Veal Sausages - the new Disney Menu Enfant.

Started by king_spoon_ian, July 27, 2009, 07:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbo

I know the standards of raising veal vary between the UK and Europe , and no one knows Disney's policy on this , but then you can question are all the eggs used free range ? And an egg has had less of a life than a young calf.......
As said it is a can of worms and you could go on and on argueing this forever,as we sometimes do at home !!! For the record ;I do eat veal (prefer British) ,when I can afford it! and only buy organic free range eggs.
Its enough to turn you vegetarian once you get started !!! :roll:

id@53

Quote from: "Timbo"Its enough to turn you vegetarian once you get started !!! :roll:
I say, steady on there Timbo, no need for drastic measures  :lol:   :lol:
\'A fine bunch of water lilies you turned out to be. I\'d like to see anybody make me wash, if I didn\'t wanna.\' ...... \'Next thing you know, she\'ll be tyin\' your beards up in pink ribbons and smellin\' ya up with that stuff called, uh..."perfoom".\'

king_spoon_ian

QuotePost subject:  Re: Veal Sausages - the new Disney Menu Enfant.  

king_spoon_ian wrote:
To be honest, I'm still not sure whether I like the sound of the solitary confinement you're presenting as being the better option. Is this something that happens to all cattle, or just veal?
In my experience, with the exception of "suckler" reared beef cattle, the vast majority of commercially farmed calves (be they being reared for veal, beef or dairy herd replacement) spend the initial part of their lives seperated from one and other. This reason behind this is that calves, like any young mammals, are highly susceptable to rapidly spreading diseases and by keeping them apart their health and feed intake can be closely monitored.

king_spoon_ian wrote:
I also know that veal is a very controversial subject, which is why I was questioning Disney's logic in putting it in their kids meals.
It's not a controversial subject for everyone. Veal represents 10% of the EU beef market, with average consumption per capita amounting to 1.7kg per head. France and Italy have a long tradition of consuming veal and together, these two markets account for 65% of total EU veal consumption, with 4kg consumed annually per capita.

king_spoon_ian wrote:
For the price they're selling it at, the veal sausage seems an unusal inclusion too, as I was always under the impression that veal was expensive
So is steak or pork loin.

Steak or pork loin aren't in the kids meals though. The point I was making was that people were saying that even if it is veal, they'd be happy that their children are eating a high quality meat, whereas I'm not so sure it would be a higher quality meat, due to the price.

kiki_304

Quote from: "id@53"
Quote from: "Timbo"Its enough to turn you vegetarian once you get started !!! :roll:
I say, steady on there Timbo, no need for drastic measures  :lol:   :lol:

LMAO

My DH and 2 sons are vegetarian. lol

I am not though.  I eat meat on the odd occasion and I know everything that I eat whether it be bones, beetles or other additives.  But I do tend to live like a veggie 99% of the time.