Does anybody else think DLP is badly lit?

Started by jonathan, December 27, 2012, 03:37:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan

For a resort thats open all year round and late into the evening (often when dark) I found DLP to be quite badly lit.

Our recent trip 2 weeks back was the firts time I'd been when the park was open in darkness and while the Village is very well lit as a nightspot I foumd that in the park itself once you leave Main Street the lighting is not so good- especially in Frontierland.

Maybe it's just me but you'd think the place would be lit up a whole lot more making it safer and easier to fund your way around at least or have DLP been spending all their electric budget on Dreams? lol

DopeyDad

Hi, I agree its 'low' lit but not badly IMHO. It's one of my favourite parts of adventure land and frontier land that you can explore it in the near dark. We usually go in autumn or winter. It fits the story so much better too with the thematic lighting.

jonathan

I think it's awful- every part of the park after dark.  Compared to WDW in Florida which is very well lit (or at least it was the last time I was there) and also theme parks here in Britain- Thorpe Park. Chessington, Adventure Island etc.

Making my way around alone may not be so bad but with young children and pushchairs it's not so pleasant.

Fair enough I can get the 'theme' of Frontierland being dim but considering that the pavements are quite uneven with many a pothole and trip hazard some much better lighting would be appreciated.  Maybe they don't play the blame claim game over there like in Britain eh? lol

perrollaz

I thought the same two weeks ago- but for me it was a positive surprise. It gives Adventure & Frontierland so much more  an adventure/exploring/excotic feeling- I love the big fire torches at the Adventure land entrance & at Indy.

disneydreamer_x

We all thought this on our last trip too we thought it was particulary bad in Adventureland too - it could be quite dangerous as some of the ground is uneven in some lands especially frontier and adventureland!
I think they should do some low floor lighting to light the floor up so you can see where you are walking but still keep the atmosphere! :D

Josh

I was thinking this last time I was walking through Frontierland at night. I'm sure it used to be brighter...
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

natalie1313

i thought it was really dark last year for halloween, i thought that i was maybe just for that event but my recent trip a few days ago i found it was the same. Personally i can see the dangers because it is really dark especially in adventureland! but i find it gives the atmosphere a magical fun feeling but that might just be me!

DisneyDonna

We stayed at the Davy Crockett Ranch last november and imo that was even worsely lit than the parks.
It was nearly impossible to find your cabin since it was so dark.

benjy

It does seem quite bad  because I walked through Adventureland at dark a couple of weeks ago when it was quiet and I wasn't even sure if the area  was open!
Working xmas 2012!!! \":D\"

claire2281

I have to say, I've wondered several times about how they get away with potential health and safety issues in Frontier and Adventure lands. I've not only noticed the terrible lighting but also how slippery the surfaces are (particularly in the Skull Rock area) when they get wet.

I'm personally not going to make a fuss and say it's dangerous and they should do something about it, I'm just surprised that they can get away with it in this day!
My Trips:
03/2009 DCR -- 07/2009 DLH -- 03/2010 Cheyenne -- 07/2010  DLH -- 12/2010 SL -- 03/2011  Cheyenne -- 08/2011 NBC -- 12/2012 HNY -- 03/2013  Cheyenne - 12/2014 SL -- 03/2016 Cheyenne -- 07/2017  Cheyenne - 12/2017 SL - 08/18 - Cheyenne - 12/2018 NBC - 07/2019 Cheyenne

gldc

Frontierland is horrible at night, I remember the big thunder mountain queue being especially bad. I actually watched once in line as person after person tripped on the same spot because it was so dimly lit.
DLP Visits: Summer 2003 // April 2011 // Christmas 2011 as a Cast Member // April 2012 // April 2013 // Returning June 2014 to September 2015 as a Cast Member // February 2016

WDW Visits: Summer 2013 as a Cast Member // September 2015
DLR Visits: August 2013 // September 2015

My Cast Member blog - http://www.mepipe.com

DisneyWizard

Yes! Especially Adventureland and Frontierland. Last time I went, I found small generators around the parks powering white globes? It looked like they just inflated. They weren't that useful though, and really didn't fit in.
Insane Disney Lover & Tour guide.

perrollaz

Ah Powermoons (http://www.powermoon.de/info/baustellenbeleuchtung.php) you need them usually to light a construction site. Very surprising to see them in the park?! Maybe the're reading this post? ;-)

jonathan

I am too very surprised that they seem to get away with it.  Atmosphere is all well and good but safety should be paramount.