No new US Disney parks in forseeable future

Started by Owain, September 20, 2007, 05:16:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owain

From Inside the Magic;

QuoteBookings at The Walt Disney Co.s domestic theme parks are not reflecting a broader economic downturn, the companys chief financial officer said Monday.

Travel bookings in the current quarter are up compared with the same period last year, Thomas Staggs told investors gathered at the Merrill Lynch Media and Entertainment conference.

"Im not saying the parks are immune to the economy," Staggs said. "But thus far, were not seeing any impact in the numbers."

International visits to the parks have still not recovered from the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Staggs said. Those visits might be expected to increase because of the weak dollar, but difficulties in gaining travel visas to the United States are still having a negative impact, Staggs said.

The company will likely increase capital spending to beef up its lagging second park in California, Staggs said.

Disneys California Adventure opened in 2001 next door to Disneyland and has been a disappointment to the company, which has steadily added attractions to the park. Disney is not likely to open any new parks in the United States in the foreseeable future, Staggs said.

URL;//http://www.distantcreations.com/blog/2007/09/18/

MSW

in short and simple English please?
Thank you. My English is not that good.

Anthony

Quote from: "MSW"in short and simple English please?
Thank you. My English is not that good.
>> No new US Disney parks in forseeable future

That's about it! Not surprising really, WDW seems to have hit its peak and DLR needs everything focused on DCA. Hopefully this is the real start of "invest in what we've got" rather than "spread ourselves too thin".

Owain

Quote from: "Baloo"WDW seems to have hit its peak and DLR needs everything focused on DCA.

I agree, i cant see WDW getting a new park in a long long time. Its so big and doesnt need one, With 2 water parks 4 themeparks and a night time village, what else is missing?

How about focussing on DLRP !  :P  :lol: Turn us into Walt Disney World Europe ! *JOKE*

Soap

The focus should be on the parts (parcs as you like) that now exist and put all of them at the top where they should be! That should be the standard. Disney Quality instead of Disney quantity!  :D
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Whoknew?

Quote from: "Baloo"WDW seems to have hit its peak.

Do you refer something specific?