in her late 70's the first trip and fell in love, and she then went to DL 3 -5 a year until she died in her 90's. She loved being able to see live bands, dance to the big band on the weekend, ride a cruise through the jungle, see pirates and ghosts, go to space and imagine doing things that an elderly lady could not do in real life (and I as a young lad loved that too). The characters for many were a slight diversion.

Instead now Disney seems to have become for little ones and girls only (everything launched in the last 10 years except ToT). It is eroding it's potential. And it is harder to defend as a grown male fan (yet it used to be very easy to defend).

So yes, there are too many toons, and it makes me want to vomit.
since 2001 (many before that)