Should over 65s be allowed in for Child prices?

Started by Anthony, January 25, 2010, 11:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony

Simple question - should older visitors be allowed in for Child prices?

I noticed that there actually is a (not very well advertised) offer that allows over 60s to effectively pay the Child price, but the terms and conditions are ridiculous. It's ONLY on 1 Day tickets and ONLY Monday to Friday.

:arrow: http://offres.disneylandparis.fr/offres ... nior.xhtml

Surely most people at this age won't be riding as many attractions, and at full price might just end up not visiting altogether, it's too expensive to be worthwhile. And so in the process, DLP lose not only an extra ticket sale but quite a lot in drinks, meals, souvenirs. I'd imagine a full family visiting together with kids, parents and grandparents would spend quite a bit more - go for a nicer meal, see Buffalo Bill, buy souvenir photos, and so on.

So rather than "Adult" and "Child", would it be a good idea to have them more like "Full price" and "Concession" (I'm sure they could come up with better names), with those over say 60 or 65 only paying the reduced price? And have this set for all tickets - 1 to 5 Days - every day of the year?

smurfy74

its a great idea as im taking my mum for her 60th and now i know that i can get her a discount - wonder if i can get my AP discount too - hmmmmmmm

Aveen2008

I guess a cheaper price for anyone is a good thing but....

Do people with certain disabilities get in any cheaper because "they may not go on as many rides" etc? Just a thought really.

If they are going to do it then really it should just be cheaper for them no matter how long their ticket is for etc.

:)
Luv Aveen xoxo

Willow

In an ideal world the cost of admission should be relative to the number of rides which the person can go on.

Under 4: Free - Limited range of rides available.
3-12: Child  Rate- Can go on many rides but not the larger and (usually) more expensive to run.
12-OAP: Adult Rate - Can go on everything.
OAP: Child Rate - Can go on some things, but probably the smaller rides.

Many Theme Parks do offer a lower rate ticket for the disabled, however I have no idea if Paris does.
For Example, the Merlin Parks offer a senior rate which varies but is around the same price as a Child ticket.

davewasbaloo

See, this is the problem I have with modern Disney. BAck in the day, we took my great grandmother on her first visit to Disneyland in California for her 80th birthday. We couldn't keep up with her, and she rode everything except Space Mountain (but she did Big Thunder and the Matterhorn). These days, with the reliance on thrills and toons, there are not as many options as the things she loved - Gt Moments with Mr Lincoln, Tiki Room, Jungle Cruise, PotC, HM, Country Bear Jamboree, the Mark Twain, IASW, Mission to MArs, America the Beautiful, Adventure Through Inner Space, America Sings, the Subs, the Peoplemover etc.

I do not think they should reduce prices for the elderly, I think they should build more attractions that the whole family can enjoy together. The reason other parks discount is because most of their attractions are based on cheap thrills. The Disney experience should be different (after all, they were for their first 50 years).
since 2001 (many before that)

dagobert

I think that people over 65 should pay the child price, although some of them are going to ride an E-Ticket attraction like ToT, SM or RnRC. There are many adults that don't ride such attractions because they are afraid of riding them. So I think that this is belancing the lower price of older people.

The fairest system would be the ticketbooks that were used at first in Disneyland. You just pay for the rides you want to experience.

dagobert

Quote from: "davewasbaloo"I do not think they should reduce prices for the elderly, I think they should build more attractions that the whole family can enjoy together. The reason other parks discount is because most of their attractions are based on cheap thrills. The Disney experience should be different (after all, they were for their first 50 years).

That's a good point. Of course every park needs some thrill rides and rides for the smaller ones, but most rides should be for all. At the moment DLRP is just focusing on children (princesses for example) and thrill rides. Although I'm a big fan of thrill rides I really want to see a new dark ride for all ages, either in DLP (TLM) or in WDS (Ratatouille or TSM).

Anthony

Just for comparison, that much publicised Senior ticket at Tokyo Disney Resort offers a similar discount and is only available as a 1 Day ticket - BUT can be bought any day of the year, none of this stupid weekdays only: http://www.tokyodisneyresort.co.jp/tdr/ ... etail.html

Seems like a missed opportunity for DLP to cash in on an extra market. But what do we know.

davewasbaloo

Or in California, they do not offer this, but there are a shed load of live performances throughout the park that the elderly lap up, including the ballroom dancing at the weekend. This would be my preferred direction of travel (but then again, my fav Disney memories in childhood were travelling with 60 - 90 somethings in the park). DLP does not cater as well.
since 2001 (many before that)

pussinboots

Absolutely! Attracting the elderly would be great for a myriad of reasons. They don't clog the E-Tickets (at least not very fast ones), they buy the sort of doo-dads and objets d'art that we want Disney to sell (think glass figurines and framed art), they like to dine out (as Disney used to think all Europeans do), they appreciate the less flashy elements of a park, such as benches under shady trees or things that involve reading or patience, they don't vandalize, shove or spit, and only rarely throw tantrums — in short, they would boost all worthwhile elements of the resort to counterbalance the nuclear family of stroller-pushing, hamburger-eating princess dress-buying averages that has dominated all decision-making at the resort for ten years.

Let them in for free! Hurrah for the post-war generation, I'd say.