Are the stones for real?

Started by roaldbergmann, January 19, 2008, 10:42:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roaldbergmann

Hi. I've never been to dlrp, but am going to may. I've seen tons of pics, and was just wondering: Is it real stone? I mean at Indiana Jones, The Castle, Pirates, Skull etc. Or is it just some type of cheap material?

Nicholas-c

its all fake im afraid... its concrete outer with a hollow inner, that way its light weight, strong and easy to construct...

i will try to find images to illustrate and show you what i mean

edit: found this on a website

QuoteConcrete sculptures are generally made by creating a form in the rough shape required, typically from chicken wire. Concrete is then sprayed onto the form and sculptured and textured and painted to create the desired finish. Disney use some pretty advanced techniques for creating faux rocks, benefiting from 50+ years of creating them. If you've been to a Disney park you know it's almost impossible to know whether a particular rock is real or fake.

August 2003, 04, 05, 06, 07 and 08 - With family
Halloween 2008 - Best trip ever
July 2009 - All alone

Krollok

The stones are made of a special kind of concrete, so they are semireal stones.
People who have never been to dlrp usually think the stones are made of styrofoam,
but they feel like real stones.

disney_donutter

you know, even though I knew they were fake.. They don't Look Fake. It is very very good! You wont be dissapointed!

Alpop

Quote from: "disney_donutter"you know, even though I knew they were fake.. They don't Look Fake. It is very very good! You wont be dissapointed!

I would definately agree with this statement. When building DLRP the designers / builders / imagineers really made the extar effort. If you compare WDW's Big Thunder Mountain rockwork to DLRP's Big Thunder mountain. DLRP wins hands down.

A recent book I just read says that the concrete layer sometimes is up to 8" thick. So it is built to last and probably weather over time too.

Oh and you can see how well they have moved on if you look at the rocks at the Canadian pavillion in EPCOT. I think they look like dollops of ice cream!

Hommi16

I read somewhere, that the only castle of all Disney parks, which is made of natural stones is the one in paris... true???
dec. 23rd-jan 2nd WDW