The Beautiful Signs of Other Disney Resorts

Started by Anthony, October 19, 2009, 07:18:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pussinboots

Quote from: "Kristof"Why do you think Disneyland California excels in these details nearly all the time?  Do you think it's because Imagineering is nearby or because their guests visit the resort more frequent and have higher expectations?  

I don't recall seeing elaborate signs like this at Walt Disney World or Castaway Cay.  And I've even seen photos of Tokyo Disneyland with the same "This area is being refurbished..." signs like we do (including the Constructor Mickey drawing).   :?:

I too think it's both. I've said it before, but there's a culture there in which basically the whole state cares about this stuff — but I suppose it's the right state for that... That person who designed that Red Car sign is probably as much a Disney fan as the many Annual Pass holders who frequent the parks, or, oh, John Lasseter in his Aloha shirts.

I doubt the person who designed the *insert any much-hated Entertainment-designed piece of crud at Disneyland Paris* would know what the Enchanted Tiki Room is, or who Annette Funicello is. Not to be a snarly douchebag, but it's probably true. On the other hand, the person in charge of the Small World Celebration modifications probably does know these things, as we've seen.

The guests and management of Walt Disney World are indeed not nearly as picky, and things are getting worse there. There is plenty of evidence that the place was once run by more anally retentive folks in the Californian tradition, but I suppose that's just a byproduct of the fact that it's run by the same company. Just like our wonderful park is a product of the same people, who have left a long time ago.

Quote from: "Anthony"Remember the walls around Central Plaza when they were building the new stage, with that rather nice MMP design completely covering them? I don't know why DLP haven't done something like that at Toy Story Playland, advertising the New Generation Festival.

While there was nothing wrong with those walls — or many such recent projects, or indeed the Mickey maintenance man — there is a slight difference. What we're seeing at Disneyland is something that connects directly to the heart of the Imagineering projects. What Euro Disney does is always either related to its current promotional campaigns or they make it up on the spot. The last time we saw anything like that Disneyland stuff is when they made that sign for the Make-A-Wish Foundation location.

(On the other hand, it's Disneyland that has had some of the most hideous, most inane campaigns on earth. Celebrate what?)

pussinboots

Tokyo DisneySea's version of the construction worker Mickey.

Anthony

Quote from: "pussinboots"What we're seeing at Disneyland is something that connects directly to the heart of the Imagineering projects. What Euro Disney does is always either related to its current promotional campaigns or they make it up on the spot.
I was going to say earlier - perhaps it should be built into the Imagineering of each project that WDI also design the construction walls to surround the site. That appears to be what's happening at DCA, where their work is spanning several years.

Since like you say, Paris do things like this tied into their campaigns, perhaps we'll only see the Toy Story wall decorated once the new theme year has begun, and people begin to arrive wondering why it's not open yet.

pussinboots

Well, I should eat a bit of crow now I suppose, looking at that construction wall at the foot of the castle. I wonder what happened there? Normally, they would surely have used it as advertising space for the Magical Year of Party or similar.

I'm tempted to think our recent hero from Small World Celebration may have had something to do with it, but that's a rather wild guess.

But yes, absolutely, involve Imagineering in these things. In fact, involve them in almost everything that's erected in the parks. Or at least have them glance things over with a red pencil.

The Butlin Boy

dagobert

At least the construction fence at the castle bridge looks nice.

http://www.dlrptoday.com/2010/01/16/cas ... ost-thaws/