Earl of Sandwich in Disney Village (Now Open!)

Started by MagicKenny, December 11, 2009, 08:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

penfold12

Apologies for the slow uptake but what does "under the candy cane" refer to?

pussinboots

The candy cane in question would probably be the row of shops beginning with the Disney Store and ending with World of Toys, which has a striped silver-and-red roof. (Why does it have such a fanciful roof? For the benefit of whom? Birds? Did Gehry foresee Panoramagique?)

A hideous block, made worse and worse by a lack of upkeep on one hand and misguided renovations on the other, as has been reiterated a thousand times. I hope they'll knock it down once World of Disney opens.

The other side of the street can be fixed more easily, as we've seen with Starbucks. But how do you make this monolithic thing appealing?

Martyn

QuoteWith the help of the WoD store, the shops and restaurants under the "candy cane" will all be put out of use.

I dont quite think the WoD store is going to mean the Disney Stores have no use?! They need more than one shop in the Village! Especially as the WoD store will sell differen't stuff to the actual Disney Store.

Though I agree that some of them shops could be done up, such as Disney Fashion and Hollywood Pictures.

And to be honest, if the Earl opening causes the closure of the New York sandwich shop, we cant really blame the Earl for that? Competition is a good thing, and if the New York shop cant compete with either their prices or quality, then they either adjust themselves, or close.

penfold12

Thanks, I figured as much. Surprisingly, on that photo the Village doesn't look too bad. Admittedly that picture looks like it was from shortly after the opening. 19 years of poor upkeep and stupid additions (Deflated tacky ballons anyone?) have made the village awful. WDW and Disneyland both have shopping/dining areas that are full of charm and look inviting. Disneyland's Village is part of the Grand California Hotel, and still looks good!

Considering the weather I am still to this day surprised that a cold steel structure was signed off and built rather than something more sympathetic to the weather and climate. Additions such as the planting have helped, but on the whole its still awful.

As for Earl of Sandwich, looking at the new pictures, it looks very tight and shoe horned in when you see the bridge. It looks like an after thought as its that close....

dagobert

Quote from: "penfold12"Thanks, I figured as much. Surprisingly, on that photo the Village doesn't look too bad. Admittedly that picture looks like it was from shortly after the opening. 19 years of poor upkeep and stupid additions (Deflated tacky ballons anyone?) have made the village awful. WDW and Disneyland both have shopping/dining areas that are full of charm and look inviting. Disneyland's Village is part of the Grand California Hotel, and still looks good!

Considering the weather I am still to this day surprised that a cold steel structure was signed off and built rather than something more sympathetic to the weather and climate. Additions such as the planting have helped, but on the whole its still awful.

As for Earl of Sandwich, looking at the new pictures, it looks very tight and shoe horned in when you see the bridge. It looks like an after thought as its that close....

I also think that DV looks nice on the picture. Today the village isn't a very invitational place and I really don't like these ugly ballons. Downtown Disney in Florida is wonderful compared to DV and there you want to spend some time. DD offery more and different shops and more variety would be great at DV. Nearly all shops sell the same stuff.

Is New York Sandwiches operated by Disney or by Group Flo? I've never eaten there. Are the sandwiches good? I can imagine that they are overpriced compared to the quality you get. I think that Disney can't wait until EoS is open, because it is operated by a third party and so they don't have to pay the CMs, but Disney still earns money with the lease. If NY Sandwiches belongs to Disney, I'm sure they will close it to save money and they will turn it into a retail store.

paterdave2

Quote from: "Martyn"
QuoteWith the help of the WoD store, the shops and restaurants under the "candy cane" will all be put out of use.

I dont quite think the WoD store is going to mean the Disney Stores have no use?! They need more than one shop in the Village! Especially as the WoD store will sell differen't stuff to the actual Disney Store.

Though I agree that some of them shops could be done up, such as Disney Fashion and Hollywood Pictures.

And to be honest, if the Earl opening causes the closure of the New York sandwich shop, we cant really blame the Earl for that? Competition is a good thing, and if the New York shop cant compete with either their prices or quality, then they either adjust themselves, or close.

Well The disney fashion I can agree with that but Hollywood pictures That one needs to stay.
I just love that little shop. It's to bad they blocked off the second floor but that diorama of the castle is just breathtaken.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

Martyn

^ Thats the Gallery you're on about, not the Hollywood pictures. I love the Gallery, though it is a little small.

QuoteIs New York Sandwiches operated by Disney or by Group Flo? I've never eaten there. Are the sandwiches good? I can imagine that they are overpriced compared to the quality you get. I think that Disney can't wait until EoS is open, because it is operated by a third party and so they don't have to pay the CMs, but Disney still earns money with the lease. If NY Sandwiches belongs to Disney, I'm sure they will close it to save money and they will turn it into a retail store.

In my opinion that would actually be a good idea. They could then extend the Gallery Shop.

paterdave2

Here are some more construction photo's I found on Disney central PLaza.

We even have the first windows in placew.
My own Radiostation on Radionomy. listen to AYFM on: http://ayfmradio.playtheradio.com/index.cfm

Riebi

also interesting: the view from rainforest
Wer nämlich mit "H" schreibt ist dämlich.

...the DPG is watching U...

Martyn

^ What do you mean by that?

Josh

I can't wait to see this when it's done. I'm sure it'll give the Village quite a welcoming look.
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]

Festival Disney

Thought you'd all appreciate seeing the other concept art's not found in this topic  :thumbs:

Source: Disney Central Plaza
Past trips:
Nov 1997 - SF - 3 days
May 2003 - WDW
Aug 2009 - Off site - 4 days
Jul 2010 -  Disneyland Park - 1 day
Dec 2010, Jul 2011  - Ibis Val d'Europe - 6 days, 4 days
Apr 2012 - HNY - 4 days
Dec 2013  - NPBC - 4 days
Jul 2013 - SL - 5 day

Martyn

Very nice.

The upstairs area reminds me a lot of the McDonalds upstairs seating area.

Soap

Looking very good!  :thumbs:
Can't wait to eat my first sandwich @ one of those nice window seats
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Josh

By the way, are they bookshelves on the walls? :?
Disneyland Paris
    [li]January 2000, 2012[/li]
    [li]April 2012[/li]
    [li]August 2009, 2011, 2013[/li]
    [li]New Year 1997-98, 1998-99, 2001-02, 2002-03, 2003-04, 2004-05, 2005-06, 2006-07[/li]
Walt Disney World
    [li]August 2008[/li]